trying to do research need advice.

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 And Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been trying to do some research on where to go metal detecting and can't really find stuff to helps out on the internet. Is there any web sites that anyone can suggest or ways they have found that is useful to you. I looked up old maps and history, but in my area it seems everything has been built on or I can't get to areas because of businesses in the area don't allow. Any suggestions for me is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

critter0527

Aug 24, 2013
What is your target? You have to start there. Do you want old relics? Your mention of old maps makes me think so. Is that true?

mdnewguy

Greenie
Sep 4, 2013
Durant, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same problem here in Ok. Been scrubbing around finding nothing, but still having fun. Seems like everything here is a "Historical Site".

OP
OP
spcfarr2000

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really would like to find old coins or anything old I lime military stuff

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TreasureNet

OP
OP
spcfarr2000

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live outside of Pittsburgh

chiefdanaho

Jun 6, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up your city or towns website first..They will certainly have a history tab that you can click on..

next hit your city-town-county historical society website, usually good info there..

next hit your library , go to the local section, and look through old newspapers for clues, churches , local pictures etc..

next find all your local water sources, rivers,creeks, lakes etc..long ago folks didn't travel, or live, far from water..

that should get you started..I would look at maps last, after I knew what I was looking for...

scott

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to your town library and get the Writers Project Guide,the" WPA Guide to PA."that will keep you busy for a while.

critter0527

Aug 24, 2013
Just my thoughts on this topic in general...

Approach this hobby like grocery shopping. That is, know what your looking for before going to the store. Also, make sure you have enough time to shop.

That being said, old coins and military things are sold at two different stores. You wouldn't carry your wallet to battle or your rifle to the farmers market.

Start by picking your product, and go from there. I like to hunt for coins mostly, so I started with trying to find the high points of life around 1950. I picked that date because my grandfather knew where everything was then. He told me that a certain lot use to be a grocery store, and others that were parks or picknick areas. I then went from there. Try talking to the elders in your kneck of the woods. Let them tell you stories. It's good research and good for your soul ( I really think that )
I was told recently that there was a public campsite near my house because the old timer brought me pictures of himself and his family from the 60's. he didn't know I was researching, and I really enjoyed the company.

Really it's all about getting connected to your local life. Military things will be found the same way. Find a local vet, even if they didn't fight in the war your looking for. Vets know other vets, and war stories become legends.

Librarys and maps are ok, but they never will beat human contact. I didn't realize it until recently. The Internet has made me lazy.

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
looking for stuff, if your going for old coins, relics or ghost towns and cabins, civil war, try early news papers. there are a few on line. if something looks good, than go on line for early maps or early town sites. now its slow going, but reading some of those old papers can lead to a good pay day. if i can help pm me. good luck
free historic PA newspapers on line

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
A few fast hints. The back yards where the rich have lived in the past. The Library of Congress site will show CCC & WPA sites, some with pictures. United States Treasure Atlas By: Thomas P. Terry. It is ten volumes, but Pa. is all in volume 8. It is listed by counties and even has the sites on a map. You can check the library or Pick up your state volume on line, Amazon etc. Good luck Frank...

shack 1939 Beauford, S.C._0069.jpg

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
spcfarr2000:

Old race tracks, sites for country fairs, old parking lots, old school sites, as pointed out above hunting or summer camps of the rich and famous, check newspaper accounts for bootleggers busted during Prohibition, minor league baseball and football fields (particularly the parking lots or around where spectators sat), CCC camps - just a few suggestions.

I'd purchase KvonM's Coinshooter's Manual, as well.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
spcfarr2000

spcfarr2000

Jun 17, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that is a lot of great information thank you all for posting . I can't wait to get out and try all the techniques you told me about

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread