My sons First detector, Fisher F2 or Tesoro Compadre???

greengold

Aug 9, 2012
Whidbey Island
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV...saving my clad for a Tesoro SandShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son's First detector, Fisher F2 or Tesoro Compadre???

My son is saving his money for an entry level detector. He is curious what you all think would be best for him. He likes the F2 but also likes the Compadre and the lifetime warranty. I will be getting a sandshark soon for the saltwater so his machine will be a good backup for general use on land, but a submersible coil would be a plus in case we run into some freshwater. His only experience has been with a BH tracker IV. He is open to other machines as well if you have any suggestions in the sub $200 range. Thanks all!!

Upvote 0

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I say Compadre.

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Compadre has my vote. I seen a video of a guy hitting targets as deep as 8 inches on relics with it.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If hes anything like my grandchildren get the f2. I have a couple ace 25os and a Tesoro cutlass and who ever has to use the cutlass always whines. By the way the cutlass has three times the features of a compadre with two knobs and a switch.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Compadre a couple of years ago and loved it. Found lots of great stuff, partially, I believe because I dug anything over iron on discrimination. Screens on detectors can convince you not to dig because you think you know what you are digging. Screens LIE and you might leave something good behind. I bought a Lobo Super Traq and let my daughter have the Compadre and she outhunts me most of the time. It loves jewelry & coins and will float right over the bottle caps. She has found 8 or 9 rings so far with it. LIFETIME WARRANTY and great customer service if you ever need it.

tnTesoro

Jun 24, 2013
Mt. Juliet, TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Compadre paid for itself in a couple months. I'm using the Vaquero now and aside from some really deep junk iron it hasn't found anything that my Compadre wouldn't have hit. They are awesome little machines.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've said it before, I'll say it again- the F2 is seriously underrated for an entry level MD. I have not tried the Tesoro, I'm sure it's an excellent machine too.

My vote would be the F2 though, I can't say enough good things about it. It's the wife's detector officially, but on those quick 30 minute trips to the park or tot lot it's just more convenient than having to balance my F5! It's a superb MD for coin shooting. $0.02

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RotZorn, I have no doubt the F2 is one great detector for the money, but for a kid the Compadre is cheaper and easier to use. I have taken my 7 year old with me and trust me when I say simple is better!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RotZorn, I have no doubt the F2 is one great detector for the money, but for a kid the Compadre is cheaper and easier to use. I have taken my 7 year old with me and trust me when I say simple is better!

I'll go with that, but...... The F2 might have a little room the kid to grow into too?!?! It's not overly complicated, but we all know that it's not the "last MD you'll ever need to buy!" Either....

But the same could be said for the Compadre?!?!
Let the kid hold em, check them both out, maybe let them choose???

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro. It has a life time warranty. Check out the Youtube videos on it. It pushes a lot of power for its size and good iron and nickel discriminate with one knob. Not bad for $160.
Just my opinion but my tesoros all still work great. At that price you can get a cheap pin pointer and maybe a digger as well.
He will have the compadre for years.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both. I like both.
The Compadre seems to do better on aluminum trash. I like the F2 for everything else!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
6 votes- Tesoro

4 votes - Fisher

Not that that means anything, I just thought it'd be fun to count them up!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fisher IS underated but like the Alpha 2000 (another good entry level machine) wasn't quite as good when it came out so take care if buying secondhand.

The Tesoro is perhaps a better learning choice as you have no option but to listen to the audio and that will be of advantage whatever they move on to in the future.

OP
OP
greengold

greengold

Aug 9, 2012
Whidbey Island
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV...saving my clad for a Tesoro SandShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the input! My son and I are heavily leaning toward the Compadre at this point. Who are the Tnet supported vendors of Tesoros?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can't comment on the Fisher as I've never owned one.

I've owned (and sold off) quite a few others, including some that are very highly touted on 'forums' but didn't live up to expectations when I had them in my hands.

My current battery is three water machines and a Tesoro Compadre.
I love that little Compadre.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I got my son the F2 and all I can say is that detector is very under rated...

dwayner

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Can't get more simple than compadre.

F2 isn't really complicated either. Can't go wrong with either.

I do like the numerical display on the f2.

Have to vote for f2. Maybe a eurotek pro????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread