Cant stand a cheat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't stand a cheat!

Assateague beach in MD has a no detecting policy from memorial day to labor day so today is usually a big rush to that beach. However for some time we have had a bunch of asshats that come from Baltimore and other places,lets say non-locals, who come in and camp spend the night and actually the night before the beach is open to law abiding detectorists go out in the dark and hunt the beach.

We arrived at 9am for the gates to open only to see people already on the beach detecting.no big deal because they opened the gates a few minutes early,however when we hit the beach there were holes every where. A large group scanning the sand came up with nothing but a few clad. 4 months with nobody hunting a well trafficked beach and nothing? Talk about some pissed off people. We knew it was those same asshats again. Seems we have too many posts about shows that incite ppl to become greedy hunters with no morals but here we already have that and been going on before any show on TV.
That's the stuff that makes me angry, people who feel it necessary to cheat, break the law just so they can get it before you do. I'd love to find one of these people and shove his detector where the sun don't shine, the more sand on it the better.
What do the officers say about it...we don't have the man power to patrol the beaches at night and the people know it. Just pathetic.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Post a link to the law or this is just a case of someone not getting out of bed early enough.

Here is what I found for ass beach:

• What other restrictions apply to the beach?
    Alcohol, glass, pets, fires, and charcoal grills are not allowed on the beach at any time. Metal detectors are only allowed beginning the day after Labor Day through May 30th and only on the ocean side of the primary dune. Metal detecting will not be allowed from May 31st until the day after Labor Day. Any exceptions must obtain written permission from Park Manager. All holes dug may only be as deep as a small child’s knees and must be filled in before visitors’ leave. No tunneling is allowed. All recreational nets should be set-up parallel to the ocean to allow emergency vehicles access to the beach.

Nothing in that says anything about 9 am. Only the "day use" has a 9 am restriction, so lets see what that is shall we:

• What’s in the day-use area?
    The day-use area has a camp store/gift shop, concession stand and a bathhouse with warm showers. Lifeguards are on duty in the beach area from 10 am to 5 pm from Memorial Day to Labor Day. The day-use area is open from 9 am to sunset.

So quitcher bichin and get out of bed earlier.

Jason .... SAY IT ISN'T SO!! (good sleuthing work).

Jeanne

Jun 15, 2013
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX750
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Assateague beach in MD has a no detecting policy from memorial day to labor day so today is usually a big rush to that beach. However for some time we have had a bunch of asshats that come from Baltimore and other places,lets say non-locals, who come in and camp spend the night and actually the night before the beach is open to law abiding detectorists go out in the dark and hunt the beach.

Geeezzz, I thought the whole USA was for Americans....

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey I know all to well about cheaters, Here in Michigan, there is metro beach in harrison township on lake st. clair, that has the same exact policy as the one being talked about, open after labor day.
Well back in the 80's even that special day the MDers called it opening day, and I kid you not there would be so many swingers out there, most machines wouldnt work right from the interference, that and bumping coils, so apprently in a act of good sportmanship, ( NOT ) alot of guys throughout the summer would sneak onto the beach from driving their boats up onto it at night, guess they did not want to share with the other children...greedy $#@$#
I know it was happening alot, because in them days there was alot more fellowship than there is now, and you would hear of people being arrested for sneaking in from time to time, and to think back then gold was like 330 bucks an ounce, I have not been out there in 15 years or so, and I cannot fathom how many people must cheat and sneak in now, with gold the price it is.
But in todays world, Morals is a word seldom heard anymore..thats all I have to say about that.../rant off

Mike

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well considering Jason's and my recent past and I have him ignored I do appreciate you reposting what he said for me. love it "quitcher bichin" how nice...Well those rules are easy to follow if you take the time to read them especially that one part "The day-use area is open from 9 am to sunset." if you actually go to this place you can read the full rules about metal detecting, like where, how and when. We spoke to the incoming supervisor who has been informed by the DNR of the damage the midnight hunters did including the death of one of the ponies. The electric fence was cut and a fence knocked down so they could gain access to the dunes and other restricted areas. The new supervisor states there will be steps made to ensure this doesn't happen again but it will not infringe upon us at all. Guys all I was doing was pointing out that once again the people we don't like, the ones who do stupid things that end up kicking us in the butt, struck once again...literally this time and a pony died for it. Instead of people agreeing with the fact we have to deal with these idiots what takes up most of the thread? remarks about how I should do the same as them and show up at 12:01am to get my share or that apparently I don't know what I am talking about or I am just jealous because I didn't think of it etc. Seriously? We spoke directly to the people in charge and this place happens to be our yearly end of summer get together for the club which we have done for 24 years now so I am going to go way out on a limb here and say we may know what we are talking about. But hey thanks for an amusing thread once again, was fun like pouring salt in a paper cut.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Near as I can figure out, your beef is that you think some people jumped the gun in hunting this particular beach, right? Then what are all the other incidents about? Couldn't they have happened at any time of year? If someone isn't going to follow the rules, does it matter on which day they they violate them? Am I missing something here?

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bunch of whining ol hags' put your big boy pants back on and get out there and swing. stop your:censored:

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand your frustration...I would be ticked off too if I tried to go by the spirit and intent of the regulations and someone else got there before me. I think the guys going in after midnight are within the regulations.

See bullet number 9 at this link: Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Maryland Park Service

What other restrictions apply to the beach?
Alcohol, glass, pets, fires, and charcoal grills are not allowed on the beach at any time. Metal detectors are only allowed beginning the day after Labor Day through May 30th and only on the ocean side of the primary dune. Metal detecting will not be allowed from May 31st until the day after Labor Day. Any exceptions must obtain written permission from Park Manager. All holes dug may only be as deep as a small child’s knees and must be filled in before visitors’ leave. No tunneling is allowed. All recreational nets should be set-up parallel to the ocean to allow emergency vehicles access to the beach.

Last edited:

mikecar007

Aug 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharp Shooter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have camped at the national park for the last 6years. I have never brought my detector because it says on their site it's not allowed, guess you can on the state side? Hmmm

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems they might or might not have read the rules a bit differently. If you think that is bad, come to Northern California when the abalone season starts. People are even pulling guns on each other. The people that dont like to wake up early, complain about the early birds. The people that are single, complain about the big families that grab all the abalone. The ones that come late, cant find a parking place, so park anywhere they want, so the sheriff and game department have a full time job, just writing out tickets. Then, on the way home, its a traffic stop, and all suspicious cars are pulled over and searched. By the end of the season, things calm down a bit, but still some crazies out there. Oh yeah, lots of complaints from the locals, about the outsiders coming in too. If you have a Cal fishing license and abalone tags, your legal, but some folks dont see it that way. "There MY abalone".

So who is right, I sure dont know, but its fun watching from the side lines.

I Dig Jesus

Feb 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster DB / Classic ID / M6 Matrix / & now The Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where we are, beaches, parks, are closed from dusk to dawn........So if its posted that way..........yup..............illegal..........if not, immoral...........for sure.

I believe I would be just as frustrated....................as it sure seems that just finding a place to enjoy our hobby is becoming so difficult.....................It sure wouldn't be the Christian thing to do........................But................Next year..........I might have to purchase 2, 3000 count containers of BB's!, or washers.......your choice! :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's not posted, or written in the park rules somewhere, why would be immoral to get an early start on the day? So you think that contaminating the beach with thousands of BB's IS the Christian thing to do?? Your beaches are really closed at dusk? No beach bonfires at night so you can roast marshmallows? I feel sorry for you....and your kids......government run amok again.....

I Dig Jesus

Feb 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster DB / Classic ID / M6 Matrix / & now The Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look again Cudamark, Wouldn't not would not......and was making a bad joke........but fully understand the frustration. :tongue3:

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you think that contaminating the beach with thousands of BB's IS the Christian thing to do?? ......government run amok again.....

Please lets not bring religion and politics into this. Remember, the library is full of good books and the country is full of crooked folks, lets leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread