Best Detector for Gold Rings?? ATP or F5?? Nuggetus in Pac North West Rivers??

1%er

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All

I apologize if this topics been covered. I have searched the forums and need a little more direction.

Also this is my first post so I appreciate everyones time and consideration in answering.

I live outside Seattle, WA. I have access to a few hundred acres where our prospecting club goes out with power sluices, pans, etc

I previously owned an ACE 250 and found a 10k gold ring the first day owning it. Hard times forced me to sell it several years ago and I have had the itch to go back out and at it again.

This time I dont want to dig pull tabs... i give! i give! ill pay for a better detector!

With all due respect to everyones hobby, I personally have zero interest in finding coins - im sure ill investigate the unique ones that I may happen upon..

My intention is to search for gold rings, bracelets, jewelry etc.

I will be searching beaches, volleyball courts, parks, playgrounds, ceremonial sites etc ... but I also want to know if theres a shot here at finding small (perhaps BB size and larger) gold nugs (larger than placer gold) along the river beds where people are sluicing.

Im looking at the ATPro or an F5

leaning towards ATP

Really appreciate the input here ladies n gents thank you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

1%er

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also... since all im interested in finding is gold things... would a gold bug disappoint? maybe I should just get one of those if i dont want to find coins and relics?? All im after is gold nugs and gold jewelry.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Well if you wanna get the gold rings and jewelry your gonna have to dig pull tabs. Sorry but doesn't matter what detector you get if you want gold then you have to dig those tab and foil signals. If you pass em up your leaving gold for others to grab. Now if you upgrade to an AT pro you can hunt for nuggets, jewelry, relics or coins. Maybe not as small of nuggets as the gold bugs will get but you will have a machine that will hunt jewelry and nuggets, awesome beach detector for fresh water especially, decent depth and its water proof to 10 feet.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way to find gold without pull tabs, coins, or relics, is to use special gold divining rods, or an LRL, or search for the end of the rainbow.
It has been said that one can use a digital camera with special filter to seek out the gold aura emanating from the ground but I'm a little skeptical about that one.

kysar

Greenie
Jul 31, 2013
Blackhawk Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, whites TM 808
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The green river from flaming geyser up stream has nuggets. In the park you will need to get written permission from the ranger.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're truly a "1%er" you can afford more than one machine. If you're not, and can only afford one in the ATP price range, I'd go with a PI water machine and hunt the beaches and ocean exclusively. You're more likely to find gold there than anywhere.

mntnflyr4fun

Jul 12, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Etrac with 6x8 SEF & ML 11" Pro coil, MXT PRO with D2 coil, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might want to consider the XP Deus, 4 frequency machine from 4khz to 18khz, completely wireless and modular, Firmware updates available via internet to keep it current, has an all metal mode as well as discrimination modes, seems to be very fast and has a manually adjustable ground balance if you want to use it which should make it a good nugget shooter. It looks to cover lots of hunting styles and is super light and current units are sold with a 5 year warranty.

I have only owned mine for a couple weeks and am primarily a coin hunter (digging pulltabs for the jewelry is tough on an old dog). I also own a minelab e trac which is a coin and jewelry hog although it doesn't like tiny gold incl. fine gold necklaces, gold post style earrings etc. so I bought the Deus to complement and it appears its going to work out different applications.. relatively expensive but seems to be a good value.

And yeah, if ya want jewelry be prepared to dig the pulltabs.....

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might want to consider the XP Deus, 4 frequency machine from 4khz to 18khz, completely wireless and modular, Firmware updates available via internet to keep it current, has an all metal mode as well as discrimination modes, seems to be very fast and has a manually adjustable ground balance if you want to use it which should make it a good nugget shooter. It looks to cover lots of hunting styles and is super light and current units are sold with a 5 year warranty.

I have only owned mine for a couple weeks and am primarily a coin hunter (digging pulltabs for the jewelry is tough on an old dog). I also own a minelab e trac which is a coin and jewelry hog although it doesn't like tiny gold incl. fine gold necklaces, gold post style earrings etc. so I bought the Deus to complement and it appears its going to work out different applications.. relatively expensive but seems to be a good value.

And yeah, if ya want jewelry be prepared to dig the pulltabs.....

The deus loves jewlery Ive found a small 10k earing back 7" at the tot lot 2 weeks ago

OP
OP

1%er

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies gents.

I appreciate the solid input. Ive never spent much time near green river as im up in snohomish... but ill look into that.

Most of the time ill be hitting parks, volleyball courts, sw beaches, freshwater swimming holes, etc. my main goal is to find rings/jewelry.

so between a gti 2500, an AT Pro or an AT Gold..... which will excel in finding rings / gold jewelry if any?

I like the All metal mode in the GTI, the ability to possibly have a better idea of whats in the ground before i dig it with the visuals. Ive heard some guys with the AT Gold find it easier to search trashy areas for gold better than with the AT Pro... however I fully dont understand why if you have better discrimination notching with the pro??

I guess its coming down to what is the best detector for finding gold jewelry $1000 and under... maybe its not even a garrett (they just seem to be priced right and abundant with lots of people using them). Im going to look into that XP Deus as suggested.

and 1%er isnt a reference by any means to political financial jargon. Im in the 99% in that regard.

OP
OP

1%er

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just found a gti 2500 on craigslist for 500 bucks... exc condition. and a scorpion on consignment for 485 at a store i was in today.

OP
OP

1%er

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just as an update... of all things i went with an MXT Pro. Why? Good deal on Craigslist... new never even used ... the guy even had the receipt when he bought it in May. Coil didnt have a scratch on it.

The other reason is that I think its more than capable of doing what I need it to do. I googled the heck outta this vs. that and I have to say that

1) No one has a serious complaint about it
2) people that own them are very passionate about them
3) I believe theres plenty of room to keep me busy mastering it in the long run.
4) they appear to be the benchmark to what all others compare

Im confident I made the right decision.

I was in the gravel parking lot at work and have found 14 modern common coins and 2 shitty cheapo earrings. But HAY! I found 2 earrings... one of these days they will be gold.

thanks all for the help and guidance!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You won't be sorry. The MXTP is a great great machine. I'm sorry I got rid of mine!

discn

Aug 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
my sixth sense and a shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For freshwater and sand i love my tiger shark and wouldn't hunt a freshwater beach without one. If your looking for the small nugs keep on diggin. Whites,Tesoro,garrett,Fisher,ML.It all depends on who's working the machine, and where your hunting. That's the truth.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrates I made s great choice ull b happy

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
1%er,

I am not that far from you. If you want to hunt on a weekend, let me know.

I have quite a few years detecting, so I might be able to offer guidance if you need it.

PM me if you want to hunt sometime.

greengold

Aug 9, 2012
Whidbey Island
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV...saving my clad for a Tesoro SandShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1%er,

I am not that far from you. If you want to hunt on a weekend, let me know.

I have quite a few years detecting, so I might be able to offer guidance if you need it.

PM me if you want to hunt sometime.

Hey Beerguy - I am a hop across the water on Whidbey. Have any input on a beach machine? I am looking at a Sand Shark but would love some suggestions from someone who may have experience on Puget Sound beaches.

mntnflyr4fun

Jul 12, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Etrac with 6x8 SEF & ML 11" Pro coil, MXT PRO with D2 coil, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great choice....own one myself....very fast recovery, top shelf ground tracking...whites service is unquestioned....have fun

just found a gti 2500 on craigslist for 500 bucks... exc condition. and a scorpion on consignment for 485 at a store i was in today.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rings are usually a repeatable signal as they are a nice concentric object. I've found gold that was a 47 on my ATP, which is usually where pieces of foil are. I found a white gold ring not long ago that was a solid 70 which is the zinc penny range. Others have found rings in the low 50s range, which is where you'll find a lot of can tabs and nickles.

Point being, even with a good machine you're going to dig a bunch of junk to find those rings. Good luck with that MXT, I've always wanted to try one. Sometimes that trash that you don't dig is masking out a piece of gold or silver right next to it :3barsgold:

OP
OP

1%er

Aug 5, 2013
Seattle, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks jeremy.. as an update.. my mxt is a coin magnet... I don't dig much trash if my pinpoint feels concentric.

I've been hunting parks that are relatively new in rich neighborhoods...

After a couple weeks I'm really loving my detector!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread