Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from the Archaeology department in Trier Germany where I had a 1 hr 40 minute interview/information class. It went much better than expected and I will receive a detecting permit. The Dr. who interviewed me is very open to MDing however, with strict stipulations that I can live with. I have been given an area of about 40 square miles or more. At the end of the interview, he asked me where do I want to detect and I was not ready for that so I asked him where good sites would be, his reply was it is my job to find them as he already knows where the good sites are. He did help me a bit and I have a few areas that I have researched so I am happy with it. Anything I find belongs to me after they record it with a few exceptions, value does not matter, it has been 13 years since they invoked the law where they can take the find and that find was a cache of 3000 gold Roman coins and they gave a large finders fee, I do not know the value. They can ask to buy the finds from me but, I do not have to sell and must give them first chance to buy should I decide to sell. Have to report my finds every 3 months. I plan on cooperating with the Archaeology department and working with them and setting a good example of Metal Detectors helping Archaeologists. Part of this German state has already been shutdown due to bad detecting, I talked to that department and was releived to know the area I will be working in does not fall under their jurisdiction, barely the other side of the tracks, they gave me the telephone number to the Archie who interviewed me today. Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to share some great news, finds should start around mid April, now I have to find an apartment, LOL! HH, Mike

Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Bavaria Mike....Sounds like you impressed the guy that interviewed you. We will be looking forward to seeing some of your finds and good luck my friend

S

sounder

Sounds like a great chance for some prime detecting!!

I will be looking forward to seeing and hearing about your finds.

sounder

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
y dont they do that in the US gets me :-\ bravo

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
Yep you dug your first great find,now go get some more congrats.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How exciting! I know you are already doing that happy dance, and you ain't even got to hunt it yet!!! :o I am so happy for you. Will be looking for your posts from this area!

Congrats!!!! Nana ;)

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I visited Trier about 12 years ago; it is a really cool town and is supposed to be the second oldest Roman city in Europe. You should find some wonderful things (and they even had a Pizza Hut!).

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, a reunion. I was in Trier Germany, (some say France, being so close to the boarder), in the early 1980's. I drove a semi for the Army as a kid. Got lost and found that beautiful city. I have a German last name, and the people always treated me good, and I had some relation in southern Germany near Augsburg.

Wish I was there.

HH Ken

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
How does that permit work? You don't have 'exclusive' rights to a 40 square miles, do you?

Even if not exclusive, having a single permit to TH in a large area like that is GREAT!

Congratulations and good luck!

Joe

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
Hey mike you gotta tell me how to go do that. I think bammer and I would love to get a permit. Do they do that all over? Are areas differen't about letting you keep finds? I would love to hunt some french battle sites and report what I found. I was planning on doing that for a living. I am glad you got a permit. Maybe you can find another stash of coins :)

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Mike,

Congrats on getting your permit. This is a great example of how metal detectorists and archeaologists can work together to increase our knowledge of history. I wish that would happen here in the States. I'm sure there will be great finds. Look forward to see pics when you get them.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
40 Square Mile's Mike?I bet you're doing back flip's right now....Kinda remind's me of Kung-Fu,the "grasshopper deal"....Excellent new's for ya....Looking forward in April...Just get it in writing ;)

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kool grats, Now is that 40 squire mile area yours alone or there other permits issued for the same area?

If its yours alone u want some help, dang i would seriously think bout coming and joining ya.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awsome news Mike,i wish you the best of luck.If you need someone help to carry the treasure away i do it for a small charge 50% ;D ;D ;D

tinpan

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Fantasic! Sounds like you've got your next few years planned out. You better get a 2 bedroom apt, Because i'm moving to Germany. Lol.

Best of luck my friend. and show us them finds.

xstevenx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread