JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. 1...it means your detector is working and you are doing something right, No. 2...it means you have found a good area to hunt!

...Letting somebody hand one to you at the check-out counter? Where is the challenge in that?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better than a zinc.With the Golden umax i notch zinc pennies out and only find copper pennies.
You're probably losing Indian head cents doing that if your area is old enough for them.

Sledgod2

May 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're probably losing Indian head cents doing that if your area is old enough for them.

You beat me to it. Most of the Indian Heads I have found ring up as zincolns

OP
OP
N

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see now. Don't get me wrong I dug a bunch of older coins yesterday at the high school and I was pumped. I just was wondering why so many people always talk about them. Now I understand

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what's the big deal. I see everyone drooling over getting one. I get a lot of them from change in the stores. Heck I've gotten a jiffy jar since January full. Are they that rare in some places?

Many people will not ever see a "wheatie" in pocket change again... Many have been collecting them for a long time and they are out of circulation. It is a great find for most people beginning the hobby especially.. As you may know its all about the hunt!

With their tender face value being $.01 and their collector value being anywhere from 45% to 1,000,000% higher than the face value I kind of drool too. :hello2:

OP
OP
N

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I just got one in change last night. I guess their just common in my area.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best part about pulling a 'worthless' old penny out of the ground is the split-second image that rockets into your mind, after you read the date, that looks something like this....

... and, if only for an instant, the cavern of time that separates the past and the present narrows just a bit, affording you a totally unique opportunity to commune with times gone by via a straight and uninterrupted line between right now, kneeling on the ground next to a hole and whenever that coin was lost 60 or 70 years prior.

The money means absolutely nothing. It is an experience you cannot buy in a store nor pay for on any guided tour. Not everyone understands this but those who do don't need it explained.

Well said! Never really put my finger on it exactly like that.

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wheaties are just cool. And the early ones are over 100 years old already.

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
I found my first one with a $50 harbor freight detector we called it THE TURD. It was a 1919 i was so excited

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread