most frustrating day detecting EVER

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had three hours today so I went to the park with my brand new AT pro.. Did I just not look hard enough or is there a reason no one told me the garrett digging tool is worthless? First, the endcap of the handle popped loose into the handle so if I tried to use my palm for leverage at all it felt like I was being crucified.

yeah....lets put a rubber grip on the handle that slips down as soon as you grip it and push down. I actually ended up taking this rubber "comfort" grip off at the end of my hunt.

why in the world would you design a recovery tool with this god awful right angle at the base of the handle? ---- probably after the third hole my pointer finger was bleeding since it is what absorbed the blunt of my force pushing down on the handle

most notable is that unless your digging in the sand, mud, or the hopper of a slushee machine, you will not efficiently move any dirt. I used a 2 dollar trowel with my silver umax and this 40$ piece of garbage increased my recovery time from around 1 minute to a minimum of 6 (with extreme frustration and pain)

As if my "relaxation" time wasn't going bad enough--- my pro pointer now is useless. It air tests normal on metal objects but the second that I put it in a hole of dirt it starts beeping sporadically and continues to do so if I pull it out and up into the air. For every target I had to put my head phones back on and use my coil to half ass pinpoint. I am the original owner of the pro pointer but I didn't fill out any warranty info a year ago when I got it as a gift (I directed them to the site where to purchase it)-- I guess ill call garrett and throw myself at their feet.

As far as the Atpro, it was a little overwhelming at first but I think I just need to get used to it.
1. I started with pro zero , iron discrim at 29, full sens, and auto balanced but as soon as I swung it on the ground, I got beeps for everything that had ever been in the ground.
2. I tried to use std coin mode and make myself feel good about a shallow quarter but the bleeding knuckles outweighed this
3. I finally started seeing some repeatable 90's read outs but the high pitch sounds were never alone..there was always a midtone or iron tone thrown in there even if it was a coin and even if I had my iron discrim at 30.
4. The depth indicator is wildly inaccurate
5. I didn't dig any coins deeper than 4 inches regardless of what the depth indicator said. the faintest repeatable signals I got were quarters at 5 inches
6. people have mentioned that theres a point where it will beep a sound and not necessarily have a readout number but I noticed that this is an extremely small window.

found a dollar in clad today with an equal number of trash digs. 3 hours down 97 painful hours to go

Im not discouraged with the Atpro yet but the propointer and digger made for a very bad day

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
There is not a digger that any metal detecter company puts out that is not just plain junk....... The only digger that i found to be very good and not fall apart is the lesche digger.. The only other one i found to be good was the Gator digger that Kellyco put out about 20 years ago or longer for i have used a Gator digger for about 30 years the older ones and still use it...There new gator digger's are also a nothing but crap. & Junk.......

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hori hori tool I bought is like the one at this link. I've used it for a few months now and am very happy with it. It seems very well built. The handle is wood, so I guess it could deteriorate over a few years if you don't take care of it. The blade is stainless steel, slightly curved, knife edge on one side and serrated edge for sawing on the other. Looks easy to sharpen but I haven't had to do it yet. The name stamped into the blade is Nisaku and the sticker on the handle says: Tomita No 650. Hard to beat for the price and free shipping!
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Japanese Hori Hori Garden Landscaping Digging To

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you would have bought from bigboyshobbies.net you would have received a lesch digging tool with your ATP.

Bigboyshobbies.net always has the best package deals and for the same price you can buy the ATP other places without a package.

I did buy from Bart at big boys hobbies. Does the adventure package usually come with a lesche tool?

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you would have bought your ATP from Bart at BigBoysHobbies.net you would have got a Leshe free with your purchase

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aggreed...Buy lesche digger...I have had mine for 3 years, never a problem.

And for your issues with your AT PRo...How many times have you used it?

When I first got mine, i had issues, and went back to my ACE....but then finally had the pateince to figure it out.

First off...I wouldnt run FULL SENSITIVITY Ever, I would back it down like 3 notches...Or you ARE going to get wild readings in trashy areas....Using FULL SENS doesnt make your coil go deeper.

Second...I would use it in PRO MODE ...the Std Mode is a joke on this machine

If you are gettign readings in the 90's and low tones with it...its usally about 90% of the Junk..Steel Screw Caps..or just Iron stuff.

The depth probally isnt right because when it reads junk, it bounces around alot

You mentioned you got Quarter Signals at 5" but didnt dig any coins deeper than 4"? I can tell you , this machine will pick a button out of the groung at 8" easy.

What it sounds like, is you were in a really trashy area, and the machine wasnt liking it much...it took me about 3 months to start figuring out the good signals from the bad...and after 2 years of it...I still learn somethign new everyday.

I think if you give it some time, things will start to click on what the machine is saying.

Good Luck man, Keep us posted on your finds with it!
Why do you think standard mode is a joke on the AT pro? I think its a good way to learn the AT pro and its only about an inch shallower than standard mode...I know pro mode gives you a lot more info and has several other advantages but I don't think standard mode is a joke. You can switch to Pro mode when you get the feel of the machine.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have checked out both the lesche and garrett and for some time the lesche handle was doing the same thing and they were having return issues plus the lesche blade is thinner and have seen pictures from ppl on here showing their lesche blade worn down as if grinding it on asphalt. the garrett has a much thicker blade but now having the handle issues too, I modified my garrett digger by grinding the blades and teeth sharp as for a handle, bike handles fit it easy. The angle is the same on both diggers so buying the lesche wont change that problem for you. Id take a lesche over a garrett only because the lesche is made in the USA and the garrett is china made---shame on you garrett.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You get a Garrett digger with the Adventure package.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bzbadger said:
I have checked out both the lesche and garrett and for some time the lesche handle was doing the same thing and they were having return issues plus the lesche blade is thinner and have seen pictures from ppl on here showing their lesche blade worn down as if grinding it on asphalt. the garrett has a much thicker blade but now having the handle issues too, I modified my garrett digger by grinding the blades and teeth sharp as for a handle, bike handles fit it easy. The angle is the same on both diggers so buying the lesche wont change that problem for you. Id take a lesche over a garrett only because the lesche is made in the USA and the garrett is china made---shame on you garrett.

Garrett detectors are made in the USA. Besides if you own anything electronic in your house where do you think they are made? I should say they are assembled in the USA, most every electronic component manufactured comes from over seas.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Garrett digger handle did the same thing. I went to a bicycle shop and bought a pair of rubber grips, for about $5, and replaced it. The bike grip hasted about 2 months with no issues.

My propointer will chirp in the hole, if I am pushing down on the top of it. Something about pushing on the cap where the battery is makes it chirp. Maybe you are pushing on the top of yours while probing?

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a tool from Predator Tools. They have a nice selection and they are very well made. They are made by the people that make the Lesche tool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread