Found a Rock that detected as Metal as Dollar/Half Dollar

mrbensteele

Greenie
May 8, 2013
Shelby Twp
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle 2 SL90, Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200, Bounty Hunter Pioneer Prospector, Treasure Hunter All-Vision Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, im new, and im new to detecting, only did my first hunt today after buying to used machines a few months ago, a White Eagle 2 SL and a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200.
IM new so Im not sure where my first question should go so could someone please assist me and put this where it should be, unless here is ok.
Ok, so today i scoured a river sandbar where rocks have piled for who knows how long. While detecting i found on singe rock that regardless which angle i hit it from, it rang as metal, both machines saw it, and both indicated the Dollar and Half Dollar markers. As far as im aware those markers usually indicate silver, am I right?

Ill upload the images to my photobucket so they can be full resolution, hope thats permitted. Also when i tried to break it apart, it wouldnt budge, only enbedded the chisel like if I was hammering it into something thats not rock, although the outer area looks like long hardened clay. All ideas are welcome, tomorrow a small chunk is going to a shop to be melted, its a large quarter size piece that was sticking out of the rock, looked precisely like silver.

The Rock Photos by stingrayalpha | Photobucket

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The markers indicate something that conducts as well as a coin and has similar eddy currents (in the better detectors). They really have no way of telling what a target is. The parameters of the response programming gives you likely returns.

What you have is likely iron ore or a "hot rock" containing magnetite.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok far reaching could it be uranium? I'm not sure that's the name. It's the substance that started a huge westward rush in the 40-60s in the desert. They used Geiger counters. There was a I love Lucy episode. But anyway could it be that.

OP
OP
M

mrbensteele

Greenie
May 8, 2013
Shelby Twp
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle 2 SL90, Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200, Bounty Hunter Pioneer Prospector, Treasure Hunter All-Vision Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry forgot to say it isnt the least bit magnetic

OP
OP
M

mrbensteele

Greenie
May 8, 2013
Shelby Twp
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried different magnets and none drifted the least bit towards the rock.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It could still be minutely magnetized, or it could contain trace elements or iron or some other metal???

I've actually been dying to find one of these, you hear about hot rocks all the time from the md crowd but I have yet to find one. I think they're cool/interesting!

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found one yesterday! It drove me nuts thinking I was digging a coin wedged between a rock! Nope, it was the rock!

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I come across these "hot rocks" all the time. Iron ore and minerals in the rock can do it. If you find one its worth looking at closely could be a meteorite or have other value other then just a rock with minerals in it.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know much about rocks other they are hard but I know a guy that found some kind of meteorite and got $2200 for it. I guess it may be worth checking out

mikecar007

Aug 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharp Shooter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found six or seven over at my friends field all in the same hole. Once the rain moves in tonight I'll clean them up. I'm guessing burnt coal but no clue.

OP
OP
M

mrbensteele

Greenie
May 8, 2013
Shelby Twp
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not a hot rock, that would indicate a rock, this is metal, Whites Eagle 2 SL VDI rates between 80-90 and shows as Dollar/Half Dollar, bounty Hunter Discovery/Elite 2200 also shows up as dollar. 2 detectors cant be wrong about it being something metal and similar to silver. It polishes and tarnishes like silver, but I know it could be many things. Its not magnetic, not even slightly, not one bit. tried to magnetize a small piece but didnt work. What else do you think?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just test it for silver and see what you get. Could be a chunk of copper too. They ring up as silver if you have a large chunk close to the coil just like an aluminum can does.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I've got a rock I brought home from out in the country for our garden that weighs 60-70 lbs that sets my detector off.
Pretty sure it's just magnetized as there is no gold, silver or anything else to my knowledge around in my area. I even moved it to make sure it was the rock and it is. First time I every came across something like this.
I cranked my disc up to max and it still sounds off on it.

OP
OP
M

mrbensteele

Greenie
May 8, 2013
Shelby Twp
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe ill mess with my Discrim and see if it changes, going forest detecting tomorrow so im gonna test a few things.

dugndeep

Mar 19, 2015
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000,Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200,Deteknix Huntmate pinpointer,Fiskars big grip knife,BH pinpointer,Ace "Little Pal" shovel and a homemade shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be a meteorite?Worth alot of money if it is.

Last edited:

dugndeep

Mar 19, 2015
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000,Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200,Deteknix Huntmate pinpointer,Fiskars big grip knife,BH pinpointer,Ace "Little Pal" shovel and a homemade shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't read all the post,somebody already said meteorite.

mpwuzhere

Mar 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP hasn't been back to this post for over a year to say what they found.....probably turned into a big find worth a lot of money and retired... lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread