metal detecting in mexico

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the wife unit and I are headed to los barrilles mexico at the end of the month. Its about an hour north of los cabos on the sea of cortez.

Question is, has anyone had any problems with the local policia while out detecting. Where we are is a pretty much private area with a empty beach. I just don't want to get down there and end up having my at pro taken away because I violated some "law".

Other than the regular "don't trust cops in mexico", does anyone have any experience down there or should I just leabe it at home?

Upvote 0

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The local policia would be the last of my worries. Our family used go to Mexico every year for many, many years. Cabo, Loreto, Ensenada, Veracruz, Mazatlan...all over. Not any more...too dang dangerous. Not only do I not trust the cops there, I don't trust anyone there any more. Even if I were to return to Mexico, I would NOT try to bring a metal detector.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't go there anymore either. Crooked cops, too much drug activity, and related crime make it just too dangerous. If you insist on going with your detector, I strongly suggest you know a local that has some pull down there. As Don mentioned, I hope you have lots of cash for bribes. I wouldn't carry much on my person but I'd want to have it available for emergencies.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

So the wife unit and I are headed to los barrilles mexico at the end of the month. Its about an hour north of los cabos on the sea of cortez.

Question is, has anyone had any problems with the local policia while out detecting. Where we are is a pretty much private area with a empty beach. I just don't want to get down there and end up having my at pro taken away because I violated some "law".

Other than the regular "don't trust cops in mexico", does anyone have any experience down there or should I just leabe it at home?

I don't know about "don't trust the cops" and "don't buy rolexes from guys on the corner in trench coats" and "don't drink the water" type of stuff. But as it concerns *actual law*, well..... detectors are a common site on Mexican tourist beaches. And there are detector dealers down in Mexico. So ... no .... it's not illegal to detect beaches there. But as to whether it's "wise" or not, I dunno.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Tom said, there is no law against it but that doesn't mean that the local cop won't want you to pay for his approval. Some locals can be very territorial too.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mexico was always dangerous, maybe that's the allure of the place. I would go and metal detect , but have a couple of locals with you if possible.

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cancun and the Peninsula is one of the few few places where I feel safe in Mexico. The only cops that carry guns are the ones downtown around the banks. None of the other police carry side arms. I'm going back for Christmas and will definitely take my Mark-II. Playa Del Carmen and Isla Mujeres is another area I recommend but my overall favorite for comfort, food and safety is Cancun.

If anyone disagrees feel free to post your opinion I'm always open to other stories so i don't get myself into a situation. I have been to islands where after they rob you they might eat you as well LOL.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traveled the gulf coast of mexico years ago, and it was a very remote and forbidding place to an outsider. I went all the way from brownsville texas to vera cruz, then on to merida in the yucatan. The forests were thick and dark, indians living in thatch huts with hammocks. The beaches had no tourists and i imagine most of that part of mexico is unchanged even today. I was there in the mid 1970's.

I think the beaches must be loaded with stuff if you have the guts to go there. From veracruz north to texas is really wild.

I met an interesting gentleman near vera cruz. He had blonde hair and blue eyes and spoke fluent german. I saw him sipping on a bottle of tequila at a bus station. He told me he was a farmer and all of his people were german. They had escaped germany during the war and ended up in mexico.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rented a motor scooter on cozumel island in about 1996. I toured around the islands western side, then took this road to the eastern side which is the windward part of the island and only indians living there. Cozumel has a lot of potential for the treasure hunter.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traveled the gulf coast of mexico years ago, and it was a very remote and forbidding place to an outsider. I went all the way from brownsville texas to vera cruz, then on to merida in the yucatan. The forests were thick and dark, indians living in thatch huts with hammocks. The beaches had no tourists and i imagine most of that part of mexico is unchanged even today. I was there in the mid 1970's.

I agree....back then. I loved going to Mexico up until the late '80's but it got progressively worse after that and I don't go at all now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread