Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from the Archaeology department in Trier Germany where I had a 1 hr 40 minute interview/information class. It went much better than expected and I will receive a detecting permit. The Dr. who interviewed me is very open to MDing however, with strict stipulations that I can live with. I have been given an area of about 40 square miles or more. At the end of the interview, he asked me where do I want to detect and I was not ready for that so I asked him where good sites would be, his reply was it is my job to find them as he already knows where the good sites are. He did help me a bit and I have a few areas that I have researched so I am happy with it. Anything I find belongs to me after they record it with a few exceptions, value does not matter, it has been 13 years since they invoked the law where they can take the find and that find was a cache of 3000 gold Roman coins and they gave a large finders fee, I do not know the value. They can ask to buy the finds from me but, I do not have to sell and must give them first chance to buy should I decide to sell. Have to report my finds every 3 months. I plan on cooperating with the Archaeology department and working with them and setting a good example of Metal Detectors helping Archaeologists. Part of this German state has already been shutdown due to bad detecting, I talked to that department and was releived to know the area I will be working in does not fall under their jurisdiction, barely the other side of the tracks, they gave me the telephone number to the Archie who interviewed me today. Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to share some great news, finds should start around mid April, now I have to find an apartment, LOL! HH, Mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments, I am doing the happy dance! I do have exclusive rights to certain areas and like I said, with strict stipulations. Areas I can hunt are Farm fields, dirt dumps, land scheduled for development, construction sites if they let me in, the military post where I work, private yards, water, beaches/swim areas and playgrounds. I can invite friends but of course, I will have let the Archies examine the finds before they can keep them. I just did the math and I was way off on the area size, it is approximately 200 Sq. Kilometers or 125 Sq. Miles. There are other detectors in the area with permits but the Archies try to give everyone their own area. Viper, I will send you and Bammer a PM. HH, Mike

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds great Mike - I know you'll make lots of good finds and do your part in up-holding the code of ethics for all MD'ers in the eyes of the Archies/Gov.

Wish I was there and lending a hand - that's for sure but I'll settle for living it thru your post! lol

Can't WAIT to see some of the finds you make!

HH and good luck~

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread