A question about deep digs

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright was at a local school today and had 2 very very deep hits. I have a 29.95 special from best buy called a novigear. I can find coins 6 inches deep I dug 2 dimes tonight at that. 2 quarters barely showed up at 1 one inch but dimes and pennies loud and clear. Anyways the deep suckers ,I dug a foot and kept digging sweeping as I went to see if still in the hole. I only have a 6 inch or so coil and my hole was that big. Now my coil won't hardly pick up anything outside directly under it and was getting good signals. At 1 foot I started hitting clay and rock. I was finding glass bits and some wood. Could that coin really been that deep. And with the two site within 2 feet of each other I figure wrestling kids. But I quit since I didn't want to screw up the yard to much. Anyways my question is could it have been coins that deep, it wasn't a pipe nothing in between 2 sites.
Sorry about the length lol.

Upvote 0

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Nickleanddime, welcome to TNet. It sounds like your detector is working fine if you are finding dimes @ 6". I have not heard of a novigear detector but one reason for losing signal is a low battery- you might try new ones. Your loss of target @ 1ft+ might have been a 'halo' effect of iron decomposing/ rusting to dust, or maybe a ground mineralization effect. Good luck and HH
yelnif

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the machine is working, imean like was said I haven't heard of that one nor did I know best buy had them lol change up ur batteries it could b goin threw them quicker then u think,another thing that would help in recovery by more then half would b getting a pinpointer,there a tool that once u use ur gonna wonder how u did with out, good ones r 100+ but u can get a cheaper one called can-Tec at harbor freight, that would b a good pair to start out with & move up to something of a brand name if u like the hobby without spending alot to find out it wasn't for u good luck

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be a large piece of iron. They often fool the machine, and register as a coin. Try lifting your coil and see if it still gets the signal with the coil a fooo, or more off the ground. That would indicate a large target.

OP
OP
N

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help guys. My batteries re good just put it in before I went out yesterday. There's no hits in between the 2 spots so I don't think it's iron. Like I sad it runs into a bunch of rocks so it might be below that. Since I'm just using a old kitchen knife it's hard to dig. And my coil picks it up right under it but not off to the side so must be smaller. If I move it closer the sound gets louder but further away it just buzzes no tones. It'll stay there since I can't excavate any bigger hole since it is a school. It's called a novigear target shooter it was sold a a "kids" Christmas you in the early 2000's it's really cheap. In fact it won't even pick up pull tabs or steel nuts.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Nickleanddime, welcome to TNet. It sounds like your detector is working fine if you are finding dimes @ 6". I have not heard of a novigear detector but one reason for losing signal is a low battery- you might try new ones. Your loss of target @ 1ft+ might have been a 'halo' effect of iron decomposing/ rusting to dust, or maybe a ground mineralization effect. Good luck and HH
yelnif
I'd have to disagree. If he's finding dimes and 6" and quarters at only an inch, something is wrong there. Since it's unlikely the machine has a depth meter, you have to rely on sound. A good shallow target and a deep, big, junk target can sound the same on most low-end machines. The only way you'll know is to keep digging the target until you know what it is. You might also look into a pin pointer to help locate those elusive targets.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow for 29.95 .....expect much? :BangHead: im shocked its finding dimes at 6 inches . My only advice would be, if you find that you enjoy detecting, save some money and buy a 2 or 3 hundred dollar machine. The pinpointer he is referring to at harbor freight is a cen tec I believe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread