mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what's the big deal. I see everyone drooling over getting one. I get a lot of them from change in the stores. Heck I've gotten a jiffy jar since January full. Are they that rare in some places?

Well for one thing, finding them metal detecting can mean you are searching an area that was used long ago enough that there could be silver. Also people just like to hoard and collect them.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are special to people who don't find them often. Some people detect for many months and never find one in the ground. So you have a jar of them from pocket change, how often do you dig them while detecting? Even people who dig them all the time like seeing them because it means there is still possibly silver in the spot.

262jp

Dec 31, 2011
S. E. Okla
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up the value of some of them! My dug 1914d is worth at least $100.

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
I've been detecting for more than to years and have only found 3. Here they are hard to find

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well for one thing, finding them metal detecting can mean you are searching an area that was used long ago enough that there could be silver. Also people just like to hoard and collect them.

Exactly! They made them from 1909 - 1958, so they are kind of old, and they indicate the possibility of silver!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all about the Silver....if there are wheats...there will more than likely be silver....it is pretty much a guide telling you that you are hunting in a good spot.

if you are hunting areas and only find modern clad, or pennies...and they are a bit deeper than normal...than you might want to scout out a new area

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting for more than to years and have only found 3. Here they are hard to find

How much do you hunt? I know we all have our own schedules...but if you only found 3 of them, i think you need to find a better place (older) if that is what you are looking for.

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
Several hours a week. I've found more siler than wheaties. Here a lot of the old places are under concrete now

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
wheatie cents were last made in 1958 * the memorial back started in 1959---in 1958 all the dimes and quarters and half dollars were 90% silver --so if you find a wheat cent if the was other coins spilled with it that were say dimes or quarters --there is a good chance you could find silver * for the most part it shows that the area was being used during the silver change times. (always a good sign) of course cents are the most common coin lost

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several hours a week. I've found more siler than wheaties. Here a lot of the old places are under concrete now

that sucks..they are doing alot of road tearouts in my area, and im scrambing to hit them before they are lost forever.... Well as long as you are finding silvers...Screw the wheats!..lol

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a coin, its old , its cool...and if you dig it, extra cool.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been a coin collector for as long as I remember so wheaties get me excited. I have a Dansco album that I'm trying to fill with just my dug pennies.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It's ok to find more silver than wheat cents. How much silver have you found?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The best part about pulling a 'worthless' old penny out of the ground is the split-second image that rockets into your mind, after you read the date, that looks something like this....

ManhattanBeachCA1950s_1000.jpg

... and, if only for an instant, the cavern of time that separates the past and the present narrows just a bit, affording you a totally unique opportunity to commune with times gone by via a straight and uninterrupted line between right now, kneeling on the ground next to a hole and whenever that coin was lost 60 or 70 years prior.

The money means absolutely nothing. It is an experience you cannot buy in a store nor pay for on any guided tour. Not everyone understands this but those who do don't need it explained.

Last edited:

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Better than a zinc.With the Golden umax i notch zinc pennies out and only find copper pennies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread