flying with your detector

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I carry the electronics and coil in a backpack,the rods go in my suitcase.A week from today the Wife and I will be spending 3 weeks in the DR.Hope we both have some goods to post!:laughing7: GodBless Chris

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I tried, they wouldn't let it go as carry on....I had to check it. I use a suitcase with some clothing as padding to protect the control housing.

spotmom

Apr 22, 2010
I have taken mine (from Alaska) to Hawaii, Arizona, Washington and Montana and Illinois on all kinds of big and small planes. I put the control box and coils in a well padded cooler type lunchbox that just fits them and into my carry on, then the rods go in baggage. Since they won't insure or be responsible for electronics and you can't secure your bags I don't see how they can keep you from carrying them on.

I figure if they lose or destroy the rods in baggage I can always find a good stick and keep going, plus they would be covered under lost and damaged baggage. I have had the coils swabbed for explosives, but never a second glance as far as taking them on board. I keep batteries in the control box so I can demonstrate that it is indeed a metal detector in case the need ever arises. I think it is the rods that will trip you up if anything, even though they are no different from a walking cane they look more like they could be some kind of weapon.

I use the well padded lunchbox and wrap the control box in bubble plastic, too, juuusssttt in case I ever have to do an emergency stuffing into my baggage. I also have my name and number engraved outside AND somewhere inside of all my equipment. One for the honest person who might return it, and one for the dishonest person who might leave a big scrape mark on the outside where my name used to be. Also, photograph everything (with serial numbers, too!) and keep stuff like that on a flash drive in your pocket and at home (or on dropbox for access from anywhere) in case a claim or ID ever has to be made. You can password protect the thumb drive files for more security.

Oh, and you probably don't want to try to bring a pinpointer as carry on. They just look too suspicious, especially the more "gun shaped" and poorly labeled "White's Bullseye"! TSA guys are sometimes a little twitchy.

Last edited:

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just travelled to Europe with my silver umax and had no real problems except for at the security in Frankfurt Germany. They seen the coil was hollow and thought that you could possibly hide things so they swabbed it and stuff. I am not sure of the size of the garrett at pro but I would not stick the coil or top part in your luggage. My dad once brought a bunch of tools which cost an easy $1500 because one was an expensive meter and the airline only gave him a few hundred.

Also another thing is you can't travel with batteries. I kept my stash of 6, 9 volts in my checked luggage.

And just one more thing of advice, I would bring a small shovel (2 feet) over a handheld digger. I was going to bring a digger to cut down on the weight, but thank God I didn't, the soil conditions in Northern Italy and Austria would have been awful for a handheld digger.

OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The at pro uses 8 AA's. Tons of eletronics use those so I would think I might be ok.

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Electro shock weapons (e.g. Tasers) containing dangerous goods such as explosives, compressed gases, lithium batteries, etc. are forbidden in carry-on baggage or checked baggage or on the person."

If they are lithium I'd be careful just incase they make you throw them out

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This all great info, I'll be going to Puerto Rico in two weeks

Camron

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think due to some security reason most of the airline companies are more concious about the security.So they can check each and every thing.So its better to take it separate so that you can easily face the security officer.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Keep in mind that most airlines will compensate you for lost luggaage and clothes, but not electronics. If it gets lost, you will be out of luck.

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If an airline loses your stuff don't expect to get back what its worth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread