Tip on public property use rules.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's alot of debate about where to get info about metal detecting. Schools, municipal park systems ect. Have either a mission statement or ground use page on their websites. Then if you want print a copy off and if anyone hassles you give them a copy and tell them there's nothing in the rules.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes, the "magic of the internet" and a printer from the office supply store. The trouble is though:

A lot of smaller cities and counties don't necessarily have their "municipal codes" (laws, charter, and such) posted on-line. Yes, some do. You merely click on the parks dept. And from there, often a sub-menu has "Park rules", and from there, you determine there is no rule that says "no metal detecting". You print those pages, and presto, problem solved. If some busy-body approaches you, you show them the rules. Or if you have a doubt or suspicion that perhaps even though the PARK'S codes dont' say thing anything about that, perhaps the city-wide rules have something (very rare and un-likely). Ok, then you click the 'print' button on the entire muni-laws section. Presto, problem solved.

But again, another problem you can face, is even though none of those "rules/laws" listing might not have any prohibitions on md'ing, yet .... let's face it .... someone can "morph" other silly stuff to apply. You know, the usual "defacement and alterations" verbage. To which I would say those only apply to the end result. So if you leave no trace, technically you haven't broken those. However, someone can level the charge, regardless. Or stuff about "collecting and harvesting" or "cultural heritage" or "disturbing earthworms", etc.....

But I do not assume, from the git-go, that any of the above things apply (until "told otherwise"). Because to assume they apply, is that you might as well give it up now, and stick to private property. Thus I will only figure that a *specific* prohibition is the only thing that applies, till told otherwise. And you're right: You print out a list of the rules, and ..... there's your "permission" slip :) If someone has an issue, they're welcome to tell you. Avoid such encounters and avoid such lookie-lous to begin with. Hunt at low traffic times.

OP
OP
N

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do I usually go before dark when it cools off but mostly less people out. I hunt in the town I live in and everybody is pretty 911 happy around here and I haven't had any problems yet. Cops drive by and people talk to me all the time. Like you said staying low key is it. I live by act like your suppose to be there and it never fails me, I just blend in beeping away lol. But schools during class times are a huge no no!! That's the quickest way to get thrown out for good. But when I go somewhere if there's not a sign that says no metal detecting or no digging or vandalism I'm on it until I'm told otherwise.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

..... if there's not a sign that says no metal detecting or no digging or vandalism I'm on it until I'm told otherwise.

I can understand not going if there were a sign (or a rule) for "no detecting", but as for the possibility that a sign or rule that forbids "digging" and/or "vandalism", I would be a little more hesitant to let those terms stop me. Because let's face it:

a) are you "vandalizing" anything? I mean, if you leave the area exactly as you found it, then by logical definition, no, you have not vandalizED anything, now have you? :icon_scratch: So why would you think you'd be running afoul of that? And as for parks or schools possibly having such a rule, well... of COURSE they all do. Since when is vandalizing ever legal anyhow? Thus, no, I would not equate your hobby as somehow being equivalent with "vandalism".

b) even the term "dig" or "digging", while it may or may not appear in some parks or cities codes, yet .... even that is a loaded term, just like vandalizing. Because again, just like in vandalism, the inherent implicit reason for such verbage, is, of course, HOLES. And since you are not going to leave holes, then it seems to me you're fulfilling the spirit of such verbage. Sure there's the "temporary evil" that someone might gripe about. Pick lower traffic times and avoid such lookie-lous. If the need to "dig" bothers someone, then at some point, you have to ask yourself "why did I get into metal detecting then?" I really think such terms are implictly aimed at the end effect, and even most reasonable people would see it that way (even when/if there were actually such specific verbage).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread