i got 600 bucks for a detector...help me

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Give Bart a call at Big Boys.
I called him today, going to get an Xterra 705, they got a deal where you get a Minelab pinpointer for free before the end of the month.
I am ordering one tomorrow!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, do you have a detector now, if so what is it? I ask because you only want to go forward not back.

Do you have a pin pointer? Are you budgeting for that as well as a MD? Or just the MD alone?

What kind of targets do you seek?......and..... What kind of environment/ lands will you be hunting on?

If you have not even asked yourself those questions, please consider them now- it would be bad to buy something that won't suit your needs.

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
If this is your first machine do some research on different models.
Garrett AT Pro, Xterra 705 or a Tesoro (Vaquero, Outlaw, Tejon, Deleon) depending on what your hunting.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What he said ^^^^

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco is great, used them many times. Just bought pair of grey ghost amphibian head phones from them, thinking of buying another pair for my backup excal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I had $600 to spend, my choice would be a tesoro vaquero and a pro pointer.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kellyco is great, used them many times. Just bought pair of grey ghost amphibian head phones from them, thinking of buying another pair for my backup excal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I used Kellyco to purchase my Fisher F2. I have to admit I thought that I was getting a great deal on one of their bundles (Which included the 4in. coil), but now that I have the detector, I find myself not using half of the accessories (but others might make use of them). However, the shipping experience was a nightmare. I was SO UNBELIEVABLY EXCITED to get the detector, and each say I spent waiting for it, I was pretty much salivating over the thought of it. However, after one and a half weeks or so, there was no sign of the detector. So we went back on Kellyco and went to the page of the F2. There was NOTHING AT ALL on the website that said it was out of stock, so we called the sales team to see what was up. It turned out that the unit (or maybe the 4in. coil) had been on backorder the WHOLE time, and that I had been waiting for nothing. I was nearly depressed to hear the news, and we called Kellyco again and convinced them to give us two-day shipping when they received the next shipment of F2s with the 4in. coil, which we were told would arrive in two days. sure enough, after 4-5 days (when the detector was again SUPPOSED to arrive) there was no sign of it. Again, we called Kellyco and it turned out that they had never received any shipment of the 4 in. coil, and they were still on backorder for several weeks. Needless to say, I was quite frustrated with Kellyco. I finally decided that I did not want to wait that much longer to receive the detector that I was supposed to already have, so I called Kellyco and they changed the package I had ordered so that it didn't include the famed 4in coil for the f2. I ended up receiving it a few days later, but to this day, I wish that I had the 4in. coil, and that I had ordered from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nick,

Consider the Fisher F5 or the AT Pro, those are both excellent machines in your price range. The Fisher is a great coin and jewelry machine , and you can buy the detector and a Garrett Pro pointer for close to your budget. If you need waterproof capabilities, the AT Pro would be the better choice.

Call me if I can answer any questions for you. Be sure and mention the forum for special pricing.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Nick,

Consider the Fisher F5 or the AT Pro, those are both excellent machines in your price range. The Fisher is a great coin and jewelry machine , and you can buy the detector and a Garrett Pro pointer for close to your budget. If you need waterproof capabilities, the AT Pro would be the better choice.

Call me if I can answer any questions for you. Be sure and mention the forum for special pricing.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

I've got an F5 and its pretty great, I was impressed with the ATP as well.

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another vote for the AT Pro, I considered 2 other machines in my price range, all vendors led to the AT Pro. Barts is one to consider as well as MillerMDZ, Tom over at Miller gave me a great deal and in-house financing. But I think Wayne over at Metal Detecting Stuff is worth a call, he's always right here to lend a hand and advice. Go AT Pro and pay no mind to naysayers, you'll be happy you did.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
If I had $600 to spend, my choice would be a tesoro vaquero and a pro pointer.

I was getting the Vaquero but then ended up getting the Outlaw instead which came yesterday. $550 with 3 coils.
Really, really like it.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you don't want a visual display and want to go by sound only, the Tesoro Tejon would be my choice. If you want more than just audio, look at the whites line. As others have mentioned a Garret pro pointer will be a nice addition. Kelly Co did me good with no problems in the two separate orders that I had thru them. If I had known about the websites sponsors at the time, I would have given them a fair shot for my business as well.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the Teknetics Omega is near your price range very deep ,lite,and great tones.
When I run mine in the country i can max it out in All Metal and that threshold is the sweetest/steady i ever heard great detector...just my 2 Cent Piece.
Gary

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also vote for the Omega. It can get a little noisy at times, but if you can run it hot, it's a great detector.

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
minelab safari,(or look for a quattro;have seen them for as little as $350).turn on and go,deep, a killer at the beach.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit Craigslist. In my area you get ones that are only used 2 to 3 times and then people give up. There's a garrette pro right now this years model for 125 bucks dude got tired of it. But I love Craigslist you can get good items for cheap plus you can try before you buy to see how it feels and operates!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Johnnyboy on Safari !

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Tesoro outlaw with the 3 coil package is one of the best values out there right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread