1912-S Liberty V-Nickel – A Centennial Discovery!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1912-S Liberty V-Nickel – A Centennial Discovery!
On 3/17/2012, me and a friend of mine, TrashFinder, acquired permissions for us to detect on
a church property. On this parcel, and before the church was built, there once was a tennis
court, where this old, rare V-nickel had lain underneath the concrete court, for quite awhile….
So when the tennis court was torn down, maybe fifty years ago, this is where a small
grove of, now, 20ft. tall, volunteer, Incense Cedars had started…, which brings us, now, to
2012 – a Centennial discovery awaited!
We had detected quite awhile in a neighboring field where we had permissions to hunt
also, so when we elected to throw in the towel, I hadn’t found much until then (just a costume
jewelry ring), I wanted a crack at that grove trees near the church.
After my first coin, I started to slow down my swing of my Fisher Gold Bug Pro-DP, and
overlapped my sweeps, and BINGO I had my first ever V-nickel! Not ever finding one before, I
never had the need to look into my 1998 Red Book on these kinds of nickels. Later, I found out
this coin is a key date, rare, and it wasn’t in too bad of shape either!
At the time, I didn’t even know where to find the mint mark, so I tucked it away for later
that day – when I discovered I had the only V-nickel from the San Francisco mint, ever, of that
series, and a very low number of minted too – it was the year the Titanic sank!!) Wow!
I’d be interested in the history of the travels of that coin, until it came into my presence!
The coin is still dirty, and delicate cleaning is needed again. This time I’ll use a toothpick,
after a good long soaking in olive oil, which should bring out more details of Ms Liberty’s
crown, and the mint mark on the reverse. The two images of this coin were edited months
apart, and on different scanners, but I think I brought out details enough, to get an idea of the
possible grade and value of the coin – which I won’t sell, its going, with my entire coin
collection, to my grandkids, someday…. Hey, that’s what grandpas do, don’t they?
Signed,
eyemustdigtreasure =)
1912S V nickle3.jpg 1912S V nickleFace2.jpg

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on a key date!

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw I I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, I'm impressed ! I've never seen one before. Nice find !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread