Water hunting

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I am thinking that I need to start hunting in the water. I have lots of it around me, both saltwater and fresh.

So, all you water hunters, I know I need a submersible machine, and a scoop. What else?

Do you use chest waders? A wetsuit? Drysuit? Skivvies? Boots?

I am wondering what the water guys use in terms of gear.

Upvote 0

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the water temperature. Never waders or my skivies. Bathing suit, my one piece wet suit for mild water, heavier suit as it gets colder, sometimes just the bottoms of my farmers, always wet suit boots or sneakers. Real cold? Dry suit time. Not so much fun though. Makes a hobby more like a JOB.

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Dak,

I am in Washington State, so much of my hunting would be in Puget Sound, which is usually around 45 degrees.

I am thinking a dry suit may be the go to solution, or neoprene chest waders.

For Saltwater, is the prevailing wisdom a Pulse machine?

I was looking at the CTX 3030, but there seems to be a issue with the seals for some people.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In Michigan and in Florida I have good success with my White's Beach Hunter 300, my Sunspot Stealth scoop and chest waders in the colder water. In warmer waters my bathing suit and some neoprene black boots from Bass Pro shop. If I was only hunting in Saltwater I would consider a pulse machine.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in the southwest, the water temps range from upper 50's to low 70's year round so a standard wet suit works just fine. When it's real cold, I use a hood too. This time of year, just a bathing suit or shorts work. I always use some booties though, with all the sharp junk I seen through the years. Speaking of junk, I like to use a machine with discrimination so I like the Excalibur. I might lose and inch or so in depth but I make up for it in better finds. I've tried the PI machines but it drove me crazy because there is just too much iron on my beaches. In cleaner areas, it would work fine. Rig up a tether to attach your detector and scope to you or you WILL lose them in the surf. I also use a mesh, flow-through pouch for trash and treasure. I recommend carrying a knife also as you'll probably come across fishing gear of all sorts and some have line still attached. For night hunts, I carry a dive light also....again, tethered to my belt.

benjamingunn

Greenie
Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt the water "naturally"....it puts me in tune with my wild side and hey, I usually end up having the place to myself. Couldn't resist, I just wear my swim shorts.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good! When you said you hunted "naturally", I assumed you meant without the swim shorts (or anything else!). If I did that, I would definitely have the place to myself!........until the police came......:censored:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread