ANOTHER DETECTOR GOOD GRIEF CHARLIE BROWN

drygulch

Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II
Just wanted to ramble a little, and if anyone wanted to reply with another ramble that would be great.
Well let's start off with the first detector I ever had, must have been about 10 years old I got me a BFO Relco detector with my newspaper and pop bottle money. Any body remember turning in pop bottles for money instead of cans? Got rid of that thing got me a Fisher 1235 had it for about 2 years and it sprouted legs.
Next was a Garrett Grand Master, boy was that ever a disapointment. I will never have another Garrett in my life. I still got the detector but use it for a loaner. Next detector is a Fisher CZ7 I loved this detector except you always had to pull the batteries out when you were not using it or they would go dead. I still got this detector too. Then I went overboard and got me a Minelab Explorer II. This detector is Awesome open it up and it will go deep. Who cares how hunted out a site is I will still find stuff with this machine.

Now my next detector is going to be another Minelab. After looking at Whites, Tesoro, Fisher (Bounty Hunter) Technetics, and others I have decided to go with the Minelab Eureka Gold.
Won't order the Eureka till closer to spring cause I'll go nuts if I can't get out and try it.

Well ya all start ramblin let me know what ya think or don't think either way let's hear something from ya all.

DRYGULCH

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Yep- I remember collecting all those pop bottles at the beach for 2 cents each. Of course back then 25 cents could buy a movie ticket. I also owned a Relco too and do not have fond memories of that piece of crap.

Good luck with the Eureka Gold- I heard it will be a good nugget machine.

George

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Drygulch, good story. My brother and I went in halves on a Garrett Freedom III in the mid 80's. Had fun with that machine, but never found the old coins I was looking for. I let him have my half and bought a Gold Mountain Cobra. I started finding Indian head pennies with that one, but nothing too deep. I then went all out and bought a Garrett Master Hunter CXII, never liked that thing at all. I eventually loaned it out and never bothered to get it back. Next up was a Tesoro Bandido, great detector, fantastic at weeding the good stuff out of junk, decent depth. I still have the Bandido. I then went to a Fisher 1266X, wow is that thing deep! It is tough to use in trashy areas , but in clean ground it is hard to beat. A Shadow X2 is next in line. Great little detector, light, easy to use, good in trash. I still like this one, not the greatest depth but a real sweet machine. My 10 year old son uses it now, or a loaner for someone who isn't familiar with detectors. It is so easy. My present detector is a Tesoro Tejon, fantastic depth, great in trashy areas, this thing finds coins in places that I have given up on. It seems to have an uncanny ability to find coins on edge. I have never had a detector this long without thinking about what might be better, I love it.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I started out with a Radio Shack 2 incher, then splurged for a Fisher 1220X and man could that thing see into the ground, won a Fisher 1260X at an organized hunt in Colorado Springs, nice machine. Quit detecting for about 8 years and when I got back into the hobby went with an Xterra 70. Then I bought an Explorer II, and then because I didn't want to ruin the EXII at the beach bought an Excalibur 1000. I think I am finished buying detectors for a month or two.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first detector was some Radio Shack kit that used an exposed circuit board with an etched circuit loop for a coil and had dual ear "tubes" that connected to a transistor radio style ear piece. The shaft was a retractable radio antenna. :D I actually did find coins and "relics" (aka - dropped metal trash) with it. That was probably '71 or '72? Just a few years ago I decided to try detecting again and found a used Musketeer Advantage "pro pack" with the dual coils and NiMH rechargables. Having a ball. I'll probably go with another Minelab myself, but I don't know that it will be anytime soon. I'm waiting for the X-95 with Windows.

Hill City Rebel

Aug 21, 2006
Vicksburg MS
Detector(s) used
Shadow X5/Fisher 1266/Nautilus DMC-IIB/Tesoro Bandido/NOT ONE SE
Guess I'm older than you guys. I started out with a Heathkit built in my shop back in the late sixties. It was an amazingly good machine. I probably dug a hundred artillery shells with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread