You got to do more research..,

critter0527

Aug 24, 2013
I have been researching a spot for weeks now. I found out it was a now abandoned football and baseball field built behind a now abandoned school in a small village close to the house my father grew up in. There are pictures of my grandfather playing football here when he was in high school. I did all the research, looked through 100s of pictures, hand drew where the field, bleachers, concession stand, and walking paths were. I was ready

So I went and after two hours of digging up trash I was sweaty and empty handed. I had never seen so much metal trash in my life. I was walking back to the truck, defeated with my pocket full of garbage and two wheat cents to call it a day, when I see a middle age man walking toward me. I introduced myself ready to show him my written permission to do what I was doing when he asked me if I found anything as he was laughing.

Turns out he hunts as well and told me he is certain there should be good things there, but no one will ever find it. I guess in the 80s there was a train accident that spilled 6 train cars of metal scraps, mostly metal foil onto the old field. The played one more season of peewee football there and then moved because kids were being cut up by metal scraps in the dirt.

You win some and lose some...

Upvote 0

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that is interesting. I think some of the sites I have hunted must have had train wrecks on them too!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ain't it the truth. Some promising spots are a bust and some of the seemingly least likely turn up something good.
luvsdux

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw I I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some things or stories like that can't be researched. ( unfortunately ) you can learn more from talking to the old people or people who have lived around there. Same kinda thing happened to me as I put in 5 hours to find nothing to speak of and I was ready to quit for the day until I got one last signal. That's when I found my sleigh bell :)
Keep the faith and talk to as many people as you can. That's what I try to do although I've had some shady characters try to send me to some not so good places...

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bizarre ending! At least you found out the true story and can save yourself further frustration. Thanks for sharing. 8-)

Clay Fisher2

Jul 20, 2013
Middle GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmmm...so why was the man there? Hate to question one's honesty but as somebody posted previously, there are those that will mislead you. Among the twisted metal there very well could be remnants of the freight it was hauling?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread