Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both Cincinnati and Hamilton County Parks allow it with a free permit.

OP
OP
S

Spike5887

Jul 22, 2013
South-West Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything special needed to get that permit or a wait time on it

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
mrwilburino, part of your link is for state parks there in OH. And as such, it would only deal with just that: state parks. As for the rest (county-by-county for some counties that answered back the inquiry): Well .... it's a good thing someone asked right? Lest how else would we have known they decided to say no?

OP
OP
S

Spike5887

Jul 22, 2013
South-West Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Middletown Ohio recently passed laws making it illegal to hunt in public parks

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
…….. That is what happens when you ask permission ….. You get screwed in the long run...

Well yes. This is certainly what puts it on some city's radar as a "pressing issue" that "needs attention". Ie.: if there's nothing that addresses this "can I metal detect?" question, then yes: some city's have been known to MAKE a rule or law (or "policy" anyhow) to address such a gap or void in verbage.

But humorously, in all such cases, if you were ever to ask them: "...But why??," and "What harm am I doing??", then their answer is NOT going to be: "Because someone asked permission". Neeooohhhh. Instead, the justification to the rule or answer they just gave, will always be things like "holes" or "defacement" or "cultural heritage", etc... Right? To which the md'r mumbles under his breath: "Durned those past md'rs who must've left holes". Or "Durned those archaeologists". Right ? But notice that there wasn't necessarily ever a case of "holes" etc... Those are just the "Go-To" reasons to justify the rule they just invented (it IS the connotation, afterall, eh?). The REAL reason for the issue being front and center to them is .... guess what? : MDr's going in and grovelling at city hall. As if the activity were somehow inherently evil, and in-need of desk-jockey's princely say-so !

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made it a point to boycott places that dont allow metal detectors. We have to many reason not to support the vendors and parks if they dont want good honest folks like us I thier parks as it sure as hell ai t our parks any more.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On occasion, I have shown my wife all the trash that I have dug from a public park versus the good stuff. She says the city should put me on their payroll in the sanitation department.
I was hunting a city park this past summer and a city supervisor just happened to be at that park having lunch. He came over to me and said "hope you're not tearing up the ground here" with a sarcastic laugh. I said that if I were him, I would be more concerned with the damage from his huge mole problem. I showed him the trash I had accumulated and told him that he wouldn't even be able to see where I had dug but the moles on the other hand, do damage to the grounds, cause trip hazards and don't get rid of trash that they come across. He laughed and started asking me about metal detecting. It is always wise in this hobby of ours to make friends, not enemies.:icon_biggrin:

OP
OP
S

Spike5887

Jul 22, 2013
South-West Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i found out yesterday that this code is about destroying turf but i also heard from a grounds keeper that a person has been using a shovel and digging holes not needed and then barely covering them up he also told me that i need to talk to city council members themselves and find out more info......

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well i found out yesterday that this code is about destroying turf but i also heard from a grounds keeper that a person has been using a shovel and digging holes not needed and then barely covering them up he also told me that i need to talk to city council members themselves and find out more info......

Don't talk to city council members in Cincinnati or anyone else that think they have any power or you will get a NO. Look it up yourself and if there is nothing stated about metal detecting on public land, do it and be discreet, fill your holes like you've never been there and collect trash as you go. I have hunted every public space I can find in Cincinnati and have never been run off. Go at low traffic times and choose wisely and you will be fine! Good luck!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Spike, let's read through your post S-L-O-W-L-Y:

a) So the code that someone's telling you forbids metal detecting, does not actually say "no metal detecting". Right? It's verbage that is about "destroying turf". Right? Ok then ... DON'T DESTROY TURF. Ie.: if you leave no trace of your presence, (cover your holes, stomp them, ruffle them up, etc..., ) then presto: you're within the bounds of this law. Same for "alter", "deface", "molest", "damage", etc.... What do they all share in common as their inherent meaning: THE END RESULT.

b) as for the part about someone telling you that someone else is leaving holes: Don't be so convinced this actually ever happened (or ... at least ... was/is the reason for a current policy anyhow). Here's why: Because ANY TIME you talk to city persons about md'ing (like if you're asking permission, or are being booted while in-the-field) they are going to say: "Because of holes". Does that necessarily mean there was ever a case of this? No. It's just the mental knee-jerk image that a guy with a detector conjurs up. And is therefore the easy "go-to" answer, to justify the decision they just made. And to the extent there MIGHT have been actual cases of this, well then: That person was ALREADY breaking a rule. Ie.: the rules that forbid damage, defacing, etc....

c) While the semantics of alter versus altered do carry legal technical truth, yet this does not gaurantee that every last gardener or park worker is going to love you and roll out red carpets for you. So ... I hate to say this, but .... just pick more opportune low-traffic times, when such lookie-lou busy bodies aren't present. Sort of like nose-picking: not necessarilly illegal, but .... sheesk, don't we all use discretion in our timing so as not to offend others?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... Some guys learn the laws then push the limits too. "I'm legal","the law says", when they should walk away until a different time.

good point. Just because a place might not have a law or a rule specifically forbidding metal detecting, does NOT mean you or I should go at high noon, wearing neon orange, waltzing over beach blankets, at an archaeologist convention. Doh! Yes "discretion" and common sense come into play here. If someone's got their panties in a wad (and thinks you might harm earthworms or something), you just give lip service and move on. And .... avoid that one individual in the future.

Bmorgan3

Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any one from preble county in here please pm me have a few questions if you know any of the old tales around here

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Any one from preble county in here please pm me have a few questions if you know any of the old tales around here

Welcome to the site, Bmorgan3. This is an old thread. You may want to post in the Ohio thread.

Follow this link:

Ohio

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread