Anyone subscribe to the AMERICAN DIGGER magazine

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too Expensive for only six issues a year!!!

coinshooterdfx

Greenie
Nov 11, 2012
I agree, too much for only 6 issues.

White's DFX, White's MXT, White's Liberty, White's Coinmaster 6000/D, White's Coinmaster Pro, BH 101

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I subscribe and like the magazine very much. I'm not much a relic hunter myself, but I like the stuff other people find. I think its a good quality magazine.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed If it were a little cheaper or more issues id go for it but not how it is at the moment

Jcostin

Aug 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife bought it for my birthday a few weeks ago...first issue should be here next month.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had a subscription or had given one to my dad since 2009. Expensive I agree and mostly just pictures, I can read through the entire magazine in about an hour.

I recently bought all the issues from 2005 through part of 2013 used, and then decided to keep the subscription going because I wanted the goal of having every issue.

I would like to have a "slamming" hunt one day and do a write up on it.

Jcostin

Aug 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woo hoo...first issue arrived today!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YES!!!!! This is the best magazine that I have seen for our hobby. Sure it is pricey for 6 issues a year but the magazine is high quality and full of color pictures. The articles are great to read with stories from all over the US. I love to see what others are finding and the machine they are using. Also the "stumpted" articles on items people find that need help identifying. They also have a contest in each issue. Just have to find the hidden coin somewhere in the magazine. Sometimes they are easy to locate but there have been times I spend hours looking for it. Don't let the price stop you. I have seen the other black and white magazines that are monthly and I will take American Digger easily over them.

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES!!!!! This is the best magazine that I have seen for our hobby. Sure it is pricey for 6 issues a year but the magazine is high quality and full of color pictures. The articles are great to read with stories from all over the US. I love to see what others are finding and the machine they are using. Also the "stumpted" articles on items people find that need help identifying. They also have a contest in each issue. Just have to find the hidden coin somewhere in the magazine. Sometimes they are easy to locate but there have been times I spend hours looking for it. Don't let the price stop you. I have seen the other black and white magazines that are monthly and I will take American Digger easily over them.

It good to hear from someone who likes this magazine enough to talk it up. Most others I heard from or have spoken to, just don't think it's that great, especially being only 60/65 pages long and only six issues at year. Hell, there are a couple of pretty dam good treasure hunting type magazines out there that offer twice the number of pages, twelve issues a year and at about or even less than the cost for an annual subscription for this magazine.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have called them and spoke to Butch Holcombe's wife. They are a seemed to be a small company and they are down to earth folks who actually get out and dig themselves. They encourage readers to write articles and send pictures in.

Jun 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheapest priceon market that we know of...

Too Expensive for only six issues a year!!!

While we are bi monthly, we are still the least expensive digging/collecting magazine on the market at $34.95/year. Not sure of any cheaper, no matter the publication frequency. And at 72+ pages each issue, the largest.

Jun 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just which other magazines are you speaking of? We are a minimum of 72 pages each issue, for $34.95/year. I think you may have us confused with someone else. We are bi-monthly, 6 times a year, because it lets us publish only the best articles and allows us to produce a quality publication. We think it is the best on the market, as do many others.

It good to hear from someone who likes this magazine enough to talk it up. Most others I heard from or have spoken to, just don't think it's that great, especially being only 60/65 pages long and only six issues at year. Hell, there are a couple of pretty dam good treasure hunting type magazines out there that offer twice the number of pages, twelve issues a year and at about or even less than the cost for an annual subscription for this magazine.

Jun 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I subscribe and like the magazine very much. I'm not much a relic hunter myself, but I like the stuff other people find. I think its a good quality magazine.

For those who have never seen American Digger Magazine, feel free to browse our annual FREE sampler...not sure any other publications at any price offer that! :-)
http://issuu.com/americandigger/docs/2012_sampler

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my opinion all magazines are expensive, but from all the treasure magazines that are around, American Digger seems to be the best one.

From my perspective it seems more "real" and I like that there is a lot of reader input such as in the finds pages. This makes it very indispensable for determining and learning about relics. I have the first issues from 2005 and up and I feel that the quality of the pages and photos are hard to beat compared to other editorials.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want a magazine with zero ads, discusses my detectors and give me great hunting tip with undetected locations within an hours drive from my home........

I'm waiting!

LOL

Jim

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want a magazine with zero ads, discusses my detectors and give me great hunting tip with undetected locations within an hours drive from my home........

I'm waiting!

LOL

Jim

Haha a mag with no ads? They wouldn't be able to pay the bills as a business?!?! Plus those ads give you a heads up on what's on the market! I'd much prefer websites on MDing that don't have ads?!?! But that will never happen either..... I guess we'll both be waiting lol!

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early on in this thread, I posted that I thought this magazine was too expensive for my taste, at only six issues a year.

I was sent a copy of the magazine to check out, as I had never actually seen one. My early comment about price was based on a subscription cost comparison with both "Lost Treasure" and "Western & Eastern" magazines. Both of those magazines offer 12 issues a year (monthly), at about the same subscription cost as "American Digger". Both of those magazines average 60/62 pages an issue. "American Digger" magazine at 6 issues a year (by-monthly) averages about 72 pages per issue.

"American Digger" is pretty much dedicated to all forms of MDing, which limits the subject matter they have to write about. The other two magazines are dedicated to all forms of prospecting, including MDing, which give them much more subject matter to write about. As a result "American Digger" seems well suited as a by-monthly magazine.

I do like "American Digger" magazine at lot. The writing, photos and the material used (paper) are superior in quality. The magazine is well laid out. I like the "Stump't!" section a lot and I especially like the "Just Dug" section. All three magazines use a gloss type paper but the paper used by "American Digger" is of superior quality and as a result the photos are much sharper than the other two magazines.

Sorry, but it's in my nature and I still feel the price for "American Digger" is a bit on the high side but not out of line, because of the superior quality it offers. You do get what you pay for!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seem many of our 'Banner finds" and articles in there by T-Net members. Good thought out articles. I like it and have thought of submitting an artifact article for review. They share and promote our hobby and keep it in a positive light. We need that!
HH
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread