Mount Dora, Florida Main Street Renovation

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Saw an article in the Lake Sentinel today that said the city was doing a street renovation downtown. The pavement has been ripped up and the sand piled high. Mount Dora dates back to the 1890's when those very streets were nothing but sand mixed with pine needles and leaves. There has to be silver, maybe gold coins and relics mixed in among that soil. I can't hunt it as much as I'd want to. I can kneel down to dig but getting back up is just too much for me with my leg braces plus my balance is shot. So I'm letting those of you who are in good physical shape to tackle this site and let me know on here what goodies you find if any. Not many TH'ers would give up a good site like this so enjoy. :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
hope someone takes your tip and heads over to take a look. I've done well in old-town sidewalk tearouts. Seateds, tokens, barbers, and even one of my gold coins was from sidewalk tearouts. Street (asphalt/road) tearouts aren't as good. D/t they are/were engineered with deeper compaction/DG layers. And also because streets, prior to the days of asphalt, were often repeatedly filled in with fill, to perpetually fill in the ruts of the wagons. Thus sidewalk tearouts seem to be the best. Assuming they were dirt or wooden walks before they became cement.

Good luck someone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread