most frustrating day detecting EVER

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had three hours today so I went to the park with my brand new AT pro.. Did I just not look hard enough or is there a reason no one told me the garrett digging tool is worthless? First, the endcap of the handle popped loose into the handle so if I tried to use my palm for leverage at all it felt like I was being crucified.

yeah....lets put a rubber grip on the handle that slips down as soon as you grip it and push down. I actually ended up taking this rubber "comfort" grip off at the end of my hunt.

why in the world would you design a recovery tool with this god awful right angle at the base of the handle? ---- probably after the third hole my pointer finger was bleeding since it is what absorbed the blunt of my force pushing down on the handle

most notable is that unless your digging in the sand, mud, or the hopper of a slushee machine, you will not efficiently move any dirt. I used a 2 dollar trowel with my silver umax and this 40$ piece of garbage increased my recovery time from around 1 minute to a minimum of 6 (with extreme frustration and pain)

As if my "relaxation" time wasn't going bad enough--- my pro pointer now is useless. It air tests normal on metal objects but the second that I put it in a hole of dirt it starts beeping sporadically and continues to do so if I pull it out and up into the air. For every target I had to put my head phones back on and use my coil to half ass pinpoint. I am the original owner of the pro pointer but I didn't fill out any warranty info a year ago when I got it as a gift (I directed them to the site where to purchase it)-- I guess ill call garrett and throw myself at their feet.

As far as the Atpro, it was a little overwhelming at first but I think I just need to get used to it.
1. I started with pro zero , iron discrim at 29, full sens, and auto balanced but as soon as I swung it on the ground, I got beeps for everything that had ever been in the ground.
2. I tried to use std coin mode and make myself feel good about a shallow quarter but the bleeding knuckles outweighed this
3. I finally started seeing some repeatable 90's read outs but the high pitch sounds were never alone..there was always a midtone or iron tone thrown in there even if it was a coin and even if I had my iron discrim at 30.
4. The depth indicator is wildly inaccurate
5. I didn't dig any coins deeper than 4 inches regardless of what the depth indicator said. the faintest repeatable signals I got were quarters at 5 inches
6. people have mentioned that theres a point where it will beep a sound and not necessarily have a readout number but I noticed that this is an extremely small window.

found a dollar in clad today with an equal number of trash digs. 3 hours down 97 painful hours to go

Im not discouraged with the Atpro yet but the propointer and digger made for a very bad day

Upvote 0

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa. Miserable day..."sigh"... I found a fork! 'And when I got home, I found 3 ticks!:laughing7:

Last edited:

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received my Garrett $40.00 digging tool this past Monday, and tonight I noticed the end of the rubber grip on the handle was coming apart like you described. Seems I got a few more hours of use than you did. They should be ashamed to charge that much for such a poor design. It should last several years of hard use for that much money.

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to you guys, I just ordered the Lesche from Amazon.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a lesche digger. Sounds like the pin pointer is low on battery power to me....
I ground balance mine myself start out with iron all the way at 40 and back my sensitivity down half ways. I do not watch the machine so much as listen to the dull sounds of iron and wait for a high tone. Many times it will be faint and I will turn and sweep it from a diff direction and if I still get that faint high tone will dig it.
It took me a while to get on board with it and still pin point terrible with it but am getting better the more time I spend on it. I do not pay an attention to the depth meter and I pop out the same size plug every time. Trust me I am not a surgeon with it like I am with a tesoro or the f-75 but it has really gave me some finds the others did not.

Hang in there you really had a bad day.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try keeping the coil of your main detector pointed away from you when you use the ProPointer. They may be crosstalking to each other. You might even try turning off your detector to see if that cures the problem.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aggreed...Buy lesche digger...I have had mine for 3 years, never a problem.

And for your issues with your AT PRo...How many times have you used it?

When I first got mine, i had issues, and went back to my ACE....but then finally had the pateince to figure it out.

First off...I wouldnt run FULL SENSITIVITY Ever, I would back it down like 3 notches...Or you ARE going to get wild readings in trashy areas....Using FULL SENS doesnt make your coil go deeper.

Second...I would use it in PRO MODE ...the Std Mode is a joke on this machine

If you are gettign readings in the 90's and low tones with it...its usally about 90% of the Junk..Steel Screw Caps..or just Iron stuff.

The depth probally isnt right because when it reads junk, it bounces around alot

You mentioned you got Quarter Signals at 5" but didnt dig any coins deeper than 4"? I can tell you , this machine will pick a button out of the groung at 8" easy.

What it sounds like, is you were in a really trashy area, and the machine wasnt liking it much...it took me about 3 months to start figuring out the good signals from the bad...and after 2 years of it...I still learn somethign new everyday.

I think if you give it some time, things will start to click on what the machine is saying.

Good Luck man, Keep us posted on your finds with it!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had three hours today so I went to the park with my brand new AT pro.. Did I just not look hard enough or is there a reason no one told me the garrett digging tool is worthless? First, the endcap of the handle popped loose into the handle so if I tried to use my palm for leverage at all it felt like I was being crucified.

yeah....lets put a rubber grip on the handle that slips down as soon as you grip it and push down. I actually ended up taking this rubber "comfort" grip off at the end of my hunt.

why in the world would you design a recovery tool with this god awful right angle at the base of the handle? ---- probably after the third hole my pointer finger was bleeding since it is what absorbed the blunt of my force pushing down on the handle

most notable is that unless your digging in the sand, mud, or the hopper of a slushee machine, you will not efficiently move any dirt. I used a 2 dollar trowel with my silver umax and this 40$ piece of garbage increased my recovery time from around 1 minute to a minimum of 6 (with extreme frustration and pain)

As if my "relaxation" time wasn't going bad enough--- my pro pointer now is useless. It air tests normal on metal objects but the second that I put it in a hole of dirt it starts beeping sporadically and continues to do so if I pull it out and up into the air. For every target I had to put my head phones back on and use my coil to half ass pinpoint. I am the original owner of the pro pointer but I didn't fill out any warranty info a year ago when I got it as a gift (I directed them to the site where to purchase it)-- I guess ill call garrett and throw myself at their feet.

As far as the Atpro, it was a little overwhelming at first but I think I just need to get used to it.
1. I started with pro zero , iron discrim at 29, full sens, and auto balanced but as soon as I swung it on the ground, I got beeps for everything that had ever been in the ground.
2. I tried to use std coin mode and make myself feel good about a shallow quarter but the bleeding knuckles outweighed this
3. I finally started seeing some repeatable 90's read outs but the high pitch sounds were never alone..there was always a midtone or iron tone thrown in there even if it was a coin and even if I had my iron discrim at 30.
4. The depth indicator is wildly inaccurate
5. I didn't dig any coins deeper than 4 inches regardless of what the depth indicator said. the faintest repeatable signals I got were quarters at 5 inches
6. people have mentioned that theres a point where it will beep a sound and not necessarily have a readout number but I noticed that this is an extremely small window.

found a dollar in clad today with an equal number of trash digs. 3 hours down 97 painful hours to go

Im not discouraged with the Atpro yet but the propointer and digger made for a very bad day

Also...about the pinpointer....Garrett has a very good Customer Service team, that are more than happy to assist you with any problems....I would check your battery in it first...Mine was jacked up for awhile, and i found out my battery was just getting low....But i too have one of those pinpointers that will go of sporaditcally...i just turn it off and on a few times.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bummer of a day! At least you were able to add some humor in your write up. I think everyone one has had "one of those days" when it comes to doing a hobby. Best of luck going forward. I just bought the Garrett Propointer and used it for the first time last weekend. Worked great for me. As others suggested, maybe the battery is low or there is interference with your detector. I made sure to point my detector (a Tesoro Cibola) away from the target hole when using the Propointer each time. I bought a Lesche hand digger from the start and it's been great, highly recommended.

BugsyDiggs

Aug 13, 2013
Dam eh I broke the pick end of my trenching shovel too just the other day luckily I had my diggin knife.
My propointer also wiggs out sometimes I just reset it and it's fine.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Propointer will occasionally go crazy like this. I keep a spare 9V battery in my digging pouch, and usually changing the battery to a fresh one cures the problem.

Lesson learned. Always try out new equipment and tools in your own yard, so you can discover what works and doesn't before wasting gas and time to go somewhere else.

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesche digger is the way to go.

Regarding the Pro Pointer, they don't like Duracell batteries. I've sometimes had to slip a penny between the cap and the battery to get them to work better. Double check to see if you have a Duracell battery in the Pro Pointer. Duracells are shorter than other 9 volts.

Regarding the AT Pro, it does have a harder learning curve. However, I've found 800 coins and 4 rings with mine since I got it in April. I had a hard time with it for about 2 months and then I started using it like a champ. BTW, the 5x8 coil for the AT Pro is a must have.

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same problem with my Garrett digger. I emailed Garrett and they sent another right out for nothing, but that doesn't help the poor end cap design! I now you a short spade shovel I bought at TSC for $12 and it does just fine. Next year I will spring for a nice Samson T handle! :thumbsup:

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a Lesche digger, you won't regret it. I just got done sending my Propointer back for the third time in 2 years. The going off in mid air is a known problem......they will fix it with excellent service,

For the AT Pro I ground balance, then put the iron discrim. at 35 to 40 and sensitivity 2 bars from full, iron audio off. I like to run standard. When I get a hit I check the iron audio and if it hits low tones I pass
on digging unless I believe there is more than one target. Then I switch to pro mode to try to sort that out. I would guess most people here just do pro 0 though.

If you are doing trashy areas you will need the smaller DD coil. I would guess after you try that you will leave the standard coil in the car for most hunts.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've already sent away for the Lesche so next I would send a request back to Garret for a refund of your money for their hunk of junk digger or contact the place you purchased it from with the same request. Asking for the refund from both places may not get you anything but then you will have tried. Post your results with getting your money returned for this badly designed tool!!

You've received some helpful advice from others on the use of the detector also, in the brands area of Tnet you will find the Garret area and you can ask questions of the machines use to others who own Garrets. The more relevant info you can get along with Tips from actual users the shorter your learning curve will be and the happier you will be and the sooner you will be enjoying your detector and I've read it is a good machine.

Best of success with all of your quests......................63bkpkr

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he doesn't like the right angle at bottom of handle on garret digger he isn't going to like the right angle at bottom of handle on the lesche either.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he doesn't like the right angle at bottom of handle on garret digger he isn't going to like the right angle at bottom of handle on the lesche either.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Same basic shape as Garrett just better steel and handle.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you would have bought from bigboyshobbies.net you would have received a lesch digging tool with your ATP.

Bigboyshobbies.net always has the best package deals and for the same price you can buy the ATP other places without a package.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread