How many people find pre-1900 Dog tax tags?

doglicenseorg

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa USA
1902s are rare and on ebay they are averaging $79-125, please check out ebay listings under Dog Tax and Dog License.... I have a website on the hobby of dog license collecting at www.doglicense.org please refer to it for ebay action, snipings and tag facts.... In general a pre 1900 tag is worth a minimum of 150.00 if it is rare (meaning only 1-3 are known) mavericks have sold for $55-$86 within the last 12 months.

Mavericks have no identifying state, county or town on them. Canadian, German and other foreign tags don't command the American price for their tags. Rare tags are often sold in the $300's and 2 years ago, a sante fe tag was sold for $555.55 to a collector who has collected for over 30 yrs. A similar tag was recently auctioned off of ebay for only $307.60. To see photos of these 2 tags go to my site and click on the DOG BYTES icon. Scroll down until you see the article on 2005-04-23

doglicenseorg

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa USA
PRICES of dog license tags vary, but the best barometer of how desirable a tag is would be to list it on ebay. A starting price of $50 would be fair unless it is one of the 1882 common Indiana tags which are worth about $15.00 now due to so many that exist. A coin dealer who hase sold over 50 pre 1900 dog tags in the past will list them at $1.00 because he knows that ebay will fetch the top dollar and is a fair way to expose something.Serious collectors will pay more than those who are not as serious. If you sell your tag on the side without shopping it around, you may have cheated yourself. At least ebay is of the highest exposure where a seller can't go wrong. Don't make the mistake of listing it simply as a DOG TAG, be sure and include the words License and Tax in the listing title. I have bought thousands of tags on ebay over the last 5 years. I have sold some also. Check out my educational, hobby club site at www.DogLicense.org under Dog Bytes for articles.......

By the way I have been President of a metal detecting club in Pittsburgh, Pa. and I have bought many tags from these hard working diggers. I always offer top dollar to those who seek to sell their tags. I currently write for NTCA, a token collectors club with monthly newsletters. To join, please contact me at [email protected]. The fee is $30. THis is a great, comprehensive club with a large meeting in Omaha every year. All members can write free classified ads. It is full of historical info and ebay prices .......

Asking the price of a dog tag is like asking your grandfather what he paid for his house and asking his great grandkids what they paid for theirs. You will get 2 vastly different answers. A wealthy person drives a Bentley and the poor drives an early model car. Does this mean that the Bentley driver overpaid? No, not unless you ask the poor guy. Generational differences are as evident in dog tag collecting as they are in shoes, houses and cars.

The younger people always pay higher. One reason is that antique collectibles are in short supply. Many tags were bought, traded or hoarded from the past which leaves a limited supply for current collectors. A person on a FIXED or limited income will value something less than someone who desires it more. I have heard accounts of pre 1900 tags selling for $5-$10 each, 15-20 years ago. Some individuals bought them at these prices and even bought "traders too" at these prices. Hoards are often used in trades, because nobody is the wiser. Individuals who have collected for over 10 years got some pretty good deals back then and are using this to their advantage now.

Be very careful with trading. Many people will want to trade you something from their stock (which is common and not as valuable) to obtain your rare tag. It is good to set a base price of what you are asking for, say $150 and then shop your tag around with top or winning ebay bidders or other collectors and experts. Some people do not like to be asked to appraise tags, because value is subjective at best. The seller should first set his or her price and then take bids over that amount. Photos of zerox images are necessary in completing an evaluation. *If you are not seriously trying to sell your tag, be sure and tell people up front. I have witnessed high reserves set on ebay only to find out that the seller was just FISHING for value. This scheme is not fair to serious collectors. I just acquired a pre 1900 Phoenix, Az. tag that is beautiful-large, brass and with a dogs head on it. I will post photos shortly for all to see.

The bottom line for sellers or diggers is $$$$$$$ which is best acquired by having lots of exposure and multiple competitors!!!!! A serious and secure buyer is not afraid of competition. Diane Bandy, author, webmaster and President of DLTC

doglicenseorg

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa USA
You may be right. I would have to check my collection. I didn't recognize your ebay name. In clubs around here there are very few female detectors..
One of the pre 1900 dog license tags that I bought from an individual was previously written about in Western and Eastern Treasures magazine about 18 months ago. Did anybody see it?A friend in my club showed me the article and when I got home, I compared the serial number and it was MY tag.

This group ofdiggers/ collectors is interconnected and we all have similar contacts.
have placed ads in detecting magazines with great luck. One fellow in Oregon dug up a pre 1900 Australian tag in his yard and sold it to me. It has a rare shape. I was so excited when I got his phone call that I gave him a super offer on the tag, far better than ones like it are sold for on ebay.

The Grand Forks, North Dakota 1897 is one of a few that I own from this state. I like it and the shape is very unique compared to other American pre 1900's in my collection. Tags from N.D. are few and far between....I know price paid is on all of your minds - I paid $200 (which included shipping and insurance) for it last year. Great price considering as dug for free.( Just kidding, detectors, batteries, time spent, and earphones are not free) This antique tag looks like an "8" numeral or a double circle.

Attachments

• img052.jpg
    img052.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,147

Quozzy

Greenie
Apr 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I'm responding in the wrong way.
I found several items that I've always believed to be Dog tax tags but recently someone said they were actually hiking stick badges.
Would love to know what you guys think, are they dog tax tags.
Many thanks,
Q. IMG_20200404_162330_compress19.jpg

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greetings , those are nice tags . you should post them in the what is it forum . you'll get more eyes on them and an answer in no time..

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have not found Old dog tags....on one of the pod casts, they had a Person that specialized in that area...apparently they are in high demand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread