So do you guys think I can get away with detecting in my citys parks?

Scooby903

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So do you guys think I can get away with detecting in my city's parks?

Here is the ordinance that I'm worried about:

Sec. 1.10.062 Injuring vegetation, structures or other property

It shall be unlawful for any person to cut, break, deface or in any way injure the trees, shrubs, plants, grass, turf, fountains, seats, fences, structures, improvements, ornaments, monuments, or property within or upon any of the public parks. (2001 Code, sec. 96.02)

Upvote 0

Plug

Jul 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doubtful, what city is it? The less populated the city the less likely you'll get hassled. Also if you're detecting in the off season you'll have better odds than in summer when everyone's at the park

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It shall be unlawful for any person to cut, break, deface or in any way injure the trees, shrubs, plants, grass, turf, fountains, seats, fences, structures, improvements, ornaments, monuments, or property within or upon any of the public parks. (2001 Code, sec. 96.02)

Go during less populated times like early in mornings.

Plug

Jul 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if you're detecting in sand or dirt it would be different than digging up in "grass" or "turf" too.

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are others who will weigh in I am sure but....Use a probe for coin popping, leave no holes if you have to dig. If you leave no sign you were ever there you have not defacED or injurED anything. Low traffic times are the best times to be there. I would be more worried if you find a reg on possession and use of larger diggers. Oh yes, stop tipping over the monuments.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also learn to not dig but rather use a probe and extract the target with a long handle flat head screw driver.....You can also just not detect the city parks and look for other places to detect...

Check the county parks they usually have less restrictions...........

OP
OP
S

Scooby903

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice guys! I was planning on waking up a little early tomorrow and seeing if I could hit the park before it gets too hot!

Plug - I live in Chandler, TX...roughly 2500 people I think

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m sure a lot of cities have laws like that in place to deal with people who are really being idiots. Just use some common sense and you should be fine. I hunt city parks all the time and have never had a problem, although I do know people who have been kicked out, and there are reasons for that. As others have said, stick with times when the park is less busy. Dress appropriately for the neighborhood. Save the chamo pants, army boots, and utility belt for the ghetto parks. Keep the gear light and simple: digging tool, finds pouch, pinpointer, kneepads, and drop cloth (a Frisbee works well also and fits in with the surroundings). Don’t bring any digging tools larger than a Lesche knife. No mini-shovels or long handled diggers. Keep your plugs big enough to preserve the grass, but not so big that people think you’re destroying the turf. 5 or 6" is pretty safe. Just pop the shallow targets. Smile at everyone you meet, even if they’re giving you the hairy eyeball. Enjoy your hobby.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Every park, in every city, in the entire USA has such verbage, in some form or fashion. But no, they do not necessarily equate to: "no md'ing". The reason is as rickv14623 says: All such texts inherently apply to the end result. Thus if you leave the area with no trace of your presence, then you technically have not done any of those things listed there. Ie.: you have not injurED, anything.

Might there be some busy-body who debates that semantics? SURE! Avoid such lookie-lous and go at low traffic times. Like picking your nose: not necessarily illegal .... but .... you and I *still* choose discrete times so as not to be an eyesore. :icon_thumleft:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allot of good answers already

LOL on " injure " the trees, shrubs, plants, grass, turf etc.
I wonder if they have a weekly Cry fest for the trees :tongue3:
maybe take a Tube of pain reliever & a box of Band-aids along :laughing7:

Seriously though....

Low Profile, & if approached Smile big and treat them like your happy to see them.
Joke a little how the gold is still hiding if asked if you found any.
and generally just act like your out getting "Recreation" in the park :thumbsup:

Happy Hunting :coffee2:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of excellent advice here. In short, don't be seen with a shovel and just pop the coins out leaving no trace that you were there. Deeper coins that require a plug, I just leave them.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scooby.... dont worry about it. I live in Chandler too and have hunted Winchester Park while the parks guys are there or the cops pulled up in the parking lot. Never had an issue.

If you want to hunt Tyler parks..... just go into the parks dept over in Harvey hall and get a free permit. Stay out of Childrens, Bergfeld and Goodman parks. Dont let them catch you on the soccer fields at Lindsey either.

We should meet up sometime and hunt. I dont hit parks much.... but I have permissions and other public places I seek out.

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading all of them regulations, I wouldn't feel comfortable.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally would go in the morning...and if you catch shiii then play stupid....I know they dont care here in Ft Worth...there are so many bums and low-lifes that hangout/live at the parks...i dont think they notice me...the sad thing is most the older parks are so run down and full of trash (people)

Aug 10, 2013
Warren NJ
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like my same counties ordinance...if ya happen to be in warren nj give me a shout we can test their ordinance together. Otherwise just follow these good peoples advice!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like it's illegal to cut, trim, prune or mow.

Call the police the next time you see them doing any of the above.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
haha

Good one G.I.B. :)

Hey, you notice how no one ever goes in to ask (or ever checks rules websites, city codes, etc...) when it comes to cleats, right? Yet we all know that cleats can (sometimes) hurt the grass. Therefore, technically, they "injure the vegatation."

Yet if a person goes to the city hall and asks "Hi, can I wear cleats in the park?", they might shrug their shoulders and say "sheesk, I don't see why not?". But if that person goes to city hall and says "Hi, can I injure the grass?", they would of course say "no". So does that mean that ... no, you can't wear cleats then? No. No one makes that silly leap of logic.

Thus we md'rs too should not concentrate on potential end results of our activity. We're just "metal detecting", not "injuring the grass". Heck, if anything, we're even MORE saintly than cleat-wearers, because we go out of our way to cover our tracks and leave no trace. Thus, just like for other activities, all such verbage applies to the end result.

Any nosy busy-body can come by and disagree with those semantics. Fine. Let them. This is why I've gotten to where I hunt some parks at night nowadays. So peaceful. So serene :)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's always that chance the "in authority" figure has had too much nagging from the spouse, or the kids have been a little too hard on the wallet that week, and decides md'ing would fall under this broad ordinance. This was put into place to thwart those reckless people that willingly destroy or damage trees, shrubs, flowers and other things that make our public lands more pleasant. I am sure we have all seen the mower scrapes left by the people cutting the grass that are more apparent than any plug we caring hobbyists might leave behind. As posted above, don't be seen carrying a shovel and make a point of being seen picking up trash. No park employee is going to complain when you're doing what THEY are paid to do.
On the lighter side, if the "in authority" figure decides you should be carted off to jail, don't call me for bail money:tongue3:

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Ehem, just use a screwdriver, nothing else, so when somebody says thats going to hurt the turf, just tell them, hey the best lawns around have the grass aerated, ( incase you do not know what that is, it is long spikes driven into the grass )
So in other words you are making the grass better by poking holes into it, its hard to argue that point.

Mike

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LMAO Good One Chug We will Have to Remember that One!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions