Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old homes, the older the better has been the most productive for me, but church yards and cane fields have given up silver coins. I have found silver rings in campgrounds, playgrounds, and ballparks, near volleyball and basketball sites.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm by no means a expert but from what I've read from the old timers silver oxidizes. And since it does it becomes harder to pick up or comes up as junk. So you might be going over silver and not even know it or just thinking its a pull tab. I just started out and all ready come to a conclusion I'm just going to dig everything to make sure, expect ally in non trashy areas. Now my guess of where to find it would be around homes that were stately or out west in old gold areas where miners might have dropped it. Here in the east once stately homes or beaches or old home sites. Thing is at old farm houses unless they did very very well there won't be any unless by accident. Since most farmers were poor everything went into the farm. I think most silver or gold coins found or really anything of great value was lost by a child or teen. Or got thrown out in a rag by accident like when doing laundry. Since adults in the silver era needed that money to. Live. Now you might find some around old RR stops, stagecoach, hotels, car parks, rest stops, resorts, taverns, stuff like that where people get loose with their money.
But think about if you drop a 20 you are problem going to look for it if it around your home. Same with a farmer and there silver coin. I think homesites are more of a relic places other then a coin hotspot. Not saying there's not any just not riches. I actually believe you have a good chance of finding a stash inside the foundation perimeters of homes barns sheds or any used building, even old coops for chickens. That's because during the depression era banks weren't insured so if they were robbed the bank managers would not let the rich suffer but passed the lose onto the farmers, so they kept there money at home. My great great grandpa was like that hiding money everywhere. So to find stashes your best bet would be to search in areas with high bank robberies or a criminal element in that area. See bank robbers stuck to certain areas back then since it was actually pretty easy to hide in plain site(not as populated) then in huge cities. Also robberies stashes would be in rural areas since no one would pry into you burying something like a nosey city kid would have or a citizen turning it in. Well I think I've rambled on long enough hope this helps. Like I said not a expert just a dreamer and thinker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread