vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
Until someone pipes in - you might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Pennsylvania for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to Pennsylvania.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Duquesne's campus. That would have to be one awesome place to look. Since we both know that's not going to happen, how far out do you live from Pittsburgh? You can try parks ( if its allowed) or old homesteads / farms ( with permission)

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm about 20 mins north of PGH and tend to stay out of Allegheny county parks. City park might be ok, but the rules for county parks are ridiculous although Boyce might be accessible with a permit. Same with North Park

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey pitts hunter Im from mercer, pa. Ive been trying to locate different places myself again Im a recreation hobbiest. But I will tell you the place I have been, in sharon,pa The Buhl Park im sure its been searched over alot but thats a place Ive found quarters, knickels, dimes, pennies, but nothing older than the 50's what else have searched by the shenango dam, there's a true story about a gentleman that has found gold in a stream in greenville, pa. Anyway please contact me back keep in touch, 49er12

OP
OP
PittsburghHunter

PittsburghHunter

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Di Professional, Fisher F2, Minelab X-terra 50
hey pitts hunter Im from mercer, pa. Ive been trying to locate different places myself again Im a recreation hobbiest. But I will tell you the place I have been, in sharon,pa The Buhl Park im sure its been searched over alot but thats a place Ive found quarters, knickels, dimes, pennies, but nothing older than the 50's what else have searched by the shenango dam, there's a true story about a gentleman that has found gold in a stream in greenville, pa. Anyway please contact me back keep in touch, 49er12

I'm going up to my camp (Pymatuning) this weekend to MD, I'll let you know how it goes, I have a few paces I would like to try in the NorthIlls area.

Handyman

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might consider attending a meeting of the Pittsburgh Past Finders. We meet in the Northland Public Library the first Monday of every month from 7 to 9 pm. They're a bunch of old fogies, but they're neat old fogies. They have two or three seeded hunts per year. In addition, the club has permission to hunt in all Allegheny County parks. Silver is rare, but you can always come up with a handful of change from 1970 to date.

My most consistent success is knocking on doors in old neighborhoods. Permission to hunt is given a little over 50% of the time and I average at least one silver coin per house. Good luck.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Put it this way if anyone knows of a good spot they will not tell any body about it….

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks to be a fair number of frontier forts and Indian camps/towns to the SE and SW of Pittsburgh. I suppose Fort Pitt is off limits? LOL
PA010-6.jpg

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's more forts than you can imagine in SW PA. I live about a mile off of what was once the Forbes Trail, and I know of 4 fort sites within 20 miles of me. All are on privately owned land. Look for old maps of the area and find out where things once were.

okrick11

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2010
Anybody want to get together between May 18-23. I'll be in Pgh for my nieces graduation. I live in Oklahoma City but was born and raised in the Mckees Rocks/ Crafton-Ingram area. I've been away from there for a long time and have no idea where to hunt. If anybody can host me for a hunt or give me an idea I would greatly appreciate it. My name is Rick

Tim-MXT

Mar 9, 2014
Beaverton/Hillsboro Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's V3I, White's TRX Pinpointer, Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could get permission to hunt High Point that would probably be amazing. Thousands of drunken motocross fans? Oh yeah.

Xzekiel

Jul 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for about 4 years in New Mexico and the Pittsburgh area. I hunt the parks and playgrounds. $100's in change, a 1919D Penny and random .425.

Xzekiel

Jul 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your around again. I also live in the Crafton area.

rubicon2013

Jun 20, 2013
I am also in the Pittsburgh area I would like to find some one to hunt with. I have hunted north park and came across another gentleman that was hunting once. Nothing special. Some clad and a whole ton of pull tabs.

eagle1

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2009
Hi, was looking for someone to detect with around the Pittsburgh/Irwin area. i mostly hunt city parks, Have found a few older silvers,rings, oldest coin so far, 1780 Spanish 2 Reales. Thanks! Pat

LesterJB

Jan 13, 2011
Rockland, PA.
Detector(s) used
trident
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

would love to go for gold in G-ville - I grew up there! let me know if ya wanna go 49er12 !

LesterJB

Jan 13, 2011
Rockland, PA.
Detector(s) used
trident
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going up to my camp (Pymatuning) this weekend to MD, I'll let you know how it goes, I have a few paces I would like to try in the NorthIlls area.

I grew up between Greenville and Jim-town (Pymie)...let me know if ya wanna go PittsburghHunter !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread