scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you get a detector that works well in heavily mineralized areas, it will still work in milder soils. The only way to find out is with a metal detector. It would only matter, if you bought a metal detector that cant handle heavy mineralization. You should buy the best you can afford, you get what you pay for.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you planning on hunting and what machine are you looking at?

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can afford an MD that has a ground balancing feature, you should get that- it "tunes" the detector to the type of soil you're hunting.

The soil here where I live is fairly mineralized overall, but one or two spots have been heavy. It's a great feature to have when you go someplace new and don't know what to expect.

OP
OP
bettendorfJoe

bettendorfJoe

Jan 23, 2013
Quad Cities (Iowa/Illinois)
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
I "want" a Garrett AT Pro for relic/coin hunting and surf/beach hunting. I have lots of land locally (Eastern Iowa) that I have been researching and we make several trips to Florida and California every year.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in S IL near stl and have an ATP. I usually gt a reading of 85 to 87 on my vdi when ground balance so the soil in my area is pretty mineralized. Lots of coal mining years a go and still some coal mining not far away.

I suggest like the other guy did that you get a machine with the ground balance feature

OP
OP
bettendorfJoe

bettendorfJoe

Jan 23, 2013
Quad Cities (Iowa/Illinois)
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
I live in S IL near stl and have an ATP. I usually gt a reading of 85 to 87 on my vdi when ground balance so the soil in my area is pretty mineralized. Lots of coal mining years a go and still some coal mining not far away.

I suggest like the other guy did that you get a machine with the ground balance feature

So you are having problems with yours when ground balancing?

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm in Oregon and I'm getting a pretty consistent 91 for GB here (In the Salem area).

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I "want" a Garrett AT Pro for relic/coin hunting and surf/beach hunting. I have lots of land locally (Eastern Iowa) that I have been researching and we make several trips to Florida and California every year.
I seriously doubt the AT Pro is #1 in heavily mineralized soil. You can't even hunt wet sand at the beach without turning down the sensitivity. The best machines I've found for "bad" ground is multifrequency machines like what Minelab makes.

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope I don't sound to inexperienced, but...what do you mean by "consistent 91"?

You can hardly be much more inexperienced than I am ( I'm really new to all this too ) :tongue3:

It's just that, in the three areas that I've been hunting these last 7 months or so ( Separated from each other in a "triangle" with
30-35 mile "legs") I get a reading of 90/91 (Highly mineralized as I understand it?) at all three parks when I GB.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm brand new also and ended up chasing lead glazed bricks the other day. My md is really cheap with no identifier on it, so I dig everything.

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm brand new also and ended up chasing lead glazed bricks the other day. My md is really cheap with no identifier on it, so I dig everything.

That's interesting as hell(!) The stream I hunt 2-3 times a week after work is "FULL" of those things (There was an old planning mill next to
it 100yrs ago). I get "hits" on them all the time (Kind'a-Sort'a pisses me off lol). Thanks for letting me know that others "feel My pain" :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread