Your Recommendations?

markanderson

Jul 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I currently have two detectors. One is a super cheap one that helped me learn about detecting, the other is the AT Pro. I'm interested in getting a detector to find smaller caches that can, with the right coil, go down a few feet. Ideally, it would be neat if something has discrimination to separate the good stuff from the trash. I understand with a bigger coil, a lot of smaller trash will be ignored.

Here's detectors I've been looking at. One of the two box detectors, like the Gemini or TM808. However, not much by way of discrimination with those. The White's Sierra Madre with the 25" coil. I really don't know. Any recommendations?

Upvote 0

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know a guy by that name?!?! You from the Memphis area?

Anyway the TM 808 looks great, for what you're describing, it would be a tool to get the job done with. I'm sure the Gemini is likewise, but having used neither, and only going by what I've read, the TM is probably what I'd buy.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Hi. I currently have two detectors. One is a super cheap one that helped me learn about detecting, the other is the AT Pro. I'm interested in getting a detector to find smaller caches that can, with the right coil, go down a few feet. Ideally, it would be neat if something has discrimination to separate the good stuff from the trash. I understand with a bigger coil, a lot of smaller trash will be ignored.

Here's detectors I've been looking at. One of the two box detectors, like the Gemini or TM808. However, not much by way of discrimination with those. The White's Sierra Madre with the 25" coil. I really don't know. Any recommendations?

"smaller caches" ? A "few feet deep" and to "separate the good stuff from trash" ? .

Ok, a defintion is in order here: By "smaller", what do you mean? Jar sized? tobacco tin sized? toaster-sized? etc....

Rotzorn is right: if you're sole purpose is to look for caches, as opposed to individual coins (size of cache aside for the moment), then a 2-box unit is the way to go. It will not find anything smaller than a soda can. Can find objects as small as dominos or tobacco tin-sized stuff, if you try real hard, hold low to-ground, and have very refined balance. But other-wise: soda can sized or larger is what they excell at. A soda can to perhaps 2 foot. A toaster to about 3+ ft., and so forth. Won't even hear pesky nails, solo coins, tabs, foil, etc.... Only big stuff.

But now, they don't discriminate. For that matter, NO machine is going to tell you what is "good stuff" vs. what is not. All they can do is tell you conductivity relative to size. And the two box can only tell large vs not-large.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread