24yr Interested in buying first metal detector...

Purple_Reef

Greenie
Aug 11, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking to get my first metal detector but don't know where to start as far as what company to go with. My budget would be under 500$ or somewhere in that range...

I'm looking for a good reliable metal detector that will also let me use it on the shore occasionally. But for the most part, I'd be searching woods, parks and schools.

Please chime in if you can give me any advice. Thank you!

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

tnTesoro

Jun 24, 2013
Mt. Juliet, TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Vaquero! Check out the reviews and the vids on YouTube. Its an awesome machine with a lifetime warranty. I've heard some great things about the AT Pro as well but I've also heard a few gripes about it. Tesoro has a lifetime warranty.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I always like buying new. You know where it has been....

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking to get my first metal detector but don't know where to start as far as what company to go with. My budget would be under 500$ or somewhere in that range...

I'm looking for a good reliable metal detector that will also let me use it on the shore occasionally. But for the most part, I'd be searching woods, parks and schools.

Please chime in if you can give me any advice. Thank you!

I just upgraded from a Garrett Ace 350 to an AT Pro too, I too was looking for a machine in that same price range as well and it's hard to beat, and no you wouldn't be "settling" either.

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went ahead and purchased the Garrett AT Pro from Bart with BigBoyHobbies and I can't wait to get it. I've got so many place in mind that I want to start hunting. I'll update on any finds I get with the Garret AT Pro

BTW....Bart gave me a great price that I could not find anyone on the internet. I thought about buying a used one off ebay but they end up selling for in the mid 400$...I thought I'd spend a little extra and get a brand new one that I know works.

Good choice! My friend uses one and it's a coin magnet and great relic machine as well! It's easy for some to bash the AT when they're swinging a machine that costs twice as much!

I Dig Jesus

Feb 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster DB / Classic ID / M6 Matrix / & now The Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my opinion, you will not go wrong with the whites M6 Matrix, which you can pick up for that price range........however, I suggest you rent, or borrow a couple machines to help You make up Your mind, that way you get what you have because you decided. And that's all I have to say about that! Good luck little brother ! :thumbsup:

I Dig Jesus

Feb 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster DB / Classic ID / M6 Matrix / & now The Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oops, should of read the last post.....Disregard! Cheers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread