New place to hunt

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Huh, if you "have permission", then what's to fear from "attracting attention" ? If any busy-bodies approach you and gripe, you merely whip out "your permission" and presto, they slink away embarassed for having questioned you, right?

Wrong. As you surmise, the "permission" is not able to get you out jams. There's no shortage of stories of persons who "had permission", simply to have it promptly revoked the moment any cop or gardener gets his panties in a wad (because he thinks you'll harm earthworms or leave holes). And if you flash your "permission", he merely gets on his cell-phone, calls city hall and says ... "but he's tearing the place up!!" (which isn't true, of course). And then guess what happens to your "permission" ? Hence your comment about STILL using a little .... uh .... "discretion" of timing, is very accurate.

But what would you have done if whomever you'd asked for permission had said "no" ? And what would you'd have followed that up with "where is that written", and if they could cite no laws that said any such thing? And if you later learned that others detect there with no problems? At some point, would you realize that the "no" is rather arbitrary, and you've done nothing more than preclude yourself from a hunting area? And if you planned (as you say) on going at low traffic times so as not to arouse busy-bodies to begin with, why not just look up the rules for yourself, and as you say, avoid such busy-bodies?

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right I have permission so I'm not going to hide the official that give me permission stated that just throw his name out if someone give me trouble

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if HIS boss overrides his decision? The best permission slip is the one you don't have to use. I agree with your decision to hunt at low traffic times and to avoid confrontation with anyone. You were lucky to get permission so I wouldn't want to press your luck. Somebody in the chain of command will come up with a "no" if the subject is brought up enough.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

You are right I have permission so I'm not going to hide the official that give me permission stated that just throw his name out if someone give me trouble

sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I was AGREEING with you that it's always good to hunt at low traffic times, so that you either a) don't have to show some busy-body your "permission", or b) don't even have to have anyone gripe to begin with, so "permission" becomes a mute point, as no ones there to gripe anyhow.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plan to hunt this weekend I recon the area today and early morning hunt less people around keep u guys postd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread