My sons First detector, Fisher F2 or Tesoro Compadre???

greengold

Aug 9, 2012
Whidbey Island
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV...saving my clad for a Tesoro SandShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son's First detector, Fisher F2 or Tesoro Compadre???

My son is saving his money for an entry level detector. He is curious what you all think would be best for him. He likes the F2 but also likes the Compadre and the lifetime warranty. I will be getting a sandshark soon for the saltwater so his machine will be a good backup for general use on land, but a submersible coil would be a plus in case we run into some freshwater. His only experience has been with a BH tracker IV. He is open to other machines as well if you have any suggestions in the sub $200 range. Thanks all!!

Upvote 0

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever you decide just make sure you get one with GB. The little guy will go nuts without it and lose interest quick. My son gave up going with me until I picked another one up.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever you decide just make sure you get one with GB. The little guy will go nuts without it and lose interest quick. My son gave up going with me until I picked another one up.

I couldn't disagree more, everything that has GB is at least $100 past his price range. On top of that, if it's not balanced correctly he will REALLY lose interest fast, as it will probably chatter the whole time- especially in heavy soils.

It's a 10 year old kid, he needs a simple grab and go MD with a limited amount of things to adjust at an affordable cost. Anything with auto GB will be closer to the $750-$1k ballpark unless its used.

I think you've narrowed it down to the right 2 MDs- F2 or Compadre. The Eurotek wouldn't be bad either, it's the same as the F2 guts wise- but with a menu type interface- if I'm not mistaken?!??

OP
OP
greengold

greengold

Aug 9, 2012
Whidbey Island
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV...saving my clad for a Tesoro SandShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do like the multiple coil options of the eurotek.........I am thinking of myself as well because this will be my backup machine for land. I will be getting the Sand shark for the beach, thus I was leaning toward the compadre to keep the Tesoro thing going. Thanks for the input everyone!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The compadre is very simple but kids playing x box or playstation with 10 buttons can surely figure out an f2 or eurotech. Look at it this way if you were getting him a cellphone do you think he would pick one that only made calls or one with a camera and internet.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The compadre is very simple but kids playing x box or playstation with 10 buttons can surely figure out an f2 or eurotech. Look at it this way if you were getting him a cellphone do you think he would pick one that only made calls or one with a camera and internet.

The truth!

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

The problem is, those 'buttons' don't nessacarily lead to good detecting habits.
I have no problem with this new vogue of DROs and 'signal ratings' - it does represent a credible advance in metal detecting technology - but good detecting habits are best developed with a beep and dig.

I can say without pause that the three greatest finds I've ever made all would've been disc'd out or 'scored low' had I been going that way.

So, the kid would definitely pick the phone with the camera and internet but what if that phone dialed the wrong number 20% of the time?
What phone do you want then?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The F2 can still be set to non discriminate. Just tell the kid to dig everything and ignore the numbers at first.

tribe683

Mar 25, 2013
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre w/ 8" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the input! My son and I are heavily leaning toward the Compadre at this point. Who are the Tnet supported vendors of Tesoros?

I bought my Compadre through Tom Miller at Miller MDZ. He is a Tnet supported vendor and I think he gave me a great price. I would strongly recommend him.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RotZorn said:
I couldn't disagree more, everything that has GB is at least $100 past his price range. On top of that, if it's not balanced correctly he will REALLY lose interest fast, as it will probably chatter the whole time- especially in heavy soils.

It's a 10 year old kid, he needs a simple grab and go MD with a limited amount of things to adjust at an affordable cost. Anything with auto GB will be closer to the $750-$1k ballpark unless its used.

I think you've narrowed it down to the right 2 MDs- F2 or Compadre. The Eurotek wouldn't be bad either, it's the same as the F2 guts wise- but with a menu type interface- if I'm not mistaken?!??

AT Pro's are $500 new and are unbelievably simple to use. Much less if you pick up a used one. The auto GB will eliminate the chatter in heavy soil not make more. It's one button to press and your done. It will go twice as deep and you will not be buying a better detector in a few months when you want to upgrade. Kids these days at 10 years old are capable of running any machine out there, growing up with the technology available today does not even phase them learning new things.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont see a great improvement by getting either machine. Maybe you can help him with a few more dollars there dad.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is, those 'buttons' don't nessacarily lead to good detecting habits.
I have no problem with this new vogue of DROs and 'signal ratings' - it does represent a credible advance in metal detecting technology - but good detecting habits are best developed with a beep and dig.

I can say without pause that the three greatest finds I've ever made all would've been disc'd out or 'scored low' had I been going that way.

So, the kid would definitely pick the phone with the camera and internet but what if that phone dialed the wrong number 20% of the time?
What phone do you want then?

I would think think the young mans detecting habits would come from his DAD not his detector.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have to agree with some of the above posts. Kids don't get enough credit for their abilities. In today's computer society the kids are no longer incapable of handling electronics with more than just an on/off button.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would think think the young mans detecting habits would come from his DAD not his detector.

Aside from 'detecting ethics', good detecting habits largely rely on the ear, which is something that must be tuned.

The new technology is trying to sell us on the idea that it can make metal detecting as simple as reading a screen. The problem is the very meaningful percentage of time when that 'rating' is incorrect.

Should the day ever come when they make a machine that does it to a very high degree of accuracy, I'll buy it. Until then, my ears and experience are the best disc I have. Dad doesn't teach that.

Take two 10 year old boys and put them on different, remote islands filled with metal artifacts.
One has a current generation DRO, one has a beep and dig.
Pick them up a decade later, the one who came up training his ear versus reading a screen with marginally accurate information is the more productive detectorist.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have 10 years to wait for the results. Lol

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You don't have wait. They both do the same thing, right now.
One just uses a methodology that is less accurate.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aside from 'detecting ethics', good detecting habits largely rely on the ear, which is something that must be tuned.

The new technology is trying to sell us on the idea that it can make metal detecting as simple as reading a screen. The problem is the very meaningful percentage of time when that 'rating' is incorrect.

Should the day ever come when they make a machine that does it to a very high degree of accuracy, I'll buy it. Until then, my ears and experience are the best disc I have. Dad doesn't teach that.

Take two 10 year old boys and put them on different, remote islands filled with metal artifacts.
One has a current generation DRO, one has a beep and dig.
Pick them up a decade later, the one who came up training his ear versus reading a screen with marginally accurate information is the more productive detectorist.
I take three of my grandchildren to all the totlots in town about once a month. They usually find enough to go to dairy queen, the funny thing is they play rock paper sissors and the loser has to use the beep and dig.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't have wait. They both do the same thing, right now.
One just uses a methodology that is less accurate.

Opinion.

How does a screen make a detector less accurate?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't make it any less accurate at all, it's another tool to aid in the composition of the target. If you used a beep and dig where I hunt you would never make it out of a 20 foot square in 2 hours. You might as well use a sifter and shovel all the dirt through it. On the beach is a different story, a lot less crap in the ground and scoop, shake and done.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Opinion.

How does a screen make a detector less accurate?

It doesn't make it less accurate.
The methodology of resolving that signal into firmware, which then gives it a 'rating' - that is of marginal accuracy- is what makes it less accurate.

Would you like me to create a metaphor so the logically impaired can follow along easier?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread