Best metal detector £500 and under for Woodland

greentree89

Mar 28, 2013
UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro VLF Eldorado Old Metal Box Version
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi i am new to metal detecting and was wondering what the best metal detector would be for forest and woodland areas and has the best depth reading/detecting.
My budget would be £500 max I might consider something up to £600 but i would rather use that money to buy a pinpointer as well.

Thanks very much in advance!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you just need an all around detector and you're not searching for something specific, I'd probably go with the Garrett AT Pro. It should be pretty close to that budget but you'll have to check to see if you have a local Garrett dealer or if you have to have it shipped to you. We have several Treasure Net supporting dealers that would be happy to give you a quote.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Lots of choses out there. AT Pro, F4, F5, Outlaw, Tejon.....
For depth, hands down on a Tejon.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In comparing the Tejon to the AT Pro, the Tejon doesn't have an I.D. meter or a depth gauge, and it's not waterproof. To some that isn't important. You'll have to decide if that's important to you. If what you're looking for is real deep and digging is easy, it might not be.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In comparing the Tejon to the AT Pro, the Tejon doesn't have an I.D. meter or a depth gauge, and it's not waterproof. To some that isn't important. You'll have to decide if that's important to you. If what you're looking for is real deep and digging is easy, it might not be.

Also the tejon has only one tone.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

Also the tejon has only one tone.

Yes it does. That's all you need.
But in all fairness greentree89 is new to the hobby so in ways I think a multi tone with screen might be better, but not a necessity.
Personally I wish I started without a screen and multi tone machine 16 years ago.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with a beep and dig BFO machine and almost quit the hobby because I was finding so much junk. I love the modern machines with all the bells and whistles. It gives you so many more options and indications before you dig. My good to bad target ratio goes up every year with the new innovations.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

Personally for me I've made the biggest leap this month after getting my Outlaw than I did in the prior 15 years.
I'm very accurate at depth without a meter and forced to use my brain more without a screen to distract me.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Members in our local club that are using the high end machines are the ones winning the show and tell competition. Most of them have the older machines too but they're just in the closet collecting dust or on the "for sale" table at the meetings. If the older machines were better, they'd be using THEM and selling the high end machines. Lately, the finds with the CTX3030's have just been amazing! When we have our club hunts, you just have to look at the results. The number of good finds is a lot higher with the top of the line stuff than the entry level machines regardless of how experienced the user is. Don't get me wrong! Experience is very important to being successful but a person with the same amount of expertise on an ACE 150, an AT pro, and a CTX3030, is going to have more success with the 3030. It's mainly a numbers game. You can just dig more good targets and not waste time digging bad ones that might be good but usually aren't.

OP
OP
G

greentree89

Mar 28, 2013
UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro VLF Eldorado Old Metal Box Version
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for all your advice so far on what to buy.
I am torn between the AT Pro and Tesoro Tejo.
I do find all the extra functions attractive, with a screen and especially that it is water proof.
With that said the tejon sounds like it can detect much deeper.
When you say the tejon is not waterproof, can you still submerge the coil only instead?

I can imagine in the long term it may be frustrating digging up lots of junk but I find it quite exciting never knowing what you will find, all part of the adventure.
If there are default settings for both detectors, which would detect more and at greater depths?
There are indeed quite a lot of detectors on the market and I find it overwhelming!
but I do know which ever I choose, given enough time I will get used to it and settle down nicely

Though I will mainly be using it in woodland areas I do like the idea of searching around rivers and harbours as well.
So would the tejon coils be waterproof?

I noticed there is a Tesoro Tejon Pro as well, is there much difference?
Thanks again!

Last edited:

Skexis

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Xterra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Dorchester from many years back and I would go with the AT Pro and, given what you want to do with it, it's waterproofing will be good for you. They're not too good on salt water beaches though.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
greentree welcome to Tnet. There is no best tecter. Period. For anything. No, really. And you should not consider a pocket pinpointer at this time, learn to pp with the machine proper, which is fundamental to tectin. And its free. As a beginner, avoid the numbers and depth meter like the plague. F2 with big dd and pocket the change. Good luck greentree!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread