Went to the beach at charles mills, and it stunk

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well went to the beach today and struck out. Well you gotta get started to strike out though. Payed my 5 bucks got my permit and off I went. No ones been since June so I figure a good day. Well my md wont cut through the wet freshly graded sand. I tried everything all kinds of setting but nothing. I had to scrap the sand to keep the thing from going crazy. If I got more then a inch off the ground crap tone I call it. Plus like a idiot I wore steel toe boots! Talk about two newbie mistakes in one day lol. Well live and learn. Good luck out there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A novigear, it's a cheap garage sale find just something to start with on a small small budget. It was sold as a kids toy at best buy many years ago, I seem they sold it for 30 bucks. It works great in regular soil even hard pack. But sand and pea gravel and even bark it won't work. It kinda boggles my mind.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there were several things working against you that day. First, you have a machine not suited for wet, salt sand. Two, the steel toed shoes. Three, the fact that the sand had been "graded". I assume by that you mean it's been sifted. Some beach machines will pick up just about everything in the top couple inches of sand. In dry sand, that detector should work ok.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just try it again, following cudamark's advice, especially on the steel toes boots.

OP
OP
N

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice, I forgot I had the boots on because I just received permission to md a couple of places so I was excited. I thought that about the sifter taking the stuff out when I seem it. We just had a huge flood here and the lake was covering the beach, so they'd have taken the wood and other junk out. I'm going to hit these other places and let it dry out and pack back down.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't even wear my boots with metal eyelets, my detector will pick then up too. Just some food for thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions