Best tool for cutting through tree roots?

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Picture 103.jpg Depends...in a yard or park i let them alone...in the woods i keep a very sharp edge on my 28" land shark and stab through them.
Gary

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey cusepdjd!! Best thing I found was from my MD buddy! He uses a pair of pruning garden shears!! Light, compact and they cut through moderately heavy roots in tight spaces!! Easy to handle and you can store them in your belt pouch!! Give them a try, you will be surprised!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like GPAMetal indicated, "it depends" where the roots are. Yards, parks leave them alone. Open land where you have permission if it private property then ok and wooded thickets go for it. Pruning shears, very small loppers, collapsing Fiskars pruning saw (6" long collapsed into handle ~$14 they cut on the pull stroke not on the push stroke) and be careful of you fingers with any of these!....................63bkpkr

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try not to get too complicated with all the gear out there. the best ive found is a 4 or 6 inch sheetrock saw at your local hardware store, works really well for the layered small roots you talked about.

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the SHARK SHOVEL, it is heavy, but it works.

Oct 25, 2014
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checking-in to share a new root Slammin' video:

The Slammer is a full size multi-tool ~ simple made strong & built to last a lifetime ~ a no back strain hand tool with a powerful mechanical advantage.

For field technicians who currently use shovels, axes, digging bars, chain saws, picks/mattocks… and/or often encounter tree roots, rocky subgrade or hardscape – using a Slammer Tool will get the job done much faster and with far less body strain.

See the Slammer Tool in action @ CEREBRAL ENTERPRISES LLC - Slide Action Video & The Slammer Tool |

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a pair of garden pruners from the hardware store - I've used them to cut roots over an 1" thick, and they're also handy for clearing away thorn bushes when I'm hunting in the woods. They're small enough to wear on my belt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread