Metal detecting on National Forest?

Poppa Relic

Jun 26, 2013
North Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know we cant metal detect in state parks in Mississippi. But I was wandering about detecting in National Forest. They allow deer hunting and etc. here in National forest. I am wanting to go dig civil war relics on national forest areas that don't have any historical signs or markers. Anybody know? I don't want to call the district ranger office and bring attention to myself if the laws are kinda "Grey area". I just want to know if its allowed or if their are any fines involved if someone sees me and calls out the ranger. I definitely want to avoid any trouble. Any help on this Idea would be appreciated. Thanks, Poppa Relic

Upvote 0

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could'nt find anything for your state . But , it is my understanding that here in Pennsylvania ( Allegheny National Forest ) we CAN NOT dig or collect ANYTHING over 50 years old . Basically forget about metal detecting . Good luck & HH .

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
I searched Google and found...

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would you do if they outlawed metal detecting all together ? Would you hang your MD on the wall and forget it ?

Go stealth.

Attachments

• 1249579513_bullet-on-a-wall.gif
    1249579513_bullet-on-a-wall.gif
    977.1 KB · Views: 845
OP
OP
Poppa Relic

Poppa Relic

Jun 26, 2013
North Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaa! That's what ive been doin and been lucky so far. I get scared every little noise I hear. Scared the metal detecting Nazis are after me! Paranoia!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
In addition to what VP navy gives you (that detecting NFS is not dis-allowed), here's another link you might find interesting:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5261774.pdf

As for the parts about ...... whether or not (gasp) you might find an old coin (older than 51 yrs. old?), all I can say is .... you're only finding and looking for modern coins, right? I mean, for pete's sake, in all my 35+ yrs. of this, I have NEVER had anyone follow me around with a calculator doing the math on each coin I find. All such "cultural heritage" verbage they put in things like that, are obligatory so no kooks think they can start pillaging around sensitive historic monuments, etc... I mean, once you use a little common sense on where .... in the forests ... you go, then realistically speaking ... as you can see, it's going to be a "no one cares" type of actuallity.

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted a similar question when I started a few months back. I hunt mostly state forests for relics too. Although there are laws regarding metal detecting in my state, DEM couldn't give me any specifics as to what they are when I spoke to them. I have a friend who is a member of a local detecting club and said as a general rule, no historic sites, national parks, and obviously historic cemeteries... DUH :tongue3: I also spoke with a local group who pretty much reiterated the same info. So like Tom said, how are you or anyone else gonna put a date on anything you may dig? It's impossible right? I try to keep a low profile wherever I hunt except for beaches as I try to go before and after people start flooding in for the day. Good luck!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
........ DEM couldn't give me any specifics as to what they are when I spoke to them ..........

Hah, well you went and ask a desk-bound bureaucrat "can I?", eh? You got lucky.

Sounds like in your case, they didn't say no or yes either way. Pheeww. But the BAD thing in cases like yours is, when someone there simply says "no", as the "easy answer". And then proceeds to morph something else to apply to your "pressing question". Like clauses about "harvesting and collecting" or "harming earthworms or vegetation" or "lost & found" or "cultural heritage", etc..... Or worse yet, it risks that such questions you/we pose get passed up the chain of command for in-put, and lo & behold, one day, the public entity that gets peppered with this question, MAKES a rule to "clarify" this, from then on.

Thus, no, don't ever ask desk-bound bureaucrats "can I metal detect?". Instead, look it up for your self. If you see nothing there that says "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not prohibited.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread