Garrett AT Pro or Minelab 505

issombeituni

May 26, 2013
I have been doing some serious research. I am at the $600ish range. I live in the midwest and hunt old parks and farms and homesteads. I have read tons of good and bad reviews on the at pro and only good ones on the minelab 505. Maybe not as many people own the 505? But i would like yo hear some of ur guys info.

Top features looking for

Depth, battery life, ease of use also best detector i can get for the loot

Thanks

Upvote 0

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
go with your gut you won't be dissatisfied

sgratrider

Sep 21, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen many minelab 705's for sale under what your range price is. These are used, but seem to be good deals.

UnrepentantSinner

Sep 12, 2012
NW KS
Detector(s) used
Deus, AT GOLD, AT PRO, TM-818, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the same boat as you last year, both good machines. Went with AT PRO, because its waterproof, haven't been disappointed by it yet.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the 505! ML has "kool" delivery vehicles...
81bc56776e04ef833603277e5aeb1c57.jpg

hate in 3...2...

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe it's just me, but it seems the Exterra line doesn't get as much attention as the higher end Minelabs or the Garrett AT's for that fact. I think Garrett was smart coming out with the AT line, but after that they kind of get left in the dust in my opinion. I would go with the Garrett if it were me though! Good luck!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ATP is great, never swung a Minelab. But if you don't plan on getting it wet, it might be worth looking at the Xterras?!?!

There's A LOT of MDs in that price range, most people just opt for the ATP because it really is the iPhone of the detecting world. The Teknetics Line up has some great MDs in that range and the Fisher F5 is great- a lot of horsepower for the money instead of a lot of money for the horsepower so to speak. There are two Tesoro's that come to mind- one is the Deleon- it's pretty nice, super sensitive!

Don't make the mistake of thinking its (ATP) automatically what you "have" to buy for that price range or budget.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread