Cant stand a cheat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't stand a cheat!

Assateague beach in MD has a no detecting policy from memorial day to labor day so today is usually a big rush to that beach. However for some time we have had a bunch of asshats that come from Baltimore and other places,lets say non-locals, who come in and camp spend the night and actually the night before the beach is open to law abiding detectorists go out in the dark and hunt the beach.

We arrived at 9am for the gates to open only to see people already on the beach detecting.no big deal because they opened the gates a few minutes early,however when we hit the beach there were holes every where. A large group scanning the sand came up with nothing but a few clad. 4 months with nobody hunting a well trafficked beach and nothing? Talk about some pissed off people. We knew it was those same asshats again. Seems we have too many posts about shows that incite ppl to become greedy hunters with no morals but here we already have that and been going on before any show on TV.
That's the stuff that makes me angry, people who feel it necessary to cheat, break the law just so they can get it before you do. I'd love to find one of these people and shove his detector where the sun don't shine, the more sand on it the better.
What do the officers say about it...we don't have the man power to patrol the beaches at night and the people know it. Just pathetic.

Upvote 0

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two sayings here.....
Gonna wait for the midnight hour or The early bird gets the worm
You decide which one is better

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither one...these ppl knew what they were doing, they planned it knowing nobody was patrolling so they broke the law...basically an attitude of to hell with the law, to hell with the ppl who abide by it,im getting mine when I want to. I do like the song references though, I'd rather for them to hear the theme song to cops.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like some good fuel to learn how to build a EMF machine to nuke their detectors when you see them lol.

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Karma is real. They'll get theirs in the end, you can bet on it ;)

Happy Hunting!

JoeB_OH

Dec 19, 2012
Cleveland , Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Bounty Hunter Tracker 4.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have the exact policy here in Ohio, (The Cleveland metro parks), & I noticed yesterday not much to be found! It's obvious people have been detecting in the park, beaches for some time!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well, how do you know those people didn't start till after mid-night? In which case, they would technically be within the law, for having waited till the correct day.

I guess your "beef" is that they went in to the park before the gates were open? Well, I'm not sure about your parks there, but .... where I'm at, the gate is simply for when cars can go in. There's nothing to stop walk-in traffic from going in earlier. In other words, there's really no "hours of operation" for the beach, per se. And the "gate" is merely when the car lot opens up. Pedestrians can walk down the beach, or come in on walk-paths, at any time.

So are you sure that to simply even BE there in the night, is forbidden? Because if not, then let this be a lesson to you, in future years, that you too should start at 12:01am. Early bird gets the worm.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
their playing fast and loose -- they camp out and wait until 12:01am then its that day "legally" speaking -- unless the beach is legally "closed" / off limits with some type of police to enforce the we are closed until we come open the "gate" to let cars in policy . -- frankly if no one enforces the rules --so long as no one stops them , and their making good finds --do not expect it to stop.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, how do you know those people didn't start till after mid-night? In which case, they would technically be within the law, for having waited till the correct day.

I guess your "beef" is that they went in to the park before the gates were open? Well, I'm not sure about your parks there, but .... where I'm at, the gate is simply for when cars can go in. There's nothing to stop walk-in traffic from going in earlier. In other words, there's really no "hours of operation" for the beach, per se. And the "gate" is merely when the car lot opens up. Pedestrians can walk down the beach, or come in on walk-paths, at any time.

So are you sure that to simply even BE there in the night, is forbidden? Because if not, then let this be a lesson to you, in future years, that you too should start at 12:01am. Early bird gets the worm.

BINGO !!!!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why these types of laws (including many gun laws) are so ridiculous. Only the law abiding will follow them. It's obvious that no harm is being done or it would be a year round ban. Why just ban detecting in the summer? The solution to your problem is either to join the law breakers as a protest to the unfair nature of the ordinance, to change the law for year round hunting which is what it should be in a "free" country, or to take your beatings and not complain about it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
This is why these types of laws (including many gun laws) are so ridiculous. Only the law abiding will follow them. It's obvious that no harm is being done or it would be a year round ban. Why just ban detecting in the summer? The solution to your problem is either to join the law breakers as a protest to the unfair nature of the ordinance, to change the law for year round hunting which is what it should be in a "free" country, or to take your beatings and not complain about it.

Why do you think some law is being broken here? Read again. It's not certain that any law was broken. Those other fellows may indeed have waited till 12:01am to hunt. The issue was that they walked in before the gate opened (or camped there overnight as perhaps they have camping facilities?). If it was an issue of a gate, then that might simply have been for when the parking lot opens for cars to drive in. It doesn't necessarily mean that pedestrians can't walk on the beach. They would simply have to walk from further away, wherever they could find parking.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pirates don't whine.. :skullflag:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sympathize with you. I know the feeling when you try to do things right so everyone has an equal chance. I am sure your real beef is that they are out of towners. To me it's mostly mutual respect which most people don't give a dam about these days. It's like driving while intoxicated and your .07999 or .05999 whichever the law is but your legal because you didn't reach the .08 or .06, to me 12:01 may be legal but you have to be pretty greedy to detect a beach at 12:01 hoping you will find the mother load or that 5k ring everyone hopes to find.

When i ever I run across another detector I talk to them but we most often go our separate ways and wish each other luck. It's kind of mutual respect that you don't hunt the same place as him unless you go out together.

We all know you can't do much about it but next year I would be there at 12:01 with a posse and line up shoulder to shoulder and I would be willing to bet they wouldn't stay long

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it say any where in the law you cant MD at 12.01 or at 3 am on that day. We hunt our beaches at night all the time in mass much easier no people to deal with .i agree with Normsel next year I would be there at 12:01 with a posse and line up shoulder to shoulder .

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have the same rules and policies at the Michigan Metro Parks where the beaches are open to detecting after Labor Day till Memorial Day. Nobody is allowed to detect other times, but I can get in to do it as I am hired by people that lost jewelry and the parks can't stop people from trying to find their property. I find a lot more than what I am looking for. Should I toss those rings back for the other guys to find? I remove trash like chicken bones, band-aids, gum, paper cups. Stuff a guest shouldn't see in the water. I put out business cards, have coffee cups made to distribute to park managers, take park managers to lunch, deliver pizzas to staff. Its just business. If your not doing this, why not? I know, it is just a hobby with you.

Last edited:

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
If there is no rule against camping out at night on the beach I don't see the problem.
Am I missing something?
Is this any different than camping out in front of a ticket office to get your concert tickets, or outside your Toys R Us for that G I Joe with a kung fu grip that you promised little Johnny for Christmas?
I think not.
We don't own the parking lots or the stores, and we don't own the beaches either.
Assuming of course that they followed the rules, if you can't beat'em, join'em.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The whole thing sounds kind of scuzzy to me too bz.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an interesting thread as I see both sides of the story.
But it all boils down to the law of nature and here's the biggest problem in my eyes.....
What does anyone expect when they agree to meet and hunt a beach at 9 a.m.?
Is this stated by the park law that you can't detect until 9 when the gates open?
Out here, most beach hunters are packing it in at 9 because they started at 4 or 5 in the morning!
I'm sorry that it didn't pan out after waiting so long for it to be open to hunting.
You know what to do next year!
Cheers,
Dave.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey pippin-white-paws, how is it "cheating"? If the law only stated that the place opened to md'ing on a certain day, and if someone goes in as 12:01 or 3am, why is that "cheating"? Sounds like a wise person's tactic to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread