dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally depends on what detector your using. Beep and dig you'll need to take a pickup truck to haul away the trash. Some machines will run allmetal with some form of id. You'll be dealing with over 200 years of stuff in the ground.

OP
OP
Woodswoman

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw I I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Totally depends on what detector your using. Beep and dig you'll need to take a pickup truck to haul away the trash. Some machines will run allmetal with some form of id. You'll be dealing with over 200 years of stuff in the ground.

Hmm.. I have a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw. When I was there last I used disc mode but found my 6 petal sleigh bell that way. Thanks

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought all ground was the same age

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When digging an old property, say mid 1800's is it best to do it in all metal mode ? And if so, why ? I think that's where I made my mistake the last time. I used disc mode... Need some suggestions please.

It's whatever you want to man. Honestly one thing works for one guy but might not for you. My detector won't pick up nails only large iron so I beep and dig since its Mostly coins or aluminum anyways. It's good to get advice but go with your gut.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would run it in all metal, and then only dig the mid and high tones. Low is always iron, at least in my experience.

OP
OP
Woodswoman

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's whatever you want to man. Honestly one thing works for one guy but might not for you. My detector won't pick up nails only large iron so I beep and dig since its Mostly coins or aluminum anyways. It's good to get advice but go with your gut.

Thank you, I like the " go with your gut " theory. But GOOD and USEFUL advice is welcomed, especially from experienced diggers. People who have knowledge that they are willing to share to help out a anxious beginner. I'll go back there and try different settings and see what happens :)

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I generally go with accepting foil and everything to the right of foil. I am also tired of digging the one-way signals: the ones that beep when scanning one direction and no signal in the other direction, have never found anything but junk by digging one-ways...

But the "two-toners" are a different story, they are the ones that scan high tone in one direction and mid or low tone in the other, I have found some of my coolest stuff digging the two-toners...good luck!

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I generally go with accepting foil and everything to the right of foil. I am also tired of digging the one-way signals: the ones that beep when scanning one direction and no signal in the other direction, have never found anything but junk by digging one-ways...

But the "two-toners" are a different story, they are the ones that scan high tone in one direction and mid or low tone in the other, I have found some of my coolest stuff digging the two-toners...good luck!
Ones with 2 tones can be caused by 2 items laying really close to each other. I've found that it can also give you a mixed signal, or one that shows higher than one item, but lower than the other item in the hole.

OP
OP
Woodswoman

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good advice. I also get the one way signals but don't dig because they are difficult to pinpoint unless I want to dig a huge hole ( which I don't ) I need to explore more settings. Thanks !

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends if there is a lot of metal debris in the ground and how long you have to hunt it.
If the ground is fairly clean and you have lots of time, dig everything above iron unless you like digging rusty iron objects (I don't).
If time is limited, set to just under nickel and dig all repeating targets (the ones that don't try to disc out as you repeat your swing over them) If you have TID, dig targets that don't radically change their ID as you sweep.
If its littered with targets and you have lots of time to keep going back, set your disc at zinc penny range and work the area. Then turn your disc down lower each time you return to rework the same location.
If not a lot of time, then set just above pull tab and dig the good signals only.

Basically you will want to make the best of the time you have. Most one way "and/or" iffy targets are trash. So if your time is limited, dig the signals that are fairly good.
Time and experience will tell you when to dig iffy targets. If you aren't sure where to set your disc, grab a target you wish to disc out (like a pull tab or zinc penny) and set your disc using that.
Hope that's helpful.

OP
OP
Woodswoman

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends if there is a lot of metal debris in the ground and how long you have to hunt it.
If the ground is fairly clean and you have lots of time, dig everything above iron unless you like digging rusty iron objects (I don't).
If time is limited, set to just under nickel and dig all repeating targets (the ones that don't try to disc out as you repeat your swing over them) If you have TID, dig targets that don't radically change their ID as you sweep.
If its littered with targets and you have lots of time to keep going back, set your disc at zinc penny range and work the area. Then turn your disc down lower each time you return to rework the same location.
If not a lot of time, then set just above pull tab and dig the good signals only.

Basically you will want to make the best of the time you have. Most one way "and/or" iffy targets are trash. So if your time is limited, dig the signals that are fairly good.
Time and experience will tell you when to dig iffy targets. If you aren't sure where to set your disc, grab a target you wish to disc out (like a pull tab or zinc penny) and set your disc using that.
Hope that's helpful.

Very helpful indeed. I'm lucky and can go back anytime I want and spend as much time as I want. I need to respect some deer hunters when the season comes in but other than that, I'm free ! :) I did get very few old iron, rusty items that got my hopes up until I had them out of the ground but not enough to discourage me at all. I think I will return there a few more times.
Thanks again !

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have repeat access to the property, dig everything in all-metal mode. CLEAN the area good so you don't miss nuttin'. TTC

OP
OP
Woodswoman

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have repeat access to the property, dig everything in all-metal mode. CLEAN the area good so you don't miss nuttin'. TTC

Thank you ! I believe that'll be my plan :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to pick a likely 10X10 area and dig everything. Based on what I find, I'll then either continue digging everything or put in a discrimination mode to deal with the most common junk that was found in the first section. If it 's real junky, having a high end machine that can pick the good from the bad really helps.

OP
OP
Woodswoman

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to pick a likely 10X10 area and dig everything. Based on what I find, I'll then either continue digging everything or put in a discrimination mode to deal with the most common junk that was found in the first section. If it 's real junky, having a high end machine that can pick the good from the bad really helps.

I like that idea also, I'm sure that helps from missing spots also. Thank you !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread