Most coins found in a single hunt?

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
Just curious as to your highest number of coins found in a single hunt. Maybe include how many hours that hunt was.
Now I'm not talking about a weekend hunt. I'm saying from the time you turned the detector on to the time you turned it off.
My hunts are short....2 to 2 1/2 hours at a time, so mine is probably low compared to most I would imagine.

36 - 2 1/2 hrs

HH
Lance

Upvote 0

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a dry spell or two that lasted over a half dozen hunts with no coins whatsoever. Then the next hunt turned up about 25! I once found 4 rings in one day, but have only found one more in the last three years.

I tell everyone that MD is like the lottery. Sometimes you find enough to buy a couple of batteries, but once in a while, some dude makes out like a bandit. Unfortunately, that's never been me!

TheOldMan

Nov 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
TheOldMan hit a fairly new park last year that is located in what some would consider a rougher part of town . . . apparently I was the first one to detect the place as I recovered 258 coins using TheATPro in about three hours of detecting about half of the park - I was wore out and with the sun beating down on me I staggered back to the car. But back in 1975 while I was stationed in Camp Lejeune North Carolina I had an White's non discrimination one tuner detector that beeped on everything - I found an old obstacle course and when I got to the area where the pull over bars were at the front I started getting so many signals it was easier to crawl around and make the recoveries - there were that many targets . . . coins, rings, keys - I can't remember the coin total, probably 300+ and at least $20.00 face value. I have heard of folks in the past detecting under water at old diving platforms at swimming beaches and finding hundred of old coins and many jewelry items all in one day.

Last edited:

TruePatriot

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2011
Minnesota
Found 37 pennies in a 2' x 2' area during a hunt around a school yard. After the first couple I just sat on the ground and kept scanning with my pin pointer. After an hour or two i came home with 65 coins.

Jeff B

Jan 9, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5 ID
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
51- 3 hour hunt. 1 wheaty 1 silver quarter and 1 silver ring. Only 14 trash targets dug.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the ski area in my town, I didn't count the actual number of coins that I found, I just kept putting them in my pockets. I finally had to quit because my pockets were getting full, and my pants were falling down from the weight. Trust me, it was a whole bunch of coins.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Just curious as to your highest number of coins found in a single hunt. Maybe include how many hours that hunt was.
Now I'm not talking about a weekend hunt. I'm saying from the time you turned the detector on to the time you turned it off.
My hunts are short....2 to 2 1/2 hours at a time, so mine is probably low compared to most I would imagine.

36 - 2 1/2 hrs

HH
Lance

My record is 466 coins in a day. Perhaps 5 hrs. hunting. Of the 466, over 100 were wheat pennies, and 46 were silver coins, and 1 was a gold coin (1914 $2.50).

This was during some epic beach erosion that occured along the CA coast during the 1997-98 El Nino storms. Unfortunately, the beach were these heavy pockets were occuring this day, was a "dumpy locals" beach. Ie.: not very touristy. So the ring ratio was very poor (only a single gold ring despite the massive coin count). And the beach had been used as a firing range apparently, by the nearby military base. Because the lead bullet tips were EVERYWHERE. A major nuisance. So much lead to deal with.

I've heard of other guys who chanced on to good erosion zones after storms, who topped out at 700 coins in a day. And a fellow who recalls that during the 1982-83 El nino, on a So. CA beach, had an entire week where no day was less than 100 silver coins. He got so wore out from digging, that by the end of the week, he had to admit himself to the emergency room from some sort of carpal tunnel and blister thing or something. But alas, those days are rare :)

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Don't know how many coins but my record in $ in one 4-5 hour hunt was over $50.
It was a pure clad hunt at a fair grounds after a 4 day rib fest. That's the best thing about clad hunting in Canada. Lots of $1 & $2 coins.

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
160 in about 1 1/2 hours, mainly pennies at a boys club playground, I don't think anyone ever detected it before, I did the same just crawled around on my knees with my pin pointer, I was so tired but happy

mr_rich

Aug 21, 2013
Ormond Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It had to be about 7 or 8 years ago not exactly sure but it was a few months after hurricane I went down to Sebastian Fl to search for the good stuff that the pros missed. I remember the cuts still in the dunes in some places exposing hundreds of pull tabs. Anyway, I found no Spanish $. But as I worked the areas where people traffic had been up on the beach I started finding a lot of clad quarters, dimes and nickles kept putting them in my bag. Then I started to get a little bored searching for those elusive reales so I started going over where people parked and got out of their cars I think I had $22.00 in change in my bag when I finally was too tired to do anymore. I don't think you could rich doing it but it was fun. I also remember around that time there was a spot north of the Flagler pier in Flagler Beach where I lived, I would always hit 5 or 10 clad nickles that was all, every time in this one area nickles nothing else. somebody must have broke open some rolls or something.

OP
OP
Ima Swinger

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
I got mr_rich's first post! Outstanding!
Welcome aboard sir. Sounds like you had a ton of coins on that hunt.

HH
Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread