Moon phases and detecting ?

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So it seems to me that moon phases change my results when metal detecting. I don't know which phase effects the detector the most but it seems when there is a near full moon I start getting good hits. I detect my yard on a weekly if not daily basis and I'm finding stuff in certain nights that I've gone over a hundred times. These signals are faint sometimes but are very clear other times. I think it's the fisherman in me but there is a magnetic aspect to the moon and a detector or the items in the ground could be altered. Any comments or tips would be great !

Upvote 0

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get around the phases by wearing a tinfoil hat!

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol you know it does make sense. The tides are controlled by the gravity pull so why not the conductivity of metal. I've hit one place one day and get nothing a few days later or more I go back over and get hits. So maybe you onto something.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually tape some dowsing rods to my shaft. :)

Centar

Aug 4, 2013
Newfoundland Canada
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it seems to me that moon phases change my results when metal detecting. I don't know which phase effects the detector the most but it seems when there is a near full moon I start getting good hits. I detect my yard on a weekly if not daily basis and I'm finding stuff in certain nights that I've gone over a hundred times. These signals are faint sometimes but are very clear other times. I think it's the fisherman in me but there is a magnetic aspect to the moon and a detector or the items in the ground could be altered. Any comments or tips would be great !

I have my doubts about moon phase changing the sensitivity of a MD considering the principal in which they operate.
What is know is that the moon phases affect humans and animals to some degree, so I suggest that it is you not the metal detector that is being affected by the moon...

Dogtirednj

Apr 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, at the risk of sounding "new agey" I will say that having grown up on a farm my Grandad used to talk about "Lunar farming". We all know that wet soil conditions can have an effect on detecting. Well, the phases of the moon affect the amount of moisture in the soil. During both the full and new moons there is higher moisture content in the soil. There is less water in the soil during the last quarter of the moon's phase because the water table is at it lowest during that phase. So..maybe?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
People believe in all sorts of completely absurd nonsense.
It's a consequence of our schools teaching people how to take tests, rather than how to think critically.

There's a reason various 'institutions of BS' have such a disdain and resentment towards science.
Scientific rigor is what put a man on the moon, invented the car you drive, keeps the very computer in front of you running and communicating with the computer in front of me. Learning how to think scientifically is something you either learn or you don't but if you're in the minority who does, the world looks like an entirely different place to you than it does to people who believe in nonsense.

So, the first question is, what principles of operation utilized by a metal detector are potentially influenced by the forces created by moon phases?

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
My mind is open to the possibility of moon phases and also solar flairs. I don't po-po anything when it comes to radio frequencies and galactic events. I've experienced too many "good hunts" on spots I failed the day before, and dry holes a few days after. I think that I will monitor the moon for a while.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never noticed but I will now. I went to a place I thought I had hunted out one morning and came back with $6 in clad. The time before I had only found some pennies I passed by because the time before that i was busy digging clad and I had dug $33 in clad in two different hunts.

That particular place I have found over $60 in clad and only one time did I only get a few pennies. I will be sure and go out at full moon after I have hunted a place just to see. Just detecting alone is a crap shoot so why not add another trick to the bag if it seems to work.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after I got up I did some google searching " does the moon phase have effects on metal detectors" and this is a common theory. A year or so ago a major metal detecting mag did a study on it. Didnt get to read the article had to leave. But I'm a science and common sense type of guy so I use my brain. And it makes sense, since the moon causes tides, it might cause soil to loosen or pack based on the lunar phase. Like the other supporters said, I've went to one day to a place found nothing then go back a few days later same area and get a ton of stuff. So ill do some more research and post as I find.

Last edited:

Centar

Aug 4, 2013
Newfoundland Canada
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, at the risk of sounding "new agey" I will say that having grown up on a farm my Grandad used to talk about "Lunar farming". We all know that wet soil conditions can have an effect on detecting. Well, the phases of the moon affect the amount of moisture in the soil. During both the full and new moons there is higher moisture content in the soil. There is less water in the soil during the last quarter of the moon's phase because the water table is at it lowest during that phase. So..maybe?

This could have some merit to it, an experiment is needed, bury something at the edge of your detectors limits in the back yard and check it through out the month and see if there are any changes.....I'd say rain cycles have more effect....

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You hit it on the head. It rained the night before the full moon.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well did more research and it all said about the moisture content in the soil. It even went into the halo effects of the metal. But it's not the metal itself it has to do with the moisture content. That's why after it rains you get more penetration.

Dreadnox

Jul 28, 2013
Austin Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Metadyne magnet stick, Garretts pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say the question isn't IF moon phases effect MDing, but to what degree do they effe???ct it. JMO.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People believe in all sorts of completely absurd nonsense.
It's a consequence of our schools teaching people how to take tests, rather than how to think critically.

There's a reason various 'institutions of BS' have such a disdain and resentment towards science.
Scientific rigor is what put a man on the moon, invented the car you drive, keeps the very computer in front of you running and communicating with the computer in front of me. Learning how to think scientifically is something you either learn or you don't but if you're in the minority who does, the world looks like an entirely different place to you than it does to people who believe in nonsense.

So, the first question is, what principles of operation utilized by a metal detector are potentially influenced by the forces created by moon phases?

Agreed.

But let's be realistic- you need to know nothing about science; anyone who didn't drop out before 5th grade has enough COMMON SENSE to know the moon has nothing to do at all with how well an md works......or how many targets you get under the coil?!?!

The only reasonable explanation that lunar phases would have on the effects of detecting would be at the beach- tides MIGHT have an effect on what you could find- maybe.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread