Dumb Person Needs Help

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am brand new to this way of life and my first machine is a Bounty Hunter Camo Model!
I'm asking input from those who know! Is this a good machine to learn on and what might be
the general feeling of those that have used this brand before. I will appreciate any input ! I know
there are those out there that can help. Thanks a million for any reply!!

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
TK: I've never used a Bounty Hunter machine, but after reading the spec's
on yours I see no reason that it wouldn't be a good, entry-level machine.

Your best bet is to read the manual carefully, then get out there and do some
detecting with it.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all about the practice in my opinion.. I have and ace 250 and some say it's a subpar machine but I can pick coins up with it all day long.. It just works for me.. But my at pro is also just as good but by far a more sensitive machine.. My point is it's all in what you're comfortable with.. It comes with time and lots of practice.. HH and much success..

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help Dizz! And the advice!!

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get a little frustrated from time to time when diggin' up Uncle Festers 1986 Beer can just when I think I;m on to something hot!
I know you right about practice! I will try to hold the coarse with my OL' BH and make a go of it before I lose my marbles and buy an expensive machine that is smarter than me !!!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are many who view the BH brand as nothing more than toys. But they're not bad machines. Now I will say that you get what you pay for....

That being said, it's my humble opinion that BH does provide a good value for the dollar. They are cost effective and allow people to get into the hobby on a budget.

Some of the units in the BH family are actually really decent- the Pioneer 505 is probably as good or better than anything in its price range.

In the end, it is what it is, they are entry and mid level detectors though, the Titan line maybe past what I'd consider mid range.

BH is waaayyyy better than 100% of the Chinese copycat MDs you can easily find online. Nuff said.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
first your not dumb -=- you know you need help and came here to get it --frankly that's smart .

now while not the "big name brand" high dollar machines --bounty hunters are not "toys" , they are much better quality than many "Chinese made "clones" or knock offs in general -- and can find things at a reasonable depth * --getting to know your machine and what it is telling you is vital -- for that you will need "time n the field with it " say 50 to 100 hours -- some items "electrical conductivity" are quite similar --like nickels , pull tabs , and gold rings * --the key to sorting these items out from one another is to properly set your discrimanation level -- but using a pull tab and a nickel or gold item --up the disc until pull tab drops out of detection then check and see if the nickel /gold item still hits --if not very slowly lower the level until it does -- at this point the nickel / gold item should come in clear and crisply --but the tab should sound "fuzzy or crackly" --the tone difference should be noticible .

Last edited:

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first your not dumb -=- you know you need help and came here to get it --frankly that's smart .

now while not the "big name brand" high dollar machines --bounty hunters are not "toys" , they are much better quality than many "Chinese made "clones" or knock offs in general -- and can find things at a reasonable depth * --getting to know your machine and what it is telling you is vital -- for that you will need "time n the field with it " say 50 to 100 hours -- some items "electrical conductivity" are quite similar --like nickels , pull tabs , and gold rings * --the key to sorting these items out from one another is to properly set your discrimanation level -- but using a pull tab and a nickel or gold item --up the disc until pull tab drops out of detection then check and see if the nickel /gold item still hits --if not very slowly lower the level until it does -- at this point the nickel / gold item should come in clear and crisply --but the tab should sound "fuzzy or crackly" --the tone difference should be noticible .

See, I told you!

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
You have a good detector. It will last you many years and after a while, you'll look a a location and start sensing some areas to start hunting at. There a lot of different types of detectors - no one of them is best at everything (I have 9 detectors - some very specialized). Take the time to learn how it works and what its telling you. When I first got my Whites 5900 (back in the late 1980's), I discovered that lots of knobs = long learning curve. I spent a lot of time finding very little.

I ended digging a patch in my yard with a known target every 18 inches (there is a golf tee pushed level with the ground directly above each target - an assortment of coins and common trash at different known depths. Nothing is deeper than 8 inches - most is at 4 to 6 inches deep. This allowed me to start recognising what targets sounded like. I also have targets that are good with a nail (or some other trash target) right next to it (this seems to happen a lot where I detect). I also use it to compare different detectors and help people to learn how to detect with their detectors (I have real gold targets too since I also Prospect).

As a result, I got to know my Detectors pretty well (and refresh my memory on how they respond any time I am taking one out that I have not used in a while). If anything, I learned not to trust meters that guess what is in the ground. You will miss a lot of rings if you do that. Places were there is a lot of trash tends to have good targets right next to trash. I am also pretty good at pin-pointing.

The most important thing is to get out and learn what your detector is telling you. It's interesting just how often someone with a low end detector finds something extreamly valuable. It's some times beginners luck, or persistence. Stick with it and dig up any target that you are unsure of - you'll soon learn what your detector has to say.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own and use the bounty hunter too. Its not indestructible, but well made. It will sniff out what is in the ground. My wife uses it when she goes with me hunting. Read the manual. There is some tips you may find useful. Truth is, Bounty Hunter came out with the basic tech we use today on the VLF detectors. Foulks do consider it a toy, I even got to calling mine that. But it is very capable, good on batteries, and has been used since at least the 1970's.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Get out in our warm, genle sunshine, watch the cute little animals that only come out at 2 in the morning because of our beautiful, warm summer days and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. You have a decent machine and you will find treasure. Hang tough mi amigo...

rabbid-digger

Jul 1, 2013
fennville,MI
Detector(s) used
garret atpro
propointer
sampson 18" digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started in the spring with a quick draw 2 and found a cold ring and 3 silver coins. Then I went to a 350 and found less then to the atpro and have 1 silver half to show for it. The bh is a decent starter machine and the 4" sniper cool is a great investment for only $40. Good luck.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention, the circuit boards in them are the same as the T2 and my F75 if I was told correctly. The built in programing and auto ground balance is very easy to use.

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see what you're saying! Thanks for the help! Rest assured when I get ready to graduate there won't be anything purchased unless it's American made! regardless of price!

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I feel a little more at ease with this machine after the good tips I've received! I think I get a little impatient and wonder if the equipment is my problem in not finding quality digs!
Thanks for your help ! It is much appreciated!!

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is certainly great advice! I will take and run with it!

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have yet to find anything of value,but I get a kick out of every dig that produces something to talk about. I'm about to drive everybody I know nutz over the junk I think is cool!! I will hang in a practice!1 Thank You so much for the encouragement!

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Again !! I realy appreciate all the help I've received in the last couple of days! I really know this site will make this a ton of fun and enjoyment!!

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Im going to get in the middle of that ! Right Now!! Thanks Ivan!! Sounds like a outstanding tip!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread