$500- $750 detector

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, As some of you may know, I have begun to look at an upgrade to my beloved Fisher F2 (although I will likely not purchase one for the next several months or so, I just want to start narrowing down the field). I realize that most I you are probably bored to death by these questions, so I apologize in advance, but I have one question for you. What do you think is the bet metal detector for old deep coins (8+ inches would be awesome!). I know this is very broad and that I'll get a million different answers, but I just want to know how you guys feel about it, when replying, keep in mind:

-My budget haha
- I can buy a USED detector as well
-I am hunting coins and jewelry, not relics
-I do not do a lot of water hunting
-I do not NEED a screen, I are about performance
-my soil (I believe) I pretty mild
-please tell me why you support that machine

Extra information:
I'm mostly looking into the AT Pro, a used F75, A tek. 8000, or a Whites MXT.

Thank you all in advance!
C4C

Upvote 0

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I'm extremely happy with my Tesoro Outlaw and you can get it in a 3 coil package new for $550. It weighs just over 2 lbs, get's great depth, amazing discrimination, pinpointing and it takes a single 9 volt battery which I have 52 hours on and it is still going strong.
Two other Tesoro's I'm looking at is the Tejon & the Golden UMax.

Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

Tejon is $600 and is a deep machine.
Golden UMax is $450 with different tones and is a great coin machine.

Check out different video's on YouTube and see which one catches your eye.

I just sold my GTI 2500 & my Explorer SE Pro after 5+ years of using them and I'm way more happier with my Outlaw than them and they are higher cost machines. Can't say enough good things about Tesoro.
I thought I'd be a Minelab guy and laughed at Tesoro's just by looking at them and thinking they were old dinosaur machines.
Then I tried one and was pleasantly surprised. I bought one and I'm blown away.
I've grown as a detectorist more in the last few weeks using a Tesoro than I had in the 16 + years on my other machines I owned and others I got to try out.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I use a Fisher CZ3D for deep coin hunting. I think it is mighty hard to beat. If you want one,, I know someone [ not me ] who has a nice one for sale for $450 including headphones . Pm me if interested.

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
look for a minelab quattro,easy to use,great at the beach (wet or dry sand),good target info,and DEEP! i've seen them as cheap as $350...good luck

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The machines you mentioned will work fine. I have the MXT PRO and the TDI (for relic hunting). My friends have the AT PRO and the F75. Minelab and Tesoro's are great machines as well. I don't use a display when relic hunting but find it very helpful when coin hunting. I can tell about 90% of the time if the target is a nickel or not just by the VDI number. On my MXT PRO if the VDI is a constant 19 to 22 and doesn't change then most of the time it would be a nickel. If the number changes on every swing then it will be pull tab or trash. On the other hand gold rings will read as pull tabs as well. I have dug coins 12" deep with my MXT PRO so I know it will find deep coins. I am sure the others should be just as deep. One tip to finding deep coins is that you have to swing much slower and dig the faintest signal. They will not be as loud as the ones only 3" deep. Personally getting a machine is more of personal preference. I would not have a problem getting a Minelab, Tesoro, Garrett, Fisher or White's. You just have to take the time to learn your machine and learn what it is telling you. I am thinking about adding a Tesoro and an AT PRO to my arsenal. I like the waterproof feature of the AT PRO. One can never have too many machines... lol

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all of your input, guys!

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone else want to share their opinions? I appreciate any responses!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Xterra 505 and 705 are great detectors! Very versatile, deep and sensitive. Its a minelab, after all. They dont even bother with 'entry level' machines. They start at the intermediate level with the $400 X terra 305!

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Xterra 505 and 705 are great detectors! Very versatile, deep and sensitive. Its a minelab, after all. They dont even bother with 'entry level' machines. They start at the intermediate level with the $400 X terra 305!

Thanks, Scott!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$500- $750 detector

Crazy4Coins, I will sell you my used Silver uMax for $600 and that will leave you enough to purchase a Garrett Pro Pointer!

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crazy4Coins, I will sell you my used Silver uMax for $600 and that will leave you enough to purchase a Garrett Pro Pointer!

Huh? I can buy a new silver Umax for $270...

An like I said earlier, I will likely not be purchasing for the next several months.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume that you were joking haha!

But you can never be sure when your reading online :)

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
A used Minelab Explorer II will run about $500.I've found approx. 1250 silver coins in just over 5 years with mine,in heavily pounded urban parks.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A used Minelab Explorer II will run about $500.I've found approx. 1250 silver coins in just over 5 years with mine,in heavily pounded urban parks.

Wow, that's crazy!
How good is it in trash, though?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's crazy!
How good is it in trash, though?

Minelabs in general have an excellent reputation for the ability to separate trash from treasure.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more vote for the Xterra. It is considerably lighter than other Minelabs and many other detectors and a great coin shooter.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
My Outlaw is much better than my Explorer in trashy area's and have a 14K ring & a 10K small thin necklace so far to show in ground already covered by the SE.
The Explorer had a hard time picking up thin gold necklaces in my test garden and my GTI 2500 was pretty much useless on them.
I was a diehard Explorer guy for over 5 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread