Digging big holes with the AT Pro

RobSFRD

Jun 5, 2013
Urbana,Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some deep targets with the AT. I have watched the pinpointing videos, and have spent alot of time with my AT, but I still dig huge holes at times to have my buddy come over with a Whites and say u r an inch or two off. Very frustrating . But my AT found things way deeper than the Whites, just not as good finding THE hole. Anyone else had this problem?

Upvote 0

Vladio

Mar 5, 2013
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, AT Pro, ProPointer &
Bounty Hunter (kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got an AT Pro in May and use it a couple times a week and am about 95% with pin pointing. When I get a hit I want to dig I do a small swing left to right where the beeps are tight together then hit the PP button, swing tightly left to right and stop when the PP scale's maxed. Without moving off the spot I turn 90* then swing tightly left to right and stop when I get a max PP again. I then dig under the first hole infront of the pole. This is with the big DD coil too. The coil field is big front to back and narrow left to right. Once I started turning 90* and PPing it worked very well.

Btw, I used the Pro setting. It seems to be faster reacting.

OP
OP
RobSFRD

RobSFRD

Jun 5, 2013
Urbana,Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vladio, I also started using this technique a few weeks ago and my PP has been spot on. Don't know why it took me so long to figure it out.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exact pinpointing is always an issue with DD coils. Fact is, two identical MDs can have a different hot spot. This is the exact reason a decent pinpointer is a Godsend!

By the way, this pinpointing issue is why I didn't buy an AT Pro. I did borrow one, and it reminded me of the Ace 250 I once owned, when using an aftermarket DD coil. It was a waste of $100!

mntnflyr4fun

Jul 12, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Etrac with 6x8 SEF & ML 11" Pro coil, MXT PRO with D2 coil, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best to figure out how to pinpoint in your front yard. Big holes in public property are the bane of this hobby.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Post man!...I too have the same issue that you are having..Glad some people are chiming in with tips!

JASinBTCT

Aug 20, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Deteknix X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic video-tutorial, skip_a_loo! It's definitely going to help me with my new AT Pro. Thanks so much for posting it!

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I posted elsewhere, DD coils are a mess to pinpoint with. Due to manufacturing differences, two otherwise identical coils will have different hot spots. Points out the need (excuse the pun) for a really good handheld pinpointer.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Funny enough,I just watched a video my husband sent me about pinpointing with the DD AT-pro coil and it helped me to understand a little better.

firefighter281

Nov 29, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab Se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just find your hotspot by swinging side to side, the hold that hotspot and back your coil up slowly until you lose the signal (it will be at the very front our your coil) thats where you dig. My GTI 2500 was a pain to pinpoint with when using the DD, the Minelab SE is a champ! I enjoy the 2500, but have hit places (including my own front yard) with the 2500 OVER and OVER and my Minelab is picking up a few thing the 2500 missed. Time to hit all my spots over with the Minelab!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a bigger shovel, works every time.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 things to recommend. First is to get the 6x8 coil. Pinpointing is a breeze with it. I struggled for over a year with the 9x12.

Second is to get a pistol probe pinpointer. When the pro shows an target run the probed along the ground and it will show EXACTLY where the target is
if is is with 3 to 4" deep. I mean spot on...you could use a screwdriver to dig if you wished. For determining where to dig this pulse pinpointer
runs circles around the propointer. Once the hold is opened the propoints shines.....it is just that it cannot get the range of the probe.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was out yesterday with mine and worked a lot harder to understand this problem. I too was having problems but then I started watching the PP scale across the top of the screen and what a difference it made. Hold the PP bottom out side the target, Sweep from the side slowly and watch the scale. When it reaches the longest limit it will go, you are on the target. Now continue holding the PP button and barely move away from you. The scale should just move very little. You should be PP at this point. It worked for me and I started digging smaller holes(5"around) and the coins were right in the middle. Again, move the PP slowly across the target. It works great with practice. I'm going to order the 5X8 coil, I've had good reviews on it too. Good Luck

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My ATP has been off about 2" since I put my 8x5 coil on it. I am so used to it I know where to look when i pin point. With out a doubt you need a pro pointer to scan the ground after you pin point to see if the coin is within a cpl inches deep. All you need is practice. With the stock coil on my atp I had problems at 1st but once you get a 100 hrs or so you will be spot on. Metal detecting is all about practice and knowing your detector. The more you hunt the more you become attuned to what your detector is telling you.

When i 1st bought my atp I was frustrated as heck because I didn't find anymore with it than my ace 250. Now i average over $5 every time I go out.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

hus4154

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Initially, I had the same problem, but you are correct. The problem us understanding the difference between the shape of the two fields. On a related note, I recently got a ProPointer and that thing is incredible. If you don't have one, get one.

rbhammer

Jun 20, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought my ATP last spring. The machine and I are not really producing the number of targets I expected. The pinpointing video was extremely interesting and will be a big help the next time I'm out (if I can remember it then)! The differences between pro and normal were very enlightening. (I had not noticed the meter behavior in pro mode.) Thank you very much!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread