AT PRO false signals

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my At Pro this past Friday. I had watched the video's on Garrett's website 3-4 nights in a row while I was waiting for it to arrive so I'd be all set. From the start, with the settings in factory default, in standard coin mode , after doing the ground balance adjustment, this machine is all over the place. The target I'd goes as low as 3 and not moving the machine much changes to 40 then 75, and so quick 99 then back to 40 then 4.I have to back the sensitivity down to only 2 notches to get it to stabilize. The next problem is false high tone signals. I get readings 75-99 at 8 inches , dig , dig ,and dig some more and nothing is there. I've dug at least a dozen different times and nothing. The last false tonight was a 92 at 4 inches. Dug ,dug and dug to over a foot . Kept pinpointing as I dug and kept reading 4 inches the whole time thru. This unit is highly rated in the detector world , so what is it I'm not doing right?

Upvote 0

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is your cable coil seated correctly into the control box and tight? I had an issue in the beginning I was wearing cargo pants. My cell phone was in the lower right pocket and it was causing interference. Cell towers caused me an issue too.

OP
OP
T

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the cable is seated good and tight. Not wearing cargo pants and I make sure there is nothing interfering.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It still sounds like your cable is not seated properly. Remember it has an o-ring and you may think it's tight but it's not. I had the same problem with mine the 1st week i had my ATP.

I have over 300 hours on my ATP and rarely get a false signal. I have a 5x8 coil now but when i had the std coil It would often pick up more than one object and give multiple signals during a swing.

You may want to slow your swinging down as well because if you swing to fast your machine can't process the conductivity fast enough and you will get tones and numbers all over the place.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although you can swing the ATP faster than most because it has a fast reaction time it will give you multiple readings. As far as the deep dig you did with high ID# and it showing shallow depth meter that usually indicates can slaw or some kind of larger object. It can overload the machine,can cause it to pinpoint incorrectly etc etc. When you get a reading in the sweet numbers do two things..hit you iron audio button and listen for the grunt telling u its junk of it doesn't raise your coil a good 6" off the ground and if you are still getting a signal it's trash. You have to be in pro mode for this. Also that tone roll you may have heard of in the videos is a time saver too. You hear that low high low filing tone that's another giveaway on trash.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

RobSFRD

Jun 5, 2013
Urbana,Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The depth is really only accurate in the pinpointing mode. I was getting readings of 4-6 inches, then pinpoint would say 2" and it's at two.

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use mine only in pro mode and ground balance often if you have high mineral soil and sen setting 3 notches down from max. and you can try a different freq i use freq 1 for field work and freq 4 for salt beaches good luck.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine does the same thing. Garrett sent me a new coil, that did not fix the problem. They said step was to send the whole unit in.

SunriseBoy

Sep 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The start of this thread could have been written by me.

I got my AT Pro yesterday and was down at the beach today at Palm Cove just north of Cairns; an what happened to TP is exactly what happened to me. It drove me nuts!
And I'm sorry but I don't thing that comes anywhere near being a coincidence.
Yes, the cable is fixed securely.

I think Garrett have a fairly slack attitude. This kind of thing has been going on for some time and they appear to be no closer to fixing the issue. But having written to them a couple of times and not receiving a reply; this stuff is to be expected.
It's all about perceptions, advertising and profits.

SunriseBoy

Sep 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was on another page on TN (so I hope the precious thought police here don't get a case of ****-on-the-liver)
My Garrett AT Pro would false when I bumped sticks or got to close and scrubbed the ground. I factory reset the machine many times just like in the Garrett videos on youtube. Well my detector was on when I reset it.
To truly factory reset the machine it should be done while the unit is off. Press and hold the power button for 5-8 seconds.
Resetting this way fixed my falsing problem and I hope it helps someone else good luck and happy hunting everyone! Jeremy

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The start of this thread could have been written by me.

I got my AT Pro yesterday and was down at the beach today at Palm Cove just north of Cairns; an what happened to TP is exactly what happened to me. It drove me nuts!
And I'm sorry but I don't thing that comes anywhere near being a coincidence.
Yes, the cable is fixed securely.

I think Garrett have a fairly slack attitude. This kind of thing has been going on for some time and they appear to be no closer to fixing the issue. But having written to them a couple of times and not receiving a reply; this stuff is to be expected.
It's all about perceptions, advertising and profits.

Are you detecting the wet sand?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had issues with mine at first where it was bouncy and going crazy..but then I set it in pro mode figured out the sensitivity and learned how to use it..now it's my best friend

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure you ground balance correctly as well. You need at least 50 to 100 hours on your ATP before you think it is a problem. I wanted to throw mine in the junk the 1st week i had it. One you learn the ATP it really talks to you and once you learn what it says the ATP is coin hog.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
If it was bought used & has no cam locks, those early units need to be sent in & for a price they make it better & add cam locks to indicate a newer or updated unit. Other than that, I haven't heard much else about problems. I could not get anything deep until I had the ground balance set properly, Then, deep & tilted coins loud without much trash & total quiet in between. I was using it the easy way, STD mode, coins program, sensitivity 7 of 8, iron totally rejected (40). Most use PRO mode & accept some iron. You could call Garrett & let them hear over the phone what it does or doesn't do as you make various adjustments. Best wishes.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only time mine has ever done this is when I am close to a source of EMI!

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you ground balance correctly as well. You need at least 50 to 100 hours on your ATP before you think it is a problem. I wanted to throw mine in the junk the 1st week i had it. One you learn the ATP it really talks to you and once you learn what it says the ATP is coin hog.

It is amusing to see statements like this..........................

"I think Garrett have a fairly slack attitude. This kind of thing has been going on for some time and they appear to be no closer to fixing the issue. But having written to them a couple of times and not receiving a reply; this stuff is to be expected.
It's all about perceptions, advertising and profits."

Then once the machines features are understood and used, it's all love and sunshine in the next post...... As you said, perhaps folks should take a little time to learn the machine before going ballistic immediately. Do some searches, read some forums, put the time in with the machine. Any machine.........

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on where you are detecting. If it's a saltwater beach with black sand, you may get some interference. Ground balance between 0-20 in salt, redo the ground balance when changing for dry sand to wet sand to water. If this is happening in normal soil, try the factory reset, redo ground balance, turn sensitivity two notches below max and see if that helps. If these suggestions don't work, call or email Garrett and they will get you taken care of.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions