Couple of recent cool finds I could use some help on please!

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Eagle Spectrum, Garrett Master Hunter, Master Hunter II & CXIII. Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, here are a couple of relics I'm trying to find out about.

The one on the left I think is a standard civil war button no? I don't understand the two holes. Did this come like this or did someone punch those holes in there?

The one on the right I was also wondering an age. A "50cent Check!" Pre/post 1900? Thanks!

DSC_0001_zps5bf2d8dc.jpg
[/URL]
DSC_0002_zps20bde0c4.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one on the left does atleast to me look like a button the holes are what look to be punched apart like something ud find on clothing of thst era (cival war)

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm no expert but the button does not look authentic to me.

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I like those tokens. What is the button made of?

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your button is a blazer button (had an iron back at one time). Civil war/military 2 piece buttons have a brass back.
The eagle on the military button is better defined. You can find websites that show images of all the civil war buttons.

My first find was the same and was educated by the experts on the "What is it" forum.
Looks like the holes are an attempt to make use of a button that lost its attachment loop or entire back.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
casarachi--could you kindly tell what the wording is on the obverse of the Department Store token? I can't read it.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
C

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Eagle Spectrum, Garrett Master Hunter, Master Hunter II & CXIII. Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, thanks for the info/thoughts and insight as to what I might have here.

The yard the button was found in was actually my own yard! My family has owned the home since the early 1900's, it's never been searched, otherthan by me and was surprised to find it. IT was totally bent over under a root. My family, namely my aunts and my grandmother/great grandmother were top notch at sewing/repurposing. I thought possibly they had the button and it broke and they made it work by punching the holes... but wasn't sure. My grandmother died in 1980 she was 99. My aunts are gone now too so I couldn't ask them.

Idahotokens, the back reads.... "The holder of this check will be allowed 50 cents rebate on mens suits or overcoats"

I think the button is copper and the token i believe is brass. This was found at a friends house in OXFORD MA. They celebrated 300 years this year so couldn't resist when asked if I would like to look. I found an interesting pin there as well and a WW2 button intact.

VPNAVY, thank you very much for the research and for the links! (an idea as to the date?)

Many thanks!

Last edited:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
casarachi - I can read the back. It is the front (obverse) that I can't
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
C

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be JOHNSON & COLBURN CO SOUTHBRIDGE MASS

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I apologize for doubting your button was authentic,I just didn't know.Great finds!

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the button is a button...but...it was modified from a military issue tunic button...the backing removed, the face drilled and...well...now it is what you have there...

WWII era button face...

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
casarachi--thanks for the clarification! How about posting pics of that token to TokenCatalog.com for the good of the hobby? I could do it with permission if you don't want to. Thanks!
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
C

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idahotokens.... feel free to drag, crop and post!

I donated the "eagle button", to the local historical society. They said they will have it authenticated, but think it's a civil war era button from some research they did via old photos.

Coilygirl... no apologies needed for sharing your honest thoughts. Your gut/first instincts may be right yet!

Thanks again to everyone!

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool I thought it was from thst era actually goin by the thread holes it had

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread