Minelab X-TERRA 705 VS AT PRO

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If you go with the AT Pro you will love it. Great machine! I upgraded from an ace 250 to the Pro and I love it. I was looking at the 705 as well but had more positive feed back on the AT pro. The 705 is slower than the AT. Both good machines but I love my AT pro. Water proof is a great feature and you can gold prospect as well.

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Upgraded from the ace 150 bout 2 months ago to the at pro and really wish I had done it a lot sooner!! Awesome machine !! Very fast and about as deep as I wanna dig!!

hobby

Aug 9, 2013
Let me start of by saying I have a ACE 250 and love it I have been detecting for about 2 years..
I have pretty much narrowed it down to one of these machines.... Would love to get some input..
I mainly hunt coins in my area...

I have AT PRO and fisher and had the 250 + the 350 .The AT PRO is a great detector so much that if I hold another detector I am scared that I will miss on targets .

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
I have the 250 myself and it's been an awesome machine. I do plan to upgrade to the ATP for the extra features.
Good luck!

HH

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only machines i have used are Garretts 350 and ATpro but i have hunted with people with a etrac machine and i found the pro has a shorter depth range by about 1.5 inches other than that they are about the same .i think who ever knows there machine better would come out on top for the day.but for the money 594.99 for atpro and 1500 for etrac you are not getting 3 times the machine .so i think the atpro is better just on that point.

hobby

Aug 9, 2013
the only machines i have used are Garretts 350 and ATpro but i have hunted with people with a etrac machine and i found the pro has a shorter depth range by about 1.5 inches other than that they are about the same .i think who ever knows there machine better would come out on top for the day.but for the money 594.99 for atpro and 1500 for etrac you are not getting 3 times the machine .so i think the atpro is better just on that point.

Every detector have a plus and minus E track detect deeper and the at pro can be used on land and in water

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the Minelab 705 and then order a Coiltek coil for it. If you only can buy one coil get the Coiltek 15" All Terrain 7.5 kHz

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The atp has no threshold that kills it for me, other than that the 705 has way more features and more coil choices some that change frequency.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well odd to see this thread because a buddy of mine just came over showing me his 705 asking me to spray some bedliner on the coil(works like a charm and no more coil covers) anyway we tried both the ATP and 705 and yes the 705 may have a couple bells and whistles more but it was slow on recovery and the ATP was screaming on targets that the 705 barely popped a signal. I like the 705 and thought of getting one but after today it failed to impress me especially for the money. Both are great machines and have their ups and downs but there is one thing Minelab will never compete with and that is Garrett's customer service. If anything goes wrong they are taking care of it with little to no questions but ask Minelab for the same courtesy and its like pulling teeth.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have pretty much narrowed it down to one of these machines.... Would love to get some input..
I mainly hunt coins in my area...

Bumping this thread since it asks my EXACT QUESTION

I am now down to these two detectors ... and I know most replies will be biased ... those who have the AT Pro will say "The AT Pro" and those who have the X-Terra 705 will say "Get the 705"!!! (Please none of those!!!)

I am looking for Unbiased replies ... I know both are great machines an I know I woudn't go wrong with either BUT I want to know more as of lately about these instead of what I have read in the past threads over the past couple years.

Anything new to say about these machines?

I am about 90% sold now on the Minelab but I'm gonna open this up just to see what recent "UNBIASED" comments we can get on the two compared side by side if possible.

Please only chime in if you can tell me maybe you have used both and not just to say one is better then the other cause you have it (you can't comment on a VS. thread if you have never used both).

Thanks so much. :)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I will tell you honestly I got no reason to be biased towards one cuz I think they all serve a seperate purpose, I have used both, in my opinion I do like the Atpro because if I am out in the woods or where ever I am if I come to a stream or water I can go for it, but then again with the 705 u can basically have 3 different detectors in one just by switching a coil & say example the Atpro u got 1 frequency & that's it no more

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Best All Purpose Metal Detector: Minelab X-Terra 705 vs Garrett AT Pro

The two top selling all-purpose metal detectors in the world are the Minelab X-Terra 705 and the Garrett AT Pro. The AT Pro is probably the most widely marketed metal detector ever. Advertising aside, what makes a great all-purpose detector:

1. Flexibility - Use in varied conditions, ability to change frequency, ability to change coil size and configuration. 2. Target ID - Especially important for coin and relic hunting. Allows hunter to determine target size, conductivity, depth, and in the end ability to distinguish trash from treasure. 3. Target Depth - Relative to the competition how deep can a machine locate specific targets. 4. Durability - From design to construction materials how will the detector hold up and what kind of support will the company provide. 5. Value - Simply cost versus benefits.

The table compares features and my ratings based on these 5 general categories. After this I will discuss each detector and provide some links to field tests and places to buy your choice for the best all purpose metal detector.

FEATURES Weight 3.3 lbs 2.9 lbs Adjustable Shaft Yes Yes Mfg Warranty 2 yrs 3 yrs

Search Modes

-Custom -Coins -Zero -Pro Modes (3) -Pinpoint

-Coin & Treasure -Prospecting -Discrimination Patterns -All Metal -Pinpoint Technology VLF VLF (V-Flex)

Frequencies 15 kHz 3 kHz 7.5 kHz 18.75 kHz Stock Coil 8.5x11" Elliptical Double D 9" Round Concentric Interchangeable Coils Yes (3) Yes (4) Waterproof Coil Yes Yes Waterproof Control Box Yes - 10 Feet No Discrimination Adjustable Adjustable Threshold NA Adjustable Sensitivity Adjustable Adjustable Ground Balancing Manual & Auto Manual & Auto Target ID Audio and Digital Audio and Digital Target ID Segments 12 28 Target Depth Indication Yes Yes Volume Fixed Adjustable Number of ID Audio Tones 3 Adjustable 1- Multi (28)

Exclusive Features

-Pro Audio Mode -Tone Roll Audio -Iron Audio -Fast Tracking -High-Res Iron -Waterproof to 10'

-V-Flex Digital Technology -Iron Mask Discrimination -Noise Cancellation

Price $595 $729 RELATIVE COMPARISON OF OVERALL ATTRIBUTES (10 Max) Flexibility 8 9 Target ID 8 8.5 Target Depth 8 8.5 Durability 9.5 9 Value 9 9

If you've made it this far your dilemma is..."which is the best all-purpose metal detector for me?" The last two words are the most important in this comparison. Where will you be detecting and what will you be looking for...that's the baseline.

The Minelab 705 takes the Flexibility category, due to it's V-flex technology; which means when you change coils the machine recognizes it and adjusts the search frequency. Generally, lower frequencies offer better sensitivity to copper and silver and better overall detection depth and trash rejection; while Higher frequencies are more sensitive to small metals and natural gold with a reduction in discrimination of nonferrous (not-of-iron) metals. The ability to swap the coils and truly change a single machine between a prospecting detector, a general park hunter, or a sharp shooting coin detector is still revolutionary. If you could dunk the Xterra 705 in the water, I would give a 10 of 10 for all-purpose flexibility.

The Garrett AT Pro holds its own in Flexibility with interchangeable coils and the ability to submerse the entire machine up to 10 feet. Fresh water detecting opens up a lot of productive areas. No matter what either manufacturer says neither of these detectors work well in salt water or on wet ocean beaches. Good saltwater beach detectors are simply a different beast all together.

Target ID on both machines is provided with variable audio tones and a numeric target ID. The Minelab has nearly twice the ID segments (28) which means it's slightly better in terms of specifically identifying a targets relative conductivity. Both machines provide you methods of determining if you are detecting "trash" or treasure, for example Iron Audio on the AT Pro.

Both detectors were air tested for Target Depth with the stock coils and maximum sensitivity using a silver dime and a 14 k gold ring. The Minelab Xterra hit the dime at 6.5" and the ring at 9.5". The Garrett AT Pro hit the dime at 5.5" and the ring at 8". Both are very respectable relative to other machines and depths you are likely to find these items. Of course both let you change the coil size to improve these numbers for specific types of targets.

I gave the AT Pro a bit higher of a score for Durability it's waterproof. Both detectors have good warranties and are backed by the two biggest and oldest detector manufacturers in the world. Both have very good manuals, informative videos, and good customer support. Garrett is touted by many as having the best customer service in the business.

So which all-purpose detector is the best Value...back to question number one! For general detecting at parks or old homes, both are very good. If you want to add detecting at the local lake or stream, then you should choose the Garrett AT Pro. If you want to add true nugget shooting for placer gold, then you should choose the Minelab X-Terra 705.

Personally, I have an Xterra 705. I live in the desert and love detecting for natural gold. I also spend a lot of my detecting hours at sports fields, old mining camps, pioneer camps, and abandoned homesteads. Do I wish I could detecting in the local fishing stream or lakes...of course. My answer to that was to buy a second detector that works in both salt and fresh water and can go to depths of 200 feet...because hey, if you're going in the water why limit yourself, right!

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
willybe, interesting you picked those two machines? First off any kind of moisture go with the AT-pro, both are excellent machines but neither the unit head or the standard coil of the 705 is water proof nor water resistant. I had Morning dew mess up my 705 coil, which ultimately led me to get rid of the unit. I tell everyone you can compare the science but not the technology. The science is simple enough and the technology goes around the horn in micro electronics and micro computing, all is very close and similar. I can say beyond experience that all major players are very close to each other with performance. all of that said, your use to the bell bongs and face plate setup of the Garrett, so stay with Garrett.
Good luck and Stay Gold!!
Opie

MichaelDigger

Jul 7, 2019
TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also had Garrett Ace 250. When I was choosing a new metal detector I had the same question. I had chosen the Garrett AT Pro :)

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bumping this thread since it asks my EXACT QUESTION

I am now down to these two detectors ... and I know most replies will be biased ... those who have the AT Pro will say "The AT Pro" and those who have the X-Terra 705 will say "Get the 705"!!! (Please none of those!!!)

I am looking for Unbiased replies ... I know both are great machines an I know I woudn't go wrong with either BUT I want to know more as of lately about these instead of what I have read in the past threads over the past couple years.

Anything new to say about these machines?

I am about 90% sold now on the Minelab but I'm gonna open this up just to see what recent "UNBIASED" comments we can get on the two compared side by side if possible.

Please only chime in if you can tell me maybe you have used both and not just to say one is better then the other cause you have it (you can't comment on a VS. thread if you have never used both).

Thanks so much. :)

it has been awhile since I have posted anything on Tnet I will try to answer your question as best I can I have both the Xterra 705 and the At pro purchased both at the same time back in 09 or 2010 while my wife and I was living in Ohio this was my findings with both machines.

My wife and I owned and lived in a house that was built in 1889 which is what actually got me into this great hobby of metal detecting the ATP was purchased for my wife because of its simplicity of use neither one of us had ever metal detected but with that being said we did not want to purchase detectors that we would make us feel like we needed to upgrade anytime soon so we chose the ATP and the 705,the house we owned and lived in had a back yard that was approximately 3/4 of an acre of land so we had plenty of area to detect and learn the machines we purchased I would have my wife detect a area and let her dig her targets once she would finish an area I would have her to switch areas with me I would detect her area and she would detect the area which I had been in but what I would do if I got a hit that she either missed or the ATP missed I would have her to come back over and sweep the target what I found was this if the targets were deeper then six inches the ATP would not even give a hint that there was a target to dig we did this for several months finally we ended up grid ding the back yard off and I would have my wife to just concentrate on digging the shallower targets with the ATP and I would dig the deeper targets with the 705 I was digging mercs and other targets that were over the six inch depth that the ATP would not hit on I still have both detectors but the 705 is my main detector I feel still to this day that the 705 is one of the most under rated detectors to have ever been produced the ATP I keep around for one reason and that is so I have a loaner machine for people that come and visit and I am in no way saying the ATP is a bad machine because it is not we made some great finds with it we do not hunt in the rain so I do not worry about water proof and at my age you will never see my fat butt jumping off into a body of water because contrary to what people say fat people don't float.

One suggestion I have if you are seriously considering the 705 is go to the Mine lab site and look for a the E book written by Randy Horton better known as Digger called Understanding your X Terra it is full of all kinds of info and well worth the read you will find in that book information on all the X Terra line you will also realize there is more to the 705 than meets the eye

Last edited:

Twogunbloodoath

Greenie
Mar 28, 2020
Trinity county CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705/ equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the 705 and have a couple coils. I run my 15” DD 18.75 kHz when searching old mining camps and smaller coils for prospecting. Depends on where I’m at. I like the target discrimination on the xterra. I can get a good idea of what m target is when I’m prospecting. I switch between coin and prospecting mode when in the creeks looking in bed rock to sort thru the trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread