How many people find pre-1900 Dog tax tags?

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are a few That I found. The two at the top are from 1926 but are consecutive numbers. They were both found in the same yard.

Attachments

• Dog tax tags.jpg
    Dog tax tags.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 406

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
free and Jeff, any idea when they came into being here in PA? What bought on the dog tax in the first place? Were they issued in just towns and cities or the country side as well?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHEN ? That would be something I'd have to researech............... Why ? why do they Tax anything ? just another way to make money from the working people I'd imagine

tagman

Greenie
Feb 21, 2005
Darod said:
Here's a question for you guys.

Where abouts do you find these tags?? Are they found in particular areas of the country?? States?? Or were they all over the country in those days?? In other words, could I expect to find any of these in Florida if I'm lucky?

Rod
My lucky day, a discussion group that talks about nothing but my favorite subject. Rod you are going to be like the Maytag repair man in FL, only 5 towns are currently known that issued prior to 1900: Fernandina, Orlando, Pensacola, Tampa and Lakeland. But I would suspect that Miami, St. Pete Tallahassee and who knows where else might check in eventually.

tagman

Greenie
Feb 21, 2005
eathabs said:
free and Jeff, any idea when they came into being here in PA? What bought on the dog tax in the first place? Were they issued in just towns and cities or the country side as well?
The Meadville 1875 is the earliest known tag from PA, 19 other towns are known to have issued prior to 1900. The state instituted licensing by counties starting in 1907 and continue to do so today.

tagman

Greenie
Feb 21, 2005
free2Dtect said:
I believed they started in the 1860's.
You are absolutely right, the oldest known tag from the U.S. is the 1861 MASS., Cincinnati checked in in 1866. The issuing of license certificates predated tags and are known from the 1840's.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No 'pre 1900s' for me yet - found a few 40/50s here and there. sold em long ago..

tagman

Greenie
Feb 21, 2005
Re: My oldest pre-1900 Dog tax tag

Gold_pinger said:
Kingdom Of Hawaii 1883.
Hawaii pre-1900 tags are not common. ?They all have the same format, year of issue/crown/serial number and the oldest reported to date is the 1870. ?A 1893 is known with PG stamped in for Provisional Government and in 1895 RH for Republic of Hawaii appeared.

tagman

Greenie
Feb 21, 2005
jeff of pa said:
WHEN ? That would be something I'd have to researech............... Why ? why do they Tax anything ? just another way to make money from the working people I'd imagine
Jeff, the earliest dog license laws in the U.S. were instituted to establish a fund to indemnify stock owners for the loss of animals due to their destruction by marauding dogs, primaily sheep. It has mutated to become a source of revenue for the humane treatment of unwanted animals.

tagman

Greenie
Feb 21, 2005
bk said:
Here are a few That I found. The two at the top are from 1926 but are consecutive numbers. They were both found in the same yard.
BK Thanks for posting your pictures. I have been collecting for 35 years, pre-1900 tags AND information. I was aware of these tags from their serial numbers and knew they existed but I had not see a picture of the Henderson tag. I think that we might have a common acquaintance, Gary Kreusel.

tagman

Greenie
Feb 21, 2005
Thanks for your response Free.
I have been collecting dog license tags for 35 years and I probably know less about the value of them than anyone associated with the hobby since the advent of eBay. I try to never price some one elses tags but I will be pleased to share with you some basic philosophy.
Almost any pre-1900 tag with the name of the issuing agency, (city, county, state, township), and in good condition is worth a minimum of $50. Mavericks (T.P., C.T.P., C.L.P., TAX PAID, DOG TAG or any similar lettering) is worth $10-35. Tags from small towns with low serial numbers are worth more than tags from large cities with larger serial numbers. There are only about 10 serious collectors of this type of material and the market is very active but very shallow. Most are state collectors and are interested primarily in their state only, there are only maybe 5 or 6 that are interested in pre-1900 tags from anywhere! When one or more of this group bumps heads the price can escalate quickly. You follow eBay and when you see a tag go above $200 you have at least two of the latter group competiting. One of these individuals has very deep pockets but a very limited knowledge of the hobby and has created a rather distorted view of the current market, if it's old it must be valuable!
I will be pleased to hear from you anytime. tagman...

tagman

Greenie
Feb 21, 2005
All HI pre-1900 tags are scarce and it's extremely difficult to assess the market as so few show up for sale. I have seen them sell from $100 to $200 but most individuals who have them are usually more interested in trading for items they are more interested in.
tagman

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Great,pre-1900 dimes, quarters, 1/2's. Now it's pre1900 bells, stars, cloverleafs, bones, and hydrants. Just one more barrior to breaks through. HAHA Looks like this ithread is going to the dogs. ;D HH

tagman

Greenie
Feb 21, 2005
If anyone is interested in pursuing this subject further you might want to check into eBay Groups under community. Type in DOG LICENSE TAGS and you will meet 100 members with 60+ current discussions. bill...

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Just found my first dog liscence five days ago. But it's only from 1957 and not nearly as cool looking as the ones pictured here. Had no idea that the old ones were that valuable. Thanks for the heads up.

williefire

Feb 11, 2005
Statesboro Georgia
Ive got a couple from Savannah from the early 1900's.....bottom left in pic...one is in the shape of a dogz head....

Attachments

• misc stuff.JPG
    misc stuff.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 438
  • misc stuff.JPG
    misc stuff.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 304

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread