First member ever from Georgia (the country) needs proffie suggestions :)

Gurdjieff

Aug 2, 2013
Georgia, Tbilisi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey hey dear friends,
looking threw your posts over here, some adventurous hobbie did start to wake up in me! Once we have a country with very ancient history and too many stories about hidden away treasures, I did decide to get my first metal detector.

As here in my city nobody has got any idea about detectors, you people, the forum community are the only ones I could ask suggestion for.. I so would appreciate your kind replies! If something like this exists, I would like to buy detector with what I could search from 1 to 5 feet depth, everything from coins to chests of treasures. Does a detector with such a wide functionality exist? places I will search are mostly black soil, forest lands and old farms.. being it waterproof is not a must but an advantage. my budget is around 1 000 USD, I totally do not want to start with a cheap model, as I am sure my interest is big and I will just love treasurehunging :))

one more question, is it possible to detect in/threw the brick wall? in our city we have many boildings built century or two ago, because of lots of invasions and not safe situation it was very common to hide away family treasures..

I really will be happy to receive your suggestions and also invite all of you to travel and treasurehunt around my beautiful country together ;)

all the very best,
DaTa.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There's two different objectives that you're giving here (if I'm reading your post right): You want the ability to find individual coins, and larger treasures as well. Then if you want the ability to find individual coins, then you're going to need a standard detector (as opposed to a 2-box unit, which will not find objects smaller than tobacco tin sized object). When you say "up to 5 ft. deep", it's going to depend on the size of the object. Because a "standard detector" that's capable of finding individual coins, will only find an object to "5 ft. deep" if it's the size of a refrigerator :) A standard detector can find a soda or jar sized object to about 2 ft. deep. Maybe some to 3 ft. deep (depending on if you switch over to all-metal mode, etc....)

If caches/treasures are your goal, yes standard machines can find them. And in some cases, as deep as a 2-box machine can. But the advantage of the 2-box machine is that you won't be be-devilled by all sorts of small nuisance stuff. You can "strictly" go for the soda can sized objects or larger. So ideally, it would be nice to have each type machine, depending on your goals at each individual site.

Yes, all detectors can detect "through a brick wall". Afterall, "brick" is just a form of ground, that's not metal. And detectors see through the ground, or any other non-metal object. Air, your hand, soil, water, clay, brick, wood, etc....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread