narrowed down my new budget metal detector to these 3

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Personally I like having a screen. But then again I love gadgets and technology...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

bigfokkerdog

Jul 22, 2013
Tumwater, WA
Detector(s) used
Traded up from a Garrett ACE 350 to an ATPro with a Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey hardhittinz, did you decide on one yet? Guys, he wanted opinions not an argument over the machines.....how about listing strengths and weaknesses of the machines you own in his price range and let him decide from there, maybe even post what you have found with similar machines???

bigfokkerdog

Jul 22, 2013
Tumwater, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not saying don't consider the Aces but, you can get the F2- 2 coils and a F pointer and a Lesche for $215 at bigboy hobbies. I haven't looked in a while but I think they still have that deal going?!?!

Be warned that the F pointer is crap compared to the Garrett or Minelab pin pointers - but still better than no pin pointer at all.

Just bought the Garret at that price last week. Don't know about the F2 deal. I went to my local store here at blackjackmetaldetectors in Renton WA. I would definitely recommend going local to buy if you have that option. You might pay a little more but the information from your local store and the guys that work there and are in the hobby is extremely valuable. Just IMHO.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dollar for dollar a F2 is hard to beat! The resale value is pretty good also,if you decide to sell it when you up grade detectors. They ALL find targets,it's up to the operator to determine,if it a GOOD target or NOT!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
H

hardhittinz

Greenie
Jul 27, 2013
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer ex,Fisher f2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im still deciding and lookin online etc,was lookin at the tesoro md's but read some reviews of issues with power lines so be my luck i get it and goes hay wire whole time due to power lines.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im still deciding and lookin online etc,was lookin at the tesoro md's but read some reviews of issues with power lines so be my luck i get it and goes hay wire whole time due to power lines.

A lot of detectors have issues close to power lines called EMI

OP
OP
H

hardhittinz

Greenie
Jul 27, 2013
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well my old beat up bounty hunter has no issues at all around my house.the lines are above ground for the most part.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok good luck

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The only EMI issue I have noticed out of my sons F2 is when we had a lightning storm coming up on us and each time my cell phone gets a push notification (if I am swinging the detector with phone in pocket)...

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well my old beat up bounty hunter has no issues at all around my house.the lines are above ground for the most part.
Generally, the more sensitive the detector, the more susceptible to EMI, at least in my experience.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Generally, the more sensitive the detector, the more susceptible to EMI, at least in my experience.

Yup, he's right.

I've swung the F2 quite a bit now, not as much as my F5 I'll admit- but I have yet to experience anything that couldn't be calmed with push of the old "-" button on the sensitivity side! The F2 is pretty dang stable, and sensitive enough to go very deep- well deeper than you'd expect for a $200 dollar md with a standard 8" concentric coil.

But your doing the right thing- consider everything from all the major brands. Don't go out and buy something just because someone on here tells you to!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yup, he's right.

I've swung the F2 quite a bit now, not as much as my F5 I'll admit- but I have yet to experience anything that couldn't be calmed with push of the old "-" button on the sensitivity side! The F2 is pretty dang stable, and sensitive enough to go very deep- well deeper than you'd expect for a $200 dollar md with a standard 8" concentric coil.

But your doing the right thing- consider everything from all the major brands. Don't go out and buy something just because someone on here tells you to!
I tried lowering sensitivity as that lightening storm approached but it wasn't enough to calm it down, but that's not normal conditions...

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I almost got struck when I was a kid, in scouts. The area where a bolt "lands" gets charged, you can feel what seems to be a HUGE amount of static electricity 3-5 seconds before that bolt comes down out of the sky- a warning to all-

...if your ever swinging in bad weather, or conditions that appear to be getting bad, and you feel something like what I described - haul ass!!!

And yeah Diesel I could see that making a detector go nuts as well!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yeah I almost got struck when I was a kid, in scouts. The area where a bolt "lands" gets charged, you can feel what seems to be a HUGE amount of static electricity 3-5 seconds before that bolt comes down out of the sky- a warning to all-

...if your ever swinging in bad weather, or conditions that appear to be getting bad, and you feel something like what I described - haul ass!!!

I agree, don't swing during a storm. this one was approaching fast and we were just finishing up. Hard to leave when the coins just keep popping up!:occasion14:

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, don't swing during a storm. this one was approaching fast and we were just finishing up. Hard to leave when the coins just keep popping up!:occasion14:

Lol yeah it's hard for me to leave period when the finding is good!

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

And when you start moving from the stormy area, make sure that you DON'T keep your detector above your head. That could end badly...

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hardhittinz

Greenie
Jul 27, 2013
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i just placed a order..Got the Fisher F2 with 8" and 4" coil....

bigfokkerdog

Jul 22, 2013
Tumwater, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice choice..happy hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread